Reflection on our first Christmas

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

:unsure:Well our first Christmas has been and gone..........to be dead honest it sounded great thinking of heading down the beach on Christmas day.....but in reality it just felt weird, for so many years you go through the Hastle that christmas's bring family wise, "where you go on Christmas day-where you go on Boxing day". And for the past 6 months in the uk i kept saying to myself "wow a christmas with our new friends down the beach".

But it was just wrong , i had been warned that the first one was ......crap to be honest, the first time it felt like christmas was heading to our friends for christmas dinner .

The turkey was cooking , the crackers were on the table, and the kids were all buzzing like they do on christmas day and the has to be done glass of bucks fizz......christmas had arrived. Not sure on reflection whether it was a good or bad one overall, but just another part of this strange journey we are all on that is all very different.

So Just when Christmas had been and gone Jac's Dad had arrived on the 29th , who was our first visiting family since landing 9 months ago, we had a fab 2 weeks but then the bit which the people on this side have been through. The goodbyes still suck and there is no getting away from it, so after an odd first Christmas and our first goodbye, we start 2009 , I feel we have taken a little step back.....dont get me wrong we have made a good start( no great ) out here but it has made it clear that it takes along time to 100% settle and thats years not months.

Dont worry the never ending optimist (me:p) isn't fading just reflecting and speaking outloud, good luck to everyone in 2009, stay strong and focused whether you have just arrived or trying to sell your house..............its worth it.

So iam off to the beach to bloody try and crack this surfing lark (even if it kills me)the waves can clear my head....big deep breath and look forward to 2009

Guest maxxangel

Christmas really isn't the same is it? We had our first visit and goodbyes before Christmas and I think the fact that it didn't feel like Christmas is what saved me. Otherwise I would have really missed my family.

Thanks for sharing. Always good to know you're not alone.

Guest katsmajic

I for one am glad its over and done with, i did have a good time with family here and friends...but agree it didnt feel like Xmas.

Part of it was because i worked most of it, and mainly cos of missing family members in the uk...

Happy New YearGraham and Jac,Yes, I think a lot of us will be able to identify with that 'Christmas' feeling not being the same here. I actually really enjoyed my Christmas day opening presents with Bill and his son, then cooking dinner for five people and eating it outside - that was novel. The fact that it was completely different definitely helped as Maxxangel says, it would have made me miss home too much.

I guess the first one is the hardest...

Guest Guest75

It just ain't the same - but try telling anyone who has not had one here.

Spot on with the "BBQ on the beach and so on" scenario.

We tend to have Christmas Day with close friend - full roast and a fairly quiet day.

But we are planning what we'll be doing for the rest of summer.

You do get used to it.

I like the fact that we can do what we want instead of the usual year in / year out routine.

What is Christmas meant to 'feel' like??? I hear and read this often but never understood it. Even in the UK people used to say 'It doesn't feel like Christmas'. :unsure:

To me Christmas felt the same as it always has done. Maybe I need to be visited by 4 ghosts next Christmas Eve.:biglaugh: I thought it was far better this year. Not stuck in a house with a steamed up kitchen window. Loads of people crammed around an over filled table with food no one realy wants to eat. I used to dread Christmas but this year was fabby. Looking forward to next years one now. Hopefully Tracey's mum will be here too so it could be even better.:jiggy:

Pete

nice post graham

we loved out first christmas here and kept our options open (which was nice to be able to do that) about weather or not to head down to the beach - which in the end we didnt as the kids were having such fun playing with their new toys and we were really enjoying taking it easy. its the first christmas i have spent with my husband he never gets it off in scotland. every year i have to let the kids open their toys then drag them away from them to go to my parents and take the oh to work - so this christmas was lovely. i hear what you are saying about a step back i am so looking forward to seeing relatives and friends when the visit but i am dreading the goodbyes more so than even when i left scotland as this time it will maybe feel more real? who knows but good luck to you and your family for 2009 as us optimists need to stay that way! we had our furniture delivered yesterday and we thought theres no going back now but that didnt scare us it just makes it feel more like home which we love as we are one of those who has been nothing but positive since getting off that plane and im not trying to convince myself (as was suggested in another post about positive newbies) its how i feel and i am realistic that this may change in a few months or a year or 2 who knows - lets see how i post after those 1st visitors come and go :( but i know you lot are here to listen to me should i feel the need to moan

all the best

sjs

Guest graandjac
What is Christmas meant to 'feel' like??? I hear and read this often but never understood it. Even in the UK people used to say 'It doesn't feel like Christmas'. :unsure:

To me Christmas felt the same as it always has done. Maybe I need to be visited by 4 ghosts next Christmas Eve.:biglaugh: I thought it was far better this year. Not stuck in a house with a steamed up kitchen window. Loads of people crammed around an over filled table with food no one realy wants to eat. I used to dread Christmas but this year was fabby. Looking forward to next years one now. Hopefully Tracey's mum will be here too so it could be even better.:jiggy:

Pete

Pete your getting worse than me....!!??:P, dont get me wrong i enjoyed it it was just so different ( not that i thought it wouldent be), maybe it was the fact we had just said goodbye to Jac's Dad and i just want to let a bit of............oh i dont know ....just say something as we do on our support network.

