heartbreaking what do i say ?

Guest happy feet

Guest happy feet

:confusedxmas: Ethan is 10 and has always been againist the move to Oz, we have had our up's and down's, but tonite broke my heart. Ethan has had a girlfriend for nearly 14 months (oh bless), and he got a xmas card and pressie to-day, plus lots of xmas cards from his friends. He broke his heart earlier, i have never seen him cry so much and beg me not to make him move and leave his friends and girlfriend,:cryxmas:

I feel so bad, flightsd booked early feb, and as much as i talk to him and explain we our all sad, i am getting no where.... What can i do??????

Thanks for reading

Caraxxxx:(

It is very hard as there is usually at least one member of the family (in our case my in-law) who is against the move. Your son will find the move difficult if he has particularly good friendships, but he is so young that a couple of months (possibly weeks) in school and he will have a whole new bunch of friends. Sign him up for lots of sport and the social circle widens further, then there's scouts etc..

You are the parents and you obviously decided this was in the best interests of your whole family and I'm sure it will be. So grit your teeth and keep your eye on the bigger prize! Most kids are so adaptable and if he has good friends he is obviously the sort of kid who will fit right in.

That is so hard, but as Beanbear said he will probably adapt well. If his friends are truly good friends they will stay in touch and this is so much easier with Skype, msn, cheap phone call cards etc. The good thing is that as you are coming in Feb, he will be able to go straight into school. Some kids do take a little longer than others to feel at home, but they alldo in the end when they come while still children.

:emoticon-signxmas:Hi Cara,

I wish I could say it was easy, It isn't.

My boy was 11 years when we moved, one of the popular guys at Senior school, then we moved here.

He had no friends at an age where everyone had bonded, it was so difficult for him.

Then a couple of guys arrived from England, they happen to be twins it wasn't the first English guys to come along, but he has really bonded with them. Back to sleepovers lol.

They have all just joined the Surf life saving club and are having a ball.

Zac actually said the other day, I never ever want to live in England again, he'll visit fam and friends, but now he knows whats here he don't want to give it up.

Children are all different and very resilient, my advise would be this.

Get him in school ASAP

Go to the PIA meetings

Join the clubs, Surf club is great starts age 7

be social yourself

get skype, internet asap

When you land take him to Cleland, let him feed the Roo's and hold the koala's

Good luck, don't beat yourself up when you move here you are doing the right thing for him.

Laura xxx

My 14 year old Daughter sat on the front step the night before we left sobbing for hours with her friends and boyfriend.

Whilst its hard, I can promise you that it will get harder as you get closer to the final leaving day.

We just kept saying that we were going for a year, and we would review it after 12 months.... and she should treat it as a 12 month holiday.

That said, within a month, that same Daughter was not interested in going back, she loves it over here. Now, after 4 months she has lots of new friends and loves the lifestyle.

here's a thought..............

In 12 months, he might be really settled, and you might be the one wanting to go home !!!!

Just keep going, its hard..... but its worth it.

Good luck

Si

PS, I agree with other posts, get him into school asap. Ours started within a week.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Our daughter didnt want to come here at the age of 13 almost 14, she ran off crying at every oppertunity, but unfortunatly for her I am one of those parents who take very little notice of what they say on the outside,(that is not to day I dont take notice and think about them) but i think kids of all ages, are manipulitive creatures and will say and do whatever it takes to get their own way. If they know you are feeling for them they will play on it all the more. I ignored mine and one day said to her, "well we are going to OZ and you can come or you can stay here with one of your nans" I knew she wouldnt go for that. After being here a while and realising her friends were not all that, and how life is here, she only would go back to the UK for a visit.

you will have to grin and bear it, at least he is not too big to lift on to the plane, (which at one point I thought we would be doing!) It will pass and be a distant memory soon!:yesxmas:

Hi Hun.

Sorry to hear Ethan is so upset:cryxmas:. I'm sure once he's there he'll pick up some great friends. I know that really doesn't help now as he won't want to leave them all behind but i think what us parents need to focus on is how happy they will be once they've started their new schools and have made these friends (thats what i'm trying to think about anyway).

Chin up and See you soon.xxxx :emoticon-signxmas:

Guest happy feet

Thank you all so much for your replies, i knew i could get some advice and support from you lovely people on here. Just having afew bad days i think, normal i know..... Can't wait to be sat on the plane, just want to get over and start living or new lives... Only 8 weeks to-day, will be on the plane, not that i'm counting.LOL

Kind regards

Cara xxxx