This is why................

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

this is why..................

Been on the verge of bankruptcy twice,attempted to work 8 days per week,literally had 3 near death encounters,suffered immense stress in working in the UK.Suffered even more trying to get out of the UK to settle here.................

Mrs Tyke and I had our first day out on Jean Genie ,our new boat.

The weather has been awkward with the wind but yesterday was the one.

Big thanks to Ranger and Damage (from the Strike & Hook forum) for their check-lists posted on here,they were duly printed out,stared at lots yesterday .

We launched at West Beach as the water seemed calmer than O'Sullies. We were under the careful eye of our friends in the Sea Rescue Squadron .

We eventually managed a very smooth launch after asking each other 17 times if the bung was in!!!

Well we got her in the water and got off down to near Brighton.

I have an awful lot to learn yet but feel now it's a need for clocking up hours and experience - having never had a boat of seriously fished before I have a hell of a lot to catch up on!

Now this was supposed to be a "Get to know the boat day" but I'd brought some fishing gear along.

But the call was too great so we dropped at Brighton.

Mrs Tyke was quietly presented with her own rod and reel that I'd bought as a present for here (Thanks to The Angler's Choice,Christies Beach for the advice - worked a treat - the Missus is now hooked).

Mrs Tyke knows even less than me about fishing so I put the bait on and got her to drop her line in.

I don't think the sinker had even hit the bottom (only 6m) before she was on with her first Whiting !!!

This could not have happened any better!

We were in the same spot for about 3.5 hours and pulled 8 King George Whiting out , a couple are a little close to undersize but in the excitement and "fish lust!"

We did start to put out a little burley after fish one and noticed they were taking it when I was cleaning them.

We also pulled up a few different fish,some we did not know.

A big blue Leather jacket took delight in cleaning off baits,twice hooked and I said if he hit again he was staying in - but he must have heard me .

Lots of Puffer fish,one long bright blue fish with yellow fins (parrot fish /wrasse?).If we did not know it - held with caution and thrown back.

Talking of caution.....I learnt not to get my face too close to an angry Whiting.I'd held him up on the line to get a closer look - and took a full on bitch slap across the face!!

We pulled back in to West Beach where the ramp was fairly busy - we just hung about in the breakwater until a few retrieved.

I'm going to have to get a lot more practice in at close quarters handling - it took me a few attempts to get any where near the pontoon for Mrs Tyke to get off.When I did I went in too heavy and have a scuff to show for it on the hull - don't think that will just polish off .

All my training with the Sea Rescue Squadron went to pot I'm afraid and panic was in the air!

We are both members of the South Australian Sea Rescue Squadron - a great volunteer organisation.We are enjoying helping out with them and "putting back in"

If anyone is interested or wants to take any of the courses have a look at their site.

I know other forum members who have or will be joining.

http://www.sasearescue.org.au/

Our only other mistake was to forget to apply sunblock,fortunately we were wearing jeans and long sleeves but the bits uncovered took a bashing.Mrs Tyke looks like a smacked Panda! Stupid I know after Rachel's post.

So that's our first trip out solo.

It might be dead boring to experienced fisho's but we all have to start somewhere and it is a post I'd have like to have read a few months ago when taking the plunge into boating.

If you are into fishing or considering it I thoroughly recommend a local fishing forum called Strike & Hook.Great local forum with loads of helpful and encouraging members.Already a very experienced boatie fisher has taken us under his wing with an offer to take us out Snapper fishing and also to come out with us on our boat to teach us more.

Here is the forum...

http://www.strikehook.com/

I see a few forum members are there already.

It did feel like a real land mark day for us - something we could never have done in our past life and feel very lucky to able to have it here .

One of our top 3 days here since we arrived 8 years ago.

I sincerely hope that all who settle here can have a day like this - makes it all worth it:biggrinxmas::biggrinxmas:

Here is the First Blood haul...................

Firstblood.jpg

Guest Guest75
Hi tyke sounds like it was quite an adventure!! I really admire you for going for it and getting your boat, good on ya!! Id love to do similar but not got great sea legs meself so would be wasted on me pucking over side lol.

Do you get to keep the fish then? Do you not have to throw em back?

We took a little bit of a risk with the sea sickness - but I've been out on the rough stuff with Sea Rescue.:eekxmas:

You can keep what you catch - but you must observe both the minumum size limits and catch ("bag") limits.

You can get a pamphlet on all of this in your local rego or any angling shop.

Our local shop gave us a couple of long sticker to put on the boat to identify and measure our catches.The Fisheries Dept do have guys checking your catches both on land and water so you need to be careful.:emoticon-signxmas:

this is why..................

Been on the verge of bankruptcy twice,attempted to work 8 days per week,literally had 3 near death encounters,suffered immense stress in working in the UK.Suffered even more trying to get out of the UK to settle here.................

Mrs Tyke and I had our first day out on Jean Genie ,our new boat.

The weather has been awkward with the wind but yesterday was the one.

