Power Failure

Guest Martin and Val

Guest Martin and Val

That was hot one last night!

We went out for a really nice family meal for my cousins 40th birthday but when we arrived back home we found we had a power failure. The house was pitch black and stinking hot!

We ended up down at the beach at midnight trying to get some cool air, that didn't work although it was a little better.

All night with no power which in turn means no cooling, no electric fan no nothing. I can tell you it's not funny.

The power suddenly sprang back to life at 6.15 this morning but the house was like an oven by then and has only just started to cool down a little now.

We hope that doesnt happen again!!!:realmad:

From what I've read there were power outages in 50 suburbs last night, 2 of which border on mine, although we weren't affected...this time. Co-worker just said she read there are power outages today in her area. 3 days into this with a week to go I would bet that for sure there will be more. Prob best not to stock up on food!

Hi Martin and Val,

That is a nightmare! Trust that to happen on the hottest night of the year so far! I hope the electricity stays on for you from now on otherwise it will be wet tea towels all round.

Keep smiling.

Guest guest569
That was hot one last night!

We went out for a really nice family meal for my cousins 40th birthday but when we arrived back home we found we had a power failure. The house was pitch black and stinking hot!

We ended up down at the beach at midnight trying to get some cool air, that didn't work although it was a little better.

All night with no power which in turn means no cooling, no electric fan no nothing. I can tell you it's not funny.

The power suddenly sprang back to life at 6.15 this morning but the house was like an oven by then and has only just started to cool down a little now.

We hope that doesnt happen again!!!:realmad:

Are you sure it wasn't a revenging pom that has been upset by the amount of times you've said over the past week how good it it swimming in your pool and drinking cold beer Whilst theyve been suffering the heatwave ????:jiggy:;)

Guest Martin and Val
Are you sure it wasn't a revenging pom that has been upset by the amount of times you've said over the past week how good it it swimming in your pool and drinking cold beer Whilst theyve been suffering the heatwave ????

Mmmmmm lol......could be alot of suspects !!!

Now I wonder!!! You don’t think it is somebody from Bunnings trying to make me buy extra AirCon units when the power returns do you? :err::biglaugh:

It was on the news that the electricity demand is too high during these warmer times what with a lot of air con units on etc- happens each year - this year they are turning off electricity to different suburbs at a time for a few hours so that they can cope with demand - they don't say though which suburb and which time for how long :err: so could happen at any time :arghh:

Guest Martin and Val

Val had an-mail yesterday at work about it, it reads like this:

Subject: Power Outages in Adelaide

We have been advised that during the current heatwave suburbs will be randomly selected by ETSA to have their power out for ½ hour. We do not know how/when each suburb will be affected.

So … hopefully this will mean that if your power does go out that it will only last for a max of ½ hour (but these things can and do change!!)

Ours was out for at least 8 hours on the hottest night for years, it was a little unfair don't you think?

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Martin

It would make so much more sense for them to shut it off for an hour or two on purpose than have the transformers overheat and then have you out of power for 8 hours etc. My husband did say last night that ETSA is responsible for compensating you for any losses (food, maybe our fishies!) if they turn the power off....although I do sometimes think he has a severe case of wishful thinking in accordance with his own morals;)

Guest Tracey Smith

Our power went off in Woodcroft at 7.45 pm and we thought it was our turn for the shut off. It was finally reinstated at 9 am this morning. Not a lot of sleep had as my OH is a postie and was supposed to be getting up at 5 am without his trusty alarm. Also was stiffling hot in the house as the air conditioner hadn't been on long before the power went off.

Let's hope that is our only one.

Tracey

Guest Tracey Smith

We were going to use that until I realised my phone needed charging so was also worried that it wouldn't go off. Needn't have worried cos hardly slept anyway cos so hot.

Phew panic over. LOL. Our power went off this afternoon at 2.10pm which was fine until I realised my car was in the garage and I needed the car to collect the kids from School. One in Happy Valley the other Hallet Cove ( there is no way i could have walked there in this heat!!). Our garage has an electric door so therefore would not open. Phoned hubby at work telling him he would have to come home to get our Son from School and then he told me about the manual cord to open the garage door. Yep managed to do that and opened the door but it would not stay up ( and it was a heavy double garage door), so hubby said find something to prop it open. " Hello" what exactly was I supposed to find from the house. Anyway managed to prop the door open, got the car out without the garage door falling on it. Went back inside all hot and bothered and guess what the power was back ON !!!. Arghhhhh all that effort.

