The Hannah adventure so far

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi, thought I should post sommit and let you all know how it's going. The flight was as expected..knackering..and it takes at least a week for the body to recover to be honest, jet lag is sooooooooo hard.

We had a lovely apartment in the city and really enjoyed the city life for 10 days over xmas and new year. We were luckily invited to friends of friends for xmas dinner in Flagstaff Hill and they made us so welcome. I'm so grateful to them for this as xmas would not have been the same with just the four of us. We've since done all the medicare, driving licence, tax file numbers..blah blah..all the boring stuff. We've been applying for jobs like maddies but not getting on that well. Jobs I think I'm more than qualified for yet they say I'm not matching up, finding this quite frustrating really. Searching for rentals is difficult too..and stressful in that we don't really know where we want to be as we don't have jobs. I don't want to have to travel for over an hour to get back and forward to and from work. I guess it might come to this but I hope not. My husband has found that as we're not permanent residents there are some jobs he can't go for, which is crazy, they want you to work for at least 12 months and then say you can't go for certain jobs. Defies logic.

I'm scared witless in case we can't get decent enough jobs to "live" here but only time will tell with that one I guess. I'd work for myself if I could but the visa doesn't permit it...althouuuuuuugh..if hubby got work..maybe I could ;)

That's the negatives but on the plus side the weather has been fantastic since we got here and the people are so friendly. We go to the beach most every day. We're definitely doing more as a family than we ever did back home. We've had some really great days and some fab memories already. We met up with some PIA's today and that was great to finally put some faces to the names. Thanks for inviting us.

I don't think I'm still in holiday mode as I feel we do a lot of running around looking at rentals etc so I don't think I have my rose tinted on. I long for the day when I have the rental, a job, container is here and I can sit down and think...finally..all sorted!

It's a long process and I take my hat off to everyone who's gone through it, it's blooming hard work and can be stressful. We drove all the way (from Seaford Rise) to west lakes tonight to look at a rental and were 5 minutes late and sure enough no-one was there to let us in...what a waste of time. I had even phoned to say we were going to be late but the woman said "she'll not wait as she'll have another rental to open up"..and that was that...ach well....lesson learned...leave with plenty of time to spare, we left at 15.55 to get there for 16.45 - 17.00 and didn't get there till 17.05...the traffic was slow plus it didn't help we took two wrong turnings.

Dunno...feelin a bit low about it all...especially the jobs I'm being knocked back for that I seriously feel I can do. I've done the "can you tell me why as the feedback will be constructive" etc..but no-one ever replies.

Oh my I think I definitely need to get out more and tomorrow and Victoria bar sounds great!:D and now that I've got all this off my chest I'll be in happy mode.

Will post when I hear about jobs and I'm in a more positive mood...oh my..just reread that...I'm not as low as it reads really. Gosh I've only been here 2 weeks!..lol...I'm sure it'll happen...I just want it all NOW ...lol.

TTFN... Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
Aaah my friend Rockpool Crab!!!!

Great post. you sound like such good fun I really hope it all works out for you guys.

Chin Up!!!

:notworthy: Yes my friend (who nearly has a boat ;)). Thanks for the "chin up". It'll be fine I'm sure..I'm just a worry wart. I read so many stories on here that scare

me:swoon:. Guess I'll just need to get my "money making scheme" head on. I always think better whilst drinking wine..so best get off now and get some...slurrrrrp.

TTFN... Carol Ann

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Carol.

Dont worry to much on the job front, I cant get a job in my chossen fields so im workings as a bus driver and then in about 6 month gonna train to be a copper.

If you got a PR visa and a car licence then Torrens Transit are after people to train up to be drivers or if your fit then SAPOL are after people to train become coppers.

Just a few suggestions.

Guest rockpool crab
G'day Carol.

Dont worry to much on the job front, I cant get a job in my chossen fields so im workings as a bus driver and then in about 6 month gonna train to be a copper.

If you got a PR visa and a car licence then Torrens Transit are after people to train up to be drivers or if your fit then SAPOL are after people to train become coppers.

Just a few suggestions.

Thanks Sue and Cornish. I don't have PR :-( but hey ho..just need to get on with it eh. I just saw a job on "seek" and I've just spent the night perfecting a covering letter and resume.. so I'm feeling chipper about it...so fingers crossed for this one. My OH saying "for god sake CA you've only been here two weeks"..which is true. Guess I need to chill a little..maybe the ozzie "laid back" attitude will rub off on me! but I'd sooooooooooo love this job..ooo..everyone cross everything they can cross!!..lol.