Big thanks to Ranger and Damage (from the Strike & Hook forum) for their check-lists posted on here,they were duly printed out,stared at lots yesterday .

We launched at West Beach as the water seemed calmer than O'Sullies. We were under the careful eye of our friends in the Sea Rescue Squadron .

We eventually managed a very smooth launch after asking each other 17 times if the bung was in!!!

Well we got her in the water and got off down to near Brighton.

I have an awful lot to learn yet but feel now it's a need for clocking up hours and experience - having never had a boat of seriously fished before I have a hell of a lot to catch up on!

Now this was supposed to be a "Get to know the boat day" but I'd brought some fishing gear along.

But the call was too great so we dropped at Brighton.

Mrs Tyke was quietly presented with her own rod and reel that I'd bought as a present for here (Thanks to The Angler's Choice,Christies Beach for the advice - worked a treat - the Missus is now hooked).

Mrs Tyke knows even less than me about fishing so I put the bait on and got her to drop her line in.

I don't think the sinker had even hit the bottom (only 6m) before she was on with her first Whiting !!!

This could not have happened any better!

We were in the same spot for about 3.5 hours and pulled 8 King George Whiting out , a couple are a little close to undersize but in the excitement and "fish lust!"

We did start to put out a little burley after fish one and noticed they were taking it when I was cleaning them.

We also pulled up a few different fish,some we did not know.

A big blue Leather jacket took delight in cleaning off baits,twice hooked and I said if he hit again he was staying in - but he must have heard me .

Lots of Puffer fish,one long bright blue fish with yellow fins (parrot fish /wrasse?).If we did not know it - held with caution and thrown back.

Talking of caution.....I learnt not to get my face too close to an angry Whiting.I'd held him up on the line to get a closer look - and took a full on bitch slap across the face!!

We pulled back in to West Beach where the ramp was fairly busy - we just hung about in the breakwater until a few retrieved.

I'm going to have to get a lot more practice in at close quarters handling - it took me a few attempts to get any where near the pontoon for Mrs Tyke to get off.When I did I went in too heavy and have a scuff to show for it on the hull - don't think that will just polish off .

All my training with the Sea Rescue Squadron went to pot I'm afraid and panic was in the air!

We are both members of the South Australian Sea Rescue Squadron - a great volunteer organisation.We are enjoying helping out with them and "putting back in"

If anyone is interested or wants to take any of the courses have a look at their site.

I know other forum members who have or will be joining.

http://www.sasearescue.org.au/

Our only other mistake was to forget to apply sunblock,fortunately we were wearing jeans and long sleeves but the bits uncovered took a bashing.Mrs Tyke looks like a smacked Panda! Stupid I know after Rachel's post.

So that's our first trip out solo.

It might be dead boring to experienced fisho's but we all have to start somewhere and it is a post I'd have like to have read a few months ago when taking the plunge into boating.

If you are into fishing or considering it I thoroughly recommend a local fishing forum called Strike & Hook.Great local forum with loads of helpful and encouraging members.Already a very experienced boatie fisher has taken us under his wing with an offer to take us out Snapper fishing and also to come out with us on our boat to teach us more.

Here is the forum...

http://www.strikehook.com/

I see a few forum members are there already.

It did feel like a real land mark day for us - something we could never have done in our past life and feel very lucky to able to have it here .

One of our top 3 days here since we arrived 8 years ago.

I sincerely hope that all who settle here can have a day like this - makes it all worth it:biggrinxmas::biggrinxmas:

Here is the First Blood haul...................

Firstblood.jpg

Hey dud eif you want any comapny out on ya boat give us a shout mate, i do some shore fishing and would love a crack at sea stuff, i have some gear but unsure if it will cross over to the boat thing.

Those whiting look lovely mate, i too am on strike and hook as SANewbie

PM me mate.

Guest Guest75
Hey dud eif you want any comapny out on ya boat give us a shout mate, i do some shore fishing and would love a crack at sea stuff, i have some gear but unsure if it will cross over to the boat thing.

Those whiting look lovely mate, i too am on strike and hook as SANewbie

PM me mate.

No worries.

Once I'm a lot more experienced I might have a few Lad's days out:biggrinxmas:

Shorter rods are the way to go on boats -the it can get really specific - say for snapper and stuff.

Guest rockpool crab
No worries.

Shorter rods are the way to go on boats -the it can get really specific - say for snapper and stuff.

This is the sort of thing I'm really keen to do with the boys. I've taken them out fishing here in UK and we've got a few mackerel, but quite frankly I have no idea if I'm even tying the lines properly..lol..it's a bit of a hit or miss but I guess the fact that we're catching anything is a sign that something is right. But I'd love to learn how to do it all properly. I can't say as I'm a super "gutter" either, I'm generally left with something that resembles the size of a 10p piece by the time I'm finished, so would defo need to be shown how to do that as well!

