Come dine with me Mr Mozzie

Guest Jamie&Carrie

Guest Jamie&Carrie

In the last few days I have been eaten alive by our resident mosquito, which is proving to be quite itch!

Can anyone recommend anything to help ward them off that works well?

It appears they are chewing on me in my sleep as Its my extremities that are exposed whilst sleeping that have been bitten.

(My pinky finger, my left forearm, my ankle oh my ear as I discovered this morning!)

I generate alot of bodyheat (and in this summer heat-perspiration also) especially when I sleep so I can understand why they love me so much! :sad:

Guest Jo&Phil

Damn things seem to love English blood. I was regularly feasted on by half the mozzie population of Adelaide, most of whom seemed to have invited all their friends to come along to dinner with them.

The only way seems to be to smother yourself in Aerogard --- or personal repellent as we call it as it is personally very repellent ..... you'll get used to the smell. :nah: You can get it from the supermarket or chemist (blue can or cannister) you just spray it on. There are other brands but that one seems to do the trick for us.

The plug ins already mentioned are good overnight and it's also useful to keep the screen doors shut to stop the beggars sneaking in.

For the itching you need a cream that has lignocaine as an active ingrediant, we tend to use one called 'Soov' which is quite good. The bites make me come up in very attractive lumps so I take an allergy tablet to reduce the swelling ......... love Piriton but you can't get it here unless you have any English visitors due.

The foolproof alternative is to sit next to someone who has arrived after you and whose lovely, sweet English blood is fresher than yours! :D

Good luck with the scratching!

Guest Jamie&Carrie
Damn things seem to love English blood. I was regularly feasted on by half the mozzie population of Adelaide, most of whom seemed to have invited all their friends to come along to dinner with them.

The only way seems to be to smother yourself in Aerogard --- or personal repellent as we call it as it is personally very repellent ..... you'll get used to the smell. :nah: You can get it from the supermarket or chemist (blue can or cannister) you just spray it on. There are other brands but that one seems to do the trick for us.

The plug ins already mentioned are good overnight and it's also useful to keep the screen doors shut to stop the beggars sneaking in.

For the itching you need a cream that has lignocaine as an active ingrediant, we tend to use one called 'Soov' which is quite good. The bites make me come up in very attractive lumps so I take an allergy tablet to reduce the swelling ......... love Piriton but you can't get it here unless you have any English visitors due.

The foolproof alternative is to sit next to someone who has arrived after you and whose lovely, sweet English blood is fresher than yours! :D

Good luck with the scratching!

Once again, useful info from some helpful bods. I thank thee! :notworthy:

Just bought some aeroguard now and will be investing in a mozzie net for the bed very soon!

Cheers guys

My mum has just come back from the doctors after getting bitten very badly last night. Suggested an antihistamine if you swell up, wear light coloured clothing, always keep your feet covered and liberally spray the bed, your clothes etc with any product that contains DELT. People from the UK do not taste any different, they just have no immunity and it takes about two years to build up....he did advise against taking an antihistamine on a daily basis for prevention as you do not build up this immunity. Joanne

ive been bit a few times and they swell up alot. I have noticed lately that if i get bit they are getting smaller so agree about the immunity thing.

We use either mortein mozzie wheels when sat outside at night ,keep fly screens shut (thats why they are there). They love my ankles so i always use a spray with deet in they hate it. Take vit b supplements and garlic too x

Guest Jamie&Carrie

Well garlic is a defo for me...will be adding it to my chicken satay stir fry tonight!

I almost choked to death spraying myself with aeroguard last nite...but I don't have any new bites...(that I can feel). I will only know when I begin to itch, thats when you know. Then comes the swelling!

Claire, I have to agree with you about the immunity thing. When i was last here i got bit alot but then as time went by...not so much or at least I didn't whinge over it so much! And yes the swelling did become less of a problem after living here 8-12 months.

Popped some tiger balm on the one that swelling up to the size of a 50c coin and now its smaller than a 5c coin now... good show old bean! :jiggy:

Guest maxxangel

Aeroguard isn't the nicest smelling is it. I find Rid smells a bit better and works just as well.

Do you really build up an immunity? I spoke to my neighbour (5 generation South Aussie) and she says she reacts to them. Seen another Aussie covered in them too.

Guest lastboyscout

Rid is very good , use this stuff more than aerogard ;)

But I`ve mentioned this a few times, for a cheap alrternative to expensive repellents, get a trigger spray bottle and half fill it with baby oil, and top up with dettol, give it a good shake and there it is , a cheap (but a bit smelly) mozzie repellent ;)

Guest Jamie&Carrie
Rid is very good , use this stuff more than aerogard ;)

But I`ve mentioned this a few times, for a cheap alrternative to expensive repellents, get a trigger spray bottle and half fill it with baby oil, and top up with dettol, give it a good shake and there it is , a cheap (but a bit smelly) mozzie repellent

I hope detol on the skin is alright? ;)

Well I haven't been bitten again, (touch wood :err:) so big props to the aerogaurd.

Some one also recommended Tiger balm for bites and also to put on the ankles, wrists, neck, behind the knees and at touch on the belly as a repellant. apparently the mozzies can't stand the stuff.

Thanks for all your replies on this guys, :notworthy: