snake Alert !!

Guest guest569

Guest guest569

Just thought i'd remind you all its that time of year again where we all need to be a bit more cautious outside. Boxing day 07' we had a brown snake in our garden and today my wife was out walking the dog with my daughter and the dog alerted them both to another in the grass.:unsure:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Cool, i like snakes.

Used to out catching adders when i was a kid and got bit twice, made me feel like death for a few weeks at a time. "must be a cornish thing"

Don’t know why people are scared of snakes, you see a lot of them in Cornwall on the costal paths when you’re walking but most people don’t even notice them.

This may sound silly or a joke but when walking your dog always carry a pack of antihistamines in case the unfortunate happens. This works for adder bite not sure on browns though.

Theres snakes and scorpians all over the UK but you just dont notice or think about them.

I think people think about them more here because more people have died from them.

Guest caoimhe
Cool, i like snakes.

Used to out catching adders when i was a kid and got bit twice, made me feel like death for a few weeks at a time. "must be a cornish thing"

Don’t know why people are scared of snakes, you see a lot of them in Cornwall on the costal paths when you’re walking but most people don’t even notice them.

This may sound silly or a joke but when walking your dog always carry a pack of antihistamines in case the unfortunate happens. This works for adder bite not sure on browns though.

Theres snakes and scorpians all over the UK but you just dont notice or think about them.

I think people think about them more here because more people have died from them.

Sorry Cornish Busdriver but I am one of the one's scared of them

Thank you passionate pom for the advice:swoon:

so whats the advice if you come across one then ? what do you do - other than run - im going to look up some websites im really not familiar with the snakes you find here.

sjs

Guest Martin and Val

Be careful, the head can very soon become its bum. If you know what I mean. We had one in the front garden the other week and sorry to say it didn't get a second chance. (It no longer lives in our garden)

Cool, i like snakes.

Don't think antihistamine would do you much good with a brown snake bite! If you do get bitten, the advice is to move as little as possible (which is why dogs that get bitten usually have less time than cats) and get help fast - even a scratch can be fatal. Read a good item in the paper the other day suggesting if you have small kids and are worried about them getting bitten in the garden, get a dog instead - better to lose one of them than a child! Most dogs will usually give good warning about the presence of a snake, although we do have a neighbour who lost his Afghan to a snakebite a few years ago (though why he let it drink cider and lager I'm not sure!).

Watch out on the dunes at the beach too - only brown snake I've seen since being here was alongside a path through the dunes at Semaphore Beach. Wasn't worried about all the people at all - they can be quite aggressive apparently!