Might need to be catching our own food in the early days to survive!...lol..how tasty is a koala..can you cure them? :laughxmas: or are they like swans...queens birds or some nonsense like that? Mind you ..so cute..don't even think I could bring myself to do it. Easy caught mind you ..don't they sleep for like 23 hours a day! sounds a bit like my OH...lol.

Right...need a cuppa!..ttfn...carol ann

that sure sounded like a brilliant day out!!

and yet again so many people out there to help in any way possible!!

here's to many more days on your boat out fishing :wubclub:

and what a great catch too! mmmmmmm must be yummy on the bbq ;)

Guest Guest75
This is the sort of thing I'm really keen to do with the boys. I've taken them out fishing here in UK and we've got a few mackerel, but quite frankly I have no idea if I'm even tying the lines properly..lol..it's a bit of a hit or miss but I guess the fact that we're catching anything is a sign that something is right. But I'd love to learn how to do it all properly. I can't say as I'm a super "gutter" either, I'm generally left with something that resembles the size of a 10p piece by the time I'm finished, so would defo need to be shown how to do that as well!

Might need to be catching our own food in the early days to survive!...lol..how tasty is a koala..can you cure them? :laughxmas: or are they like swans...queens birds or some nonsense like that? Mind you ..so cute..don't even think I could bring myself to do it. Easy caught mind you ..don't they sleep for like 23 hours a day! sounds a bit like my OH...lol.

Right...need a cuppa!..ttfn...carol ann

It's not hard once you get the basics into your head - I am crap at knots,in fact Sea Rescue described me as "Dyslexic" with rope!!:laughxmas:

Any tackle shop will set you up with basic stuff - and show you some knots and give tips.

Gutting is easy - head cut off (and saved as crab /snapper bait),cut from that bum to where head was - guts nearly spill out - rinse under tap.Filleting seems a wasteful exercise if fish are small- just bake em' whole.

I've never heard what Koala tastes like,but the Aborigines did include them in their diet.It's the other waking hour you have to watch out for...........says he who was chased by an angry Koala recently:laughxmas:

Guest Guest75
that sure sounded like a brilliant day out!!

and yet again so many people out there to help in any way possible!!

here's to many more days on your boat out fishing :wubclub:

and what a great catch too! mmmmmmm must be yummy on the bbq ;)

Hiya Mozzy!

Yup - there is a lot of help here ,the "mateship" never ceases to amaze me.

We baked some of the Whiting in the oven - just butter,salt and pepper - I am going to fillet them next time though - lots of little bones!

Pah! That's a very small esky...not very huge fish! :tonguexmas: (a seasonal smilie, but still insulting...I like Tim's style!)

Sounds fab, although I cannot believe that you forgot the sunblock :noxmas:...or rather I can believe you would, but not the intelligent side of the partnership...bet she makes an adorable panda though (hugs).

I'm glad you are both enjoying yourselves; you've certainly earned that privilege. (That was genuine and I now feel humble and a bit ill)

Bye!

LC

Guest Guest75
Pah! That's a very small esky...not very huge fish! :tonguexmas: (a seasonal smilie, but still insulting...I like Tim's style!)

Sounds fab, although I cannot believe that you forgot the sunblock :noxmas:...or rather I can believe you would, but not the intelligent side of the partnership...bet she makes an adorable panda though (hugs).

I'm glad you are both enjoying yourselves; you've certainly earned that privilege. (That was genuine and I now feel humble and a bit ill)

Bye!

LC

Bloomin' cheek!!!!

Glad to read Liam enjoyed his graduation :biggrinxmas:

Liam looked so handsome hey??? I knew Mr Lazy Cow's genes would kick in eventually (oooeer - I've bitten back with a nasty comment!)

John, the old motorbike geezer says hello to you both,he is improving after his long stay in hospital.Don't think he will be entering the TT Races this year though!

Mrs Tyke says hello:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest Rob and Clare
No worries.

Great Boat Tyke, I reckon we're all jealous.

I remember on our honeymoon in the Maldives, on a fishing night they gave us 2 litre soda bottles with fishing line wrapped round, and we both caught Red Snappers, so maybe the rod isn't important at all.

Guest Guest75
Me and Mrs Detective dont know nuffink about fishing but we know that you and Mrs Tyke have worked hard to get where you are and we are glad you have something to enjoy and take your mind off working yourselves half to death mate.

Don't go doing nuffink mental to yersen lad.

Looks like you two may the first ever guests aboard :biggrinxmas:

Just hope the weather is good that day - you both have sealegs??

Da boat is very safe and comfortable BTW.

I have every safety device known to man onboard and my array of electronics would put Houston to shame:laughxmas:

Looks like you two may the first ever guests aboard :biggrinxmas:

Just hope the weather is good that day - you both have sealegs??

Da boat is very safe and comfortable BTW.

I have every safety device known to man onboard and my array of electronics would put Houston to shame:laughxmas:

It will be our honour.

As for seas legs, I'll just have to lean over the gunnal's if I've lost em tyke.