Guest Martin and Val

It looks like many of us are going to have the power off at some stage, see the attached link although we were not cut off again today it states that some houses in our area were affected yet again.

With the temparartures what they are at the moment I would suggest keep your Aircon on if you have power as it may go off without warning.

Oh, and make sure you've a full gas bottle and the fridge is fully stocked with pre chilled drinks.

Martin

http://www.etsautilities.com.au/centric/news_information/power_interruptions/power_interruptions_current.jsp

Guest Jamie&Carrie

Posted on a news site (adelaide) about 50 mins ago...

"There is no sign of relief, with daytime temperatures forecast to remain at 38C or above for the next seven days, before rising to 40C again next Thursday. Experts say Adelaide could match or exceed last year's record heatwave of 15 days of temperatures above 35C."

:swoon:

There are more planned 'controlled' black outs but say they have an oversight and there is another outtage (not controlled) but this time it takes 8-10 hours to come back on and its the middle of the night.

Call me Mr Sensible but if you don't have home insurance then I would suggest you get it...

Scenario:

Food shopping for a family of 5 for the week-deep freeze and fridge-chicken, fresh fish (you get the idea) all has to be thrown out...how much would that cost?

How long would it take a deep freeze and fridge to defrost in this heat?

Say it causes a small puddle on your floor that then stretches to your expensive carpet soaking it through.

It's unlikely that you would make a claim but then it all depends on what monetary value you're talking per family...

(you can tell I work in the insurance industry! LOL!) :wacko:

We've just had our half hour outage in Woodcroft (I was in Foodland and the staff there were impressively organised, and had torches on, chill cabinets covered etc within 2 minutes - super effort guys). Thank goodness that's the only power cut here so far.

Now if someone could PLEEEEEEEEEASE arrange a very lengthy cut for Camden Park starting around 5.40am on Monday I would be very grateful!

The Panalatinga Road/Pimpala Road intersection was 'interesting' without the traffic lights working

I shut my eyes and prayed as I went through this afternoon. On Wednesday junk food corner was out - bloody scary!:arghh:

Guest guest569

Live and learn everyone !!! You have moved to a very warm country that has very little rainfall !!!! last year we had a record heatwave and this year we have record heat temperatures !!!! A word of advise would be leave NOTHING to chance and expect the unexpected. Don't get caught out again next year as this will become the usual enviroment that we all now live in.

I think i can " hear " the pom coming out in a few newbies now the novelty has worn off.:biglaugh:

By the way, if traffic lights are not working you treat the junction as if there was a roundabout in the middle - i.e. give priority to the right.

And I wouldn't "stock up on food" as was suggested - firstly, what's the point of filling the fridge/freezer if it all gets ruined and secondly, hey, what better way than escaping the heat than to go out to a restaurant in a suburb with power and use their cooling for a bit! :-)

Finally, if you are using your air conditioning, try and limit the number of rooms you try to cool to avoid overloading your system - shut as many doors as possible and just cool a room with tiles if you can. I speak from experience as someone whose air conditioning unit has been really struggling in these temps!

Stay cool folks! Cooler nights are coming....

D

xx

Guest Martin and Val

If your worried about your freezer shopping etc, we had the first power cut which lasted 8 hours it may have been a little longer we don't know as we were out enjoying ourselves.

All our Fridge and Freezer stuff survived OK and was all still well and truly frozen when the power came back on. Admittedly they are new appliances so they should be very efficient.

I'm enjoying the heat but at night without air-con due to power cuts is a different story and I feel for all those with the kids.

Never mind thats the card we were dealt so off for another swim and bottle....

Martin

If your worried about your freezer shopping etc, we had the first power cut which lasted 8 hours it may have been a little longer we don't know as we were out enjoying ourselves.

All our Fridge and Freezer stuff survived OK and was all still well and truly frozen when the power came back on.

That''s great to know! I guess the key is not to open the fridge/freezer during the outage.