Right off to bed and hopefully I'll sleep...another footy extravaganza on the beach earlier...two on two...me and OH are undefeated champions. Our Kieran wants me on his team tomorrow..lol...ok..so I hack..and they can't hack their mum eh..that's just not right :-)

TTFN... Carol Ann

Guest sam2500

Hi carol ann and family,

Not posted on Pia for a while but looking on daily.

We are having on /off wobbles, reading everyone's dilemma's on here.

Due to fly out 21st February, ( after already putting our flight back a month ).

My OH is being sponsored, and has a job to go to ( very lucky I know), but we are seriously worried about how much cash we will need once we arrive.

We haven't sold our house, ( not even rented yet but fingers crossed ), and have been unable to release any equity from our property.

Just wondering without being personal what minimum amount to last a few months etc. ( I know sounds like how long is a piece of string)!, but any advice welcome.

So sorry that you and yours have not found your feet, it really is all tricky isnt it.?

Like you we are on Temp visa, so no extra help either.

Also trying to find a rental from UK is near dam impossble so still have nowhere to stay as yet!:unsure:

Good luck to you all,

Sue David Sam

Guest Guest75

You guys will be fine - you have the right attitude.

Things WILL come together in time.

Narrowing down to a suburb will be a good start - so much to choose from here:D

Lovely meeting you and your family. You had a wonderful positive energy around you and I'm sure it will transfer into a rental or a job opportunity.

Keep knocking on those doors, stay positive and something will come up.

Judi x

Hi

Just wondered what line of work you are in? If you give us a few details then I'm sure everyone will keep their eyes out for you. The vast majority of jobs in Adelaide don't even get advertised, someone in the firm just says to an employee "know anyone that can do this, that, or the other?" and it goes from there!

Welcome, by the way, to Adelaide - prepare yourself for the 37 degrees that's forecast next Tuesday!

Diane

Guest rockpool crab
Lovely meeting you and your family. You had a wonderful positive energy around you and I'm sure it will transfer into a rental or a job opportunity.

Keep knocking on those doors, stay positive and something will come up.

Judi x

Guess what ...gueeess what!...got a phone call there for a job I applied for on 28th December and they moreorless offered me it there and then. It's a Production Assistant for the Media Resource Centre in Adelaide. Exactly the sort of work I would have hoped to get..dream job in way..but...yup..had to be there...the wages aren't good. The guy said did I need the weekend to think about it but I just said no..and that I'd come in for interview next week..but it's mine if I want it bar I don't have two heads..which I don't..not that I'm biased against two headed people you understand. The job is teaching people who are interested in the arts and making films. Sounds fab..just wish wages were a tad better..but ach well..will supplement it somehow..will just have to get painting when container arrives and hold a wee exhibition (at yours judi..lol)

Sooooooo feeling way chirpier. Even had a telephone interview for a job I applied for yesterday..went reasonably well..but don't know if I'm short llisted for face to face interview yet for that one ..will know next week.

Yeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaar..so happy! The guy said it's a good way to get your foot in the door of the "industry" and that you can get good jobs through it. So beggars can't be choosers and he who dares wins and any other wee saying I can think of. It might lead to something bigger so I'll take the chance and be thankful that I've finally found some work..,yipppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Can't wait to go out tonight..Victoria Bar here I come!

Carol Ann

Yeaaaaaah Carol Ann 5_1_120.gif

What did I tell ya........

Now go and have a few sherberts to celebrate and have one or two for me too!!!

I'm off to see Adelaide FC with my boy (I'll watch out for yours).

J xxx

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZNxuk137YYGB

Guest Lulujim

I'd work for myself if I could but the visa doesn't permit it...althouuuuuuugh..if hubby got work..maybe I could ;)

Hello! Last time I looked you wre still in the UK and now you're in SA with a job and everything!! MANY congrats - great news!! Just quoted above though - are you on a 475? I was pretty sure you can be self-emplyed for 12 months to count as your working bit.. but may be wrong. Anyway - doesn't matter now - you're a luvvie in the mediaindustry! :jiggy:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rockpool crab
Hello! Last time I looked you wre still in the UK and now you're in SA with a job and everything!! MANY congrats - great news!! Just quoted above though - are you on a 475? I was pretty sure you can be self-emplyed for 12 months to count as your working bit.. but may be wrong. Anyway - doesn't matter now - you're a luvvie in the mediaindustry! :jiggy:

Hi there,

Gosh never caught the tail end of this thread so apologies for not replying. Well..the Media Resource Centre job never did transpire..all very odd as he told me to think about it over the weekend!..eh? ..anyways..didn't even get an interview for that one...soooooooo bizarre! so I'm still pluggin away..as you do and have a fair few hopeful pokers in the fire.

I'm very interested to read that you think I could be self-employed for 12 months on a 475 visa..I must look into that!

Cheers for the good wishes!

Catch you on the sunny side some time.

Carol Ann