Baggage allowance in more than one case/bag

Rob and Mel

I have seen many time that you can have 40kgs of baggage when you come over on a 175 visa.

I have looked but can not find an answer to my question so can anyone help please?

Can you have your allowance in more than one bag/case?

Thanks for your help as we are thinking about buying the bags/cases in the sales.

Cheers Rob and Mel

Guest Carkyde

Hi we are taking 2 bags each with 20kgs ish in each bag, a small trolley dolly bag each and a laptop bag each. Although I have been Ebaying our life away so not sure if we will fill it all!!!!

Guest DianeJ

Hi Rob & Mel,

I think baggage handlers can't lift a bag more than 23kg, don't quote me could be 20kg, so you will need 2. I have bought 5 suitcases in the sales as we fly on 14th Feb and need to buy suitcase scales which cost about £15-20

Guest vijnit

Hello,

The maximum baggage weight (Per bag) is 35KG (For baggage handler safety). If you have more than this in one bag, then the checkin desk will tell you to take weight out of that particular bag to bring it to <= 35KG.

Also your visa, needs to state that your visa is a permanant one - i.e it needs to state that it's for "indefinate stay", and not temporary other wise your airline will not allow the extra allowance.

As for the 40kg - that would be a "total" of your checked in weight.

Hope that helps.

And one more thing - (as far as singapore airlines go) , you will not get any formal paper work stating you are allowed the extra weight, you just turn up with the extra weight, and provided that your visa is as stated above, you are fine.

Vijay

Guest Libby1971

I can confirm the weight limit as we were the family form hell who have to sit there shuffling things around at the check in desk!!! Up to 35kg the case is labelled heavy item if over 20 kg but they refuse to take it if over 35kg unless you can shuffle. Weigh your cases before leaving home, then weigh again.

Or take an extra suitcase or very low in weight to cover your self.

Guest jen&ian

We flew with Singapore and each bag had a max weight of 32 kg with them. We had 40kg each and that added up to alot of cases with 5 of us, but boy did we need it.

Jen

we've only just been over with singapore and the case weight limit was 32kg - i'll have a look if i can find the link on their website.

and cabin bag is 7kg

hth

Baggage Weight Limitations

In accordance with the local occupational safety rules, passengers travelling to and from AUSTRALIA, BRUNEI, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA, SRI LANKA, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES and UNITED KINGDOM, please note that your checked baggage cannot exceed 32 kg per piece**. Passengers are required to re-pack their baggage if the baggage weight exceeds the above-stipulated limitation per piece. Heavy machinery or spare parts that exceeds the indicated weight above would not be uplifted as baggage to and from these countries.

**Passengers should note that this 'physical' baggage weight limitation at 32kg is an issue relating to Occupational Health Safety and is NOT your baggage allowance. Your checked baggage allowance is as shown on top of this page,and also shown on your tickets. Any excess baggage above your allowance will be charged.

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/before/plan/baggage_allowance.jsp?v=1266723213&

Thanks very much for you help.

One more question...

This allowance is per ticket isn't it?

Even our children 4years and 2 years will get it won't they?

Thanks Rob and Mel

yes its per ticket , allowance only goes down if child is under 2yrs and your not paying full child fare, so thats 160kg between you as well as handluggage on top, also laptop and buggy is extra too (well at least it was with singapore airlines) so you dont need to count those in your allowance:jiggy:

Guest Lulujim

Hi - We flew to Adelaide in Oct - Nov and just used normal bathroom scales to weigh the suitcases - just have to put them on the end and balance! Just thought I'd add this to save yo spending money on new scales!

Guest DianeJ
Hi - We flew to Adelaide in Oct - Nov and just used normal bathroom scales to weigh the suitcases - just have to put them on the end and balance! Just thought I'd add this to save yo spending money on new scales!

Thanks Alexis, will do that instead

hi guys

Well Baggage allowances can vary between airlines. Check the airlines website for their up to date information......

Usually bags must not weigh over 32kg (health and safety) if they are then checkin will ask you to take some out or put some stuff into another bag! I think BA are now saying 23kg is the max. (if its over that there is a flat fee to pay up to 32kg)

Each passenger in a seat will recieve 20kg (infants/ under 2 will receive 10kg if they are not in a seat), if however like us you have booked a seat for your baby then they will recieve the full 20 kg.

Be careful about excess because most of the airlines are charging if you are only 1kg over they are really trying to get the cash in!!

Heathrow security are particulary fussy about hand luggage as well so watch the weight and size... again check airlines websites for dimensions etc!

Heidi x

Guest wemadeit

Hi

We came out in November on a temporary 495 visa and flew with Singapore Airlines. We were allowed 20kgs each and 10 for our infant daughter. We were allowed 30kgs in one suitcase and had to move stuff between the suitcases at check in because one was over the 30kgs!!! If you are permanent check with your airline. If we were they would have allowed us double baggage allowance. Do not attempt to take more as we have heard horrible stories of people paying over 3000 pounds for excess baggage allowance. We brought out extra by air freight, which was a lot cheaper. Hope that helps. Good luck with everything. Tom and Catherine