I know how you feel Grahame, Pete has never really been a christmassy person so the less christmas stuff the better for him!!! I didn't miss the cooking or fighting with the kids as they won't eat it but it didnt feel christmassy but I still enjiyed the day anyway, The main thing being that the kids enjoyed themselves. Don't know how I will feel next year as my mum will probably be here. Still not cooking though!!!:biglaugh:

Hope you had a great time with Jacquis dad. Speak soon

Guest Guzzler&Sas

from the heart mate - well done!

We have done several Christmas' here now and I think it is different, be that good or bad. Christmas has always been about family and it is a time to reflect, think about family where-ever they are.

I spoke to my family a lot this year and we are all very spread out - my brother in Italy had a terrible time, wife in bed with flu who would not get up, and their dog died who was a sarrogate baby for them, so he was in a terrible state. My parents and other brother were all together in the UK and my mum struggled on times to speak with me - that is always hard and no-one can change that reality.

We do the beach thing on Christmas day - we pop down for a bit, but are quite private about it. It is great to surround yourselves with friends - but then you think about your friends in the UK who you have known for years (and that makes you think about the quality of friends you have here). This could be a whole other thread in my opinion .... and this is not me shunning anyone on here, but we never had this amount of friends in the UK ... oh to be so popular!

I have to say that I love having a full Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, but we have tried all versions now - but that is our choice and it is great to share with friends, new and old!

Family visiting from the UK - again, a whole other thread Gra, but well done for bringing it up. A great feeling to know they are coming over, terrible when they go back. When my parents visited, we were seeking their approval for making this move - they did not get excited about our new lives, but did by the end of the 6wks here.

Be warned, if your family and friends have never stayed with you in the UK, then ....

IT WILL BE HARD FOR THEM TO LIVE WITH YOU whilst here. My parents lived quite a way away from us in the UK and would regularly visit us for about 1 week or 10days at a time. We were all comfortable with that, so when they were here, it was easy to live together.

We are gearing up for Keith's family who are staying with us for 6weeks - his parents, sister and her husband. They lived a few miles from us in the UK and never stayed with us, so we are doing our best to be prepared. We have some trips planned, we are making sure we have plenty of room in the house - putting the girls together so that his parents and sister/husband have their own rooms each, rather than being on a sofabed, another car so they can do their own thing if they want and will do our best to maintain our lives so that they can see how we live - school runs, swimming lessions, me at work, food shopping - am I rambling yet?

Also this time of year is always a time for reflection on last year and next year - when my parents went back, I was depressed for weeks and I use that expression in the right context. I even visited a doctor because I could not shake the feeling off - don't under-estimate the power of visiting family and friends - they are all looking at our new lives through a magnifying glass and that is very powerful. I am sure some may want us to fail, so they can say, told you so, the grass is not always greener - why don't you all come back home!

Think I took philosphy pills this morning, rather than birth control - hahaha!

Good luck guys - here's to 2009 - my crowning year ... my 40th, watch out!

Sas

xxx

An honest post with great responses, for our 2nd Christmas it still felt a little like a Summer holiday........sunshine, the beach, friends only this year we had the inlaws here to so in some ways, for us, its been quite emotional.

Don't get me wrong I do so thank them for coming & I do know that they are now more understanding as to why we migrated but Sarah is right, the 'living with you' .....hmmm..........suddenly 4 becomes 6, takes some time to get used to & can be difficult at times :unsure:.

BUT I keep reminding myself of the journey they have taken, how the kids love to be with their gramps & mamma (just like they did in England), it is wonderful & that time when they leave approaches very soon, a time I am personally dreading :sad:.

Still Xmas day was as festive as it could be, a full roast finished on the barbie, crackers & Chrimbo pudding, finished off with a dip in the pool (all be it slightly cooler than the yr before !).

Happy New Year everyone.

Christmas was very strange and different this year.......hot, on the beach, etc etc.

we have also got my mum over here she has been here 4 weeks still got 4 togo and even tho i love my mum to bits its hard having soemone living/staying with you for such a long period of time.

she does things different to us, we have to tell her not to do stuff etc etc.

we have agreed that 8 weeks is too long to stay for she is looking at 3 weeks next time, or going to stay in a furnished rentals should she come with her sister.

sorry to go off topic, i hope you all had a great christmas ours has been quite tough this year we have had some bad times.

we have had 2 christmases here now, we landed Oct 2006, and this christmas ( our 3rd) we went back to England and wished we were back here at home. It does get easier,it took us a fair while to setlle, but can honestly say we are extremely glad we made the move here. We didnt have any friends here at all. 1 person we knew casually so it was hard. At least you had friends to go to on your christmas that was good.

