Hello again x

cormcvcr

Hi all,

I haven't been on for a while, as I have basically been working my butt off on a casual post within Flinders Hospital, which I can now officially say has been well worth it as I started a permanent role on Monday.

I'm so tired but absolutely delighted that my hard work has finally paid off.

I just felt that this was an important announcement to make, especially to any new people coming over, that things do come good but a lot of hard work and doing jobs that you wouldn't normally have considered have to be put onto the list.

We have been here just over 10 months now and are now seeing light at the end of a very long tunnel with regards to finances. We are temp residents and receive no government help (which isn't what we came here for anyway but every little helps). We were hoping that as soon as I secured a permanent post that we could buy our own place, but we have decided to wait a bit longer and recoup some of our savings that have went on our survival up to now.

Things that seem really important while in the UK, like getting a nice house with a pool, sea views, nice car etc., aren't quite so when you get here and live a bit and get used to the bills, wages etc. So try not to put too much pressure on yourselves, get to grips with it all first then make decisions based on the situation that you find yourselves in.

It's been a hard slog but a huge learning experience, which we wouldn't change for anything.

So I know it's easy for someone to say, try not to stress too much but things will work out for you if you put the hard work into it and don't restrict yourself in the types of work that is out there.

I know a fair few people through this site now and they also know what we have went through to get this far, but we are not the first to go through this and definately won't be the last.

So, keep plugging away as the rewards taste all the sweeter when things finally come together.

x

Indeed, well said Cornelia and so so true. We couldn't agree more with what you've said, given that we too are having to be extremely flexible, frugal and patient in our quest for the life we believed we would gain. It does take time and in many ways it's very much like setting up life from scratch...you almost have to take several steps back here in order to eventually get where you want to be. We've been in Adelaide just over a year and we're still taking baby steps towards that bigger picture and expect it will be sometime before we achieve the lifestyle and security we want. We are extremely fortunate that we do own our own place and are currently debt free (apart from a small mortgage) but by no means yet feel secure financially, mainly because I'm not working and the wages here are low compared with wages in the UK.

Congratulations to you all Cornelia for sticking with it...you certainly deserve a permanent position, and I'm sure will continue to reap the rewards of all your hard work and commitment to your new life.

Thanks for sharing your news and thoughts...

Bye for now

Dette :)

Guest donna T

CONGRATULATIONS!!!:jiggy:

Fab news Cornelia - really pleased for you. You have the can do attitude that has always meant that things would come right for you as you absolutely refused to let anything get you down for long. :notworthy:

Well done and best of luck in your new role,

catch up soon

Donna xxx

Guest Lulujim

Hi Cornelia,

Even though we have never met I feel like I know you so well! I remember you leaving the UK and asking your advice for my SA Sponsorship way back last January!

You have done so well - your posts have always been positive and your glass is always half full, even though I know it hasn't always been easy for you.

Your posts always give us hope here when we read others saying how tough it is - I know everyone's situation is different, but I think a lot of it is down to a positive and determined attitude too. :notworthy:

Hope to meet you when we come to Adelaide!

Alexis

Guest guest569

Congratulations Cornellia on the job !!! and a BIG well done to the whole family for working so hard to make the dream work for you all. A great post with wise words !!! :notworthy:

Guest Guest75
Congratulations Cornellia on the job !!! and a BIG well done to the whole family for working so hard to make the dream work for you all. A great post with wise words !!! :notworthy:

Oi!

I was gonna say that!;)

Best wishes from the Tykes Cornelia,great to see your life "locking in" here.