I saw my first redback spider today!

Guest cazzie

Bill was clearing out the garage as we had an ants nest and he called me in to see a redback spider - yuk! He killed it and then we discovered another redback and quite a big one too. Now I know they really do exist. We also had a cricket in the house last night - disgusting! Does this mean that there will be more beasties about now that it's hotter?

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Cazzie,

Take a look at the photo. This ugly thing was sat on the garage door when we came home from the firework display last night. He lives in the garage somewhere!

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:dont worry about the red backs, our Owen gets flys and feeds them out side the house, the biggest red back even has a huntsman about 2.5 in across wraped up ready for tea

Guest LOOBYLOO

We found a redback outside the house the first night we moved in here. Next day another one in the laundry room - luckily not seen any more. We had our second huntsman last night - OMG they are big!

Guest graandjac
What the hell kind of spider is that????:shocked:

Looks like a huntsman, your going to have to get used to the bugs Denise other wise it will start to take over and you'll be checking everything:biglaugh:

Looks like a huntsman, your going to have to get used to the bugs Denise other wise it will start to take over and you'll be checking everything:biglaugh:

I know, I need to chill, its wierd though, I lived in Sydney for a year and have spent lots of time in Perth and I've never seen a huntsman!! I dont mind the redbacks, they're usually squashable, its all this talk of gigantic huntsmen coming in with the post and falling down in your car. I'm turning into a nervous wreck and I'm not even there.

Guest Martin and Val
What the hell kind of spider is that????:shocked:

Hi Denise,

We didn't get his name, we took the photo's ran inside locked the doors shut the windows and didn't answer the door when he knocked!!:biglaugh:

If you look at the photo's it looks like he had grown extra legs between the photo's being taken!?! :unsure:

Oh, don't forget to thank me for this post as we've not got any thanks yet!!!:biglaugh:

Guest Martin and Val

I bet it didn't ring the door bell and stay there knocking the door the rest of the night like ours did!:biglaugh:

We've got two thank you's..thank you Denise & BAZnDAF.

Hi Cazzie,

Take a look at the photo. This ugly thing was sat on the garage door when we came home from the firework display last night. He lives in the garage somewhere!

Oh my God Martin! That is just horrible! I feel like Denise - I hate them and they give me the creeps. I hope I never see one that big! I could not imagine going anywhere near it, never mind trying to kill it or move it. Nooooooooo.....

:arghh:

Hi Martin and Val - your spider looks like a wolf spider - although can't really tell from that angle (it is also a lot smaller than they normally are) they're very distinctive as they have a 'union jack' embrossed in their back - that's not a joke either! You can look him up. We've got some really cool photos of the latest one we had here - OH put a pint glass over him and old wolfy was trying to kick it over!!! I'm no good at getting them on here so will get some advice later!

Hi Cazzie yep the warm weather deffo brings things out - wear shoes if you get up in the night!

Guest Libby1971

Not quite spiders but had my first day back at work today. As I tried to get into the building I happened to look down and saw to my disgust at least 25 dead cockroaches by the door. Now this leads me to think that 25 dead cockroaches=50 live ones. And where are they? Maybe outside, maybe inside, maybe near my office in which case I am not!!!!!!

we found a redback in our postbox last week. Id felt a web in there everytime i put my hand in to get post. Then i saw it dangling down so i morteined the hell out of it. we got the house sprayed yesterday inside and out as had white tips.

I personally wouldnt put a white tip back outside or a redback, anything that bites your best terminating. Seen a few nasty wounds from white tips, not worth messing with just squish em :biglaugh: you can tell if youve got white tips in your house by the cobwebs i got told yesterday and weve got loads they just appear overnight. :swoon:

Guest graandjac
Oh my God Martin! That is just horrible! I feel like Denise - I hate them and they give me the creeps. I hope I never see one that big! I could not imagine going anywhere near it, never mind trying to kill it or move it. Nooooooooo.....

:arghh:

How big is ....!!!!! there is nothing in the pic to compare it to and everyone is in a panic....lol, its only big when it gets over 3ins.....lol:biglaugh:

How big is ....!!!!! there is nothing in the pic to compare it to and everyone is in a panic....lol, its only big when it gets over 3ins.....lol:biglaugh:

Thanks Graham, I never would have thought of 3 inches as huge before - now I know size is everything!;)

Guest cornish Busdriver

Spiders are ok, i keep daddy long legs running all over the house cause they let me know if theres any other nasty spiders about (they hide).

Redbacks are ok unless there sweld up and can kill you if you get bitten.

White tips will give you the flesh eating desise if you get bitten.

Huntsman bite is like a bee sting (got bit twice in one night by same spider)

Wolf spider are black and got a white stripe on the head end but harmless just look scary.

My problem is bloody ants coming in.

Spiders are ok, i keep daddy long legs running all over the house cause they let me know if theres any other nasty spiders about (they hide).

Redbacks are ok unless there sweld up and can kill you if you get bitten.

White tips will give you the flesh eating desise if you get bitten.

Huntsman bite is like a bee sting (got bit twice in one night by same spider)

Wolf spider are black and got a white stripe on the head end but harmless just look scary.

My problem is bloody ants coming in.

Thanks for the spider info Matt. Ants are driving me crazy today! We have a nest in the garage and they are coming into the dining room. Can you recommend the best product to get rid of them please, Thanks.

Guest Jamie&Carrie

Just showed the attachments to Caz and you have thoroughly spooked her....not that she didn't know of the potential pests in this country! :elvis:

We are just about to move into a little unit in Toorak Gardens, what kinda stuff do you guys recommend to keep these little beasts at bay?

Mortein is apparently the best but what types to use and how to do it? Spray the door frames and windows including the slatted window in the laundry? What about inside perimeters? They don't ruin carpets or stain area's do they??

We got the keys now but don't move until late next week...its totally empty to. Do you think we set off the mortein bombs in the bed room/living room and kitchen and laundry as it will be empty???

Spiders are fine. They leave us alone and we leave them alone. The real pests (as Cazzie mentioned) are the ants. They have tried to eat me alive on a fair few occaisions. Normally when hanging the washing out. Unlike their UK cousins they aren't content just to tickle you, they bite. And they bite hard. Poor Joe has had to be stripped a few times when they've covered him.