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Graham.

Where you learning to surf mate?? ive been looking round but aint found anywhere yet.

I know its strange a cornishman who's always lived by the beach that cant surf; hell i cant even stay on a boggie board lol lol.

I wonder if its possible to mix surfing with fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest tooeasy

our 1st christmas was different but in a good way we went down the beach with friends and came back and had a roast dinner

there was none of the usuall well you went to their house last year you should come to ours this year it was a lot more relaxed none of the running around like a madman delivering presents

having said that it did feel funny no freezing cold day (not that i miss the cold)

all in all i liked christmas better here than in the uk :)

G'day Graham.

Where you learning to surf mate?? ive been looking round but aint found anywhere yet.

I know its strange a cornishman who's always lived by the beach that cant surf; hell i cant even stay on a boggie board lol lol.

I wonder if its possible to mix surfing with fishing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the vid on youtube of the guy on a surfboard rod in hand and a big lump of meat in a sharks mouth :biglaugh:.

Hey guys,

Its me again,

Well I want to tell you about our Christmases we have had.

We arrived Nov 07 well christmas 07 if I didnt have kids could have just passed me by.

This year my did I feel christmasy, Maybe Kevin Rudd and his christmas package may have helped big time.

But the best thing that happened was a few people I know not immensly well were meeting on the beach at Semephore, to cut a long story short, my girls fell asleep and everyone came to my house, footy on the beach, lots of beer had and a really good sing song untill early hours, best christmas I have had in years, we are gonna do this again next year, so if you fancy a bit of fun come on down.

Happy new Year

Laura xxxprobably the happiest person in Adelaide xxx glad we stayed and Thanking you for your support, it really helpedxxx

Hey guys,

Its me again,

We arrived Nov 07 well christmas 07 if I didnt have kids could have just passed me by.

This year my did I feel christmasy, Maybe Kevin Rudd and his christmas package may have helped big time.

But the best thing that happened was a few people I know not immensly well were meeting on the beach at Semephore, to cut a long story short, my girls fell asleep and everyone came to my house, footy on the beach, lots of beer had and a really good sing song untill early hours, best christmas I have had in years, we are gonna do this again next year, so if you fancy a bit of fun come on down.

Happy new Year

Laura xxxprobably the happiest person in Adelaide xxx glad we stayed and Thanking you for your support, it really helpedxxx

Hello Laura,

Happy New Year to you and yours. It's great reading your post as it's so positive. Glad you had a fantastic time and I wish you lots of good luck and happiness for 2009. You have come such a long way in a year. Great stuff.

Guest Guest75
Hey guys,

Its me again,

Happy new Year

A great read Laura!!

I knew you'd not had the happiest of times here last year but now what a difference!!!

Great to see things "locking in"

:D:D

Guest graandjac
Hey guys,

Its me again,

Happy new Year

Laura your troubled posts from a few months back and now this one should be put at the top of the PIA home page as inspiration to everyone, really glad to see things have turned around:notworthy:look forward to catching up with you one day

Guest Libby1971

What a relief!!!!!

Gra, I think you're brilliant. I have to say that at times I find reading your posts quite hard, especially when I don't feel quite the same. I can't see why you are so positive ALL the time. Don't get me wrong, I do like it here, and I love the family life we have here, but I think sometimes that I can't compete with all the positivity around me. I don't feel upbeat all the time and then I feel a fraud being around other people.

This thread has restored my hope that I will be able to be in Australia without going completely doo lally tap. And I also think some people are able to have a release on this forum without having to do it face to face. :notworthy::notworthy:

For me, it didn't feel like Xmas particularly but my kids are older...there is no Father Christmas (shhhh) and so they aren't interested in the shenanigans that make Xmas special when they are younger. Lasy year, we were hijacked as a prize display, or so it felt like...these are xxxx and xxx, our English friends... and I was so angry! This year, we did what we wanted, down the beach, had a laugh with some friends, had a great Boxing Day with some lovely people, and it did feel more celebratory rather than Xmas. I know it never snows in UK at Xmas but it sort of feels like it coz you are so damn cold/ miserable that the only way to spice things up a bit is with a pile of presents under an over the top tree before a stonking great roast.

Roll on next year! I can feel a bit of festivity coming our way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jiggy:

Guest graandjac

:cute:Thanks Libby, if only everyone felt that way....lol:wacko:, but guess what it's not all roses , but the thing that gets me (without opening old wounds)......is.

Its the stupid things that people worry about, lets look at the bigger picture guys ,does it really matter what you can or cannot buy or whether this or that is not the same.

So anyone who ever it maybe then starts to moan about the little things in life bugs me..........guess what no one died, without getting to deep i had what i consider (in 2000)to be a life changing experence. So my whole outlook on life has changed.

We have all been given a chance to change our lives , some maybe a second shot at life...!! so grab it by the balls and look to the future and dont worry about the small stuff.