Why Adelaide?

Guest 0125dannydanny

Guest 0125dannydanny

Hi all, hope everyone is good. I just wondered why everyone over in Aelaide decided to settle there rather than anywhere else? this is coming fromsomeone who can't really afford going out o check different places.

Guest ReadyPenny

Well am not quite there - yet! We didnt really choose Adelaide, it chose us. After we started the whole process, Sean got offered a job there, so we went last August for a look around and loved it. We too couldnt afford to trek the whole of Australia to decide where to settle - I dont think many can to be honest!! We decided that it was as good a choice as any and the decision was kind of taken out of our hands, so it was easy!

Mandy

Guest Sandisonsonthemove

We are in pretty much the same situation in that we cannot afford to go traipsing around finding the 'right' place to live. For years I have dreamed of moving to Australia and have always had a pull to Adelaide. I have no reasons to give for that other than the climate, it looks a lovely place to live, the beaches and thankfully there are some jobs out there (all of which seem to be paying more than we are getting here and that is at a basic level!). I just hope that the dream I have had all these years doesn't turn out to be a nightmare in the end! Unfortunately convincing my 10 year old at the moment is difficult as he is completely closed to the whole idea. We are applying for a 175 visa and have a long way to go so a lot of time to spend bribing and cajoling!!! ;)

Climate and being a smaller city than Melbourne. We researched everywhere and Adelaide was the only place that ticked All the boxes. Brissie came close but we don't really do humidity well.:nah:

Pete

Guest brandyslad

Our reasons for Adelaide are the weather, yes it gets very hot but this was preferable to the more humid heat of say Brisbane. Also is it is a smaller city so easier to manage, my OH was in Sydney and liked it ok but a bit overwhelming as we are not really used to city life. Plus my job was on the sponsorhip list for Adelaide. It was between it and Melbourne but we not have been able to go to Melbourne we had to go to a remote are of Victoria and wanted the freedom that South Australia were able to offer. Plus it looks like a great place to live from the research we have done.

Guest brandyslad
Climate and being a smaller city than Melbourne. We researched everywhere and Adelaide was the only place that ticked All the boxes. Brissie came close but we don't really do humidity well.:nah:

Pete

Snap!!!!!!!

Pete

Same as Django, it ticked all our boxes and i have a mate who has been here for 12 years.

My mrs first destination was here, but i looked around a bit.

So glad we chose here its HEAPS GOOD !!!:notworthy::D

With us it was because the SA Gov advertised a need for skills in all the leading Big UK City newspapers,around mid 2007 ish,so we thought"yes,why not"for our kids sake,and a very last chance(age)for us.We feel youngsters will have a better chance in life with Australian Citizenship.Our 3 sons 23,18 and 16,dont like it one bit mind,they are missing their mates and lifestyle like mad,which we understand,but maybe one day eh! so thanks to the SA Gov we have alternatives now,and we are very grateful for that.

Hi there, we originally wanted to go to Perth after spending so much time there but our visa only allows us to go to Adelaide, ow we wouldnt have it any other way. For us its the family appeal, everything really does seem to be geared towards families and we can't wait to bring our two up there. Also it is still cheaper than most of the other states, especially Perth which is now just as ridiculous as the UK. Finally its the size and population, there are more people in Greater Manchester than there are in the whole of Adelaide! All that space and of course the weather.

Hope this helps

We chose Melbourne first, we figured we had a support network there (OH sister lives there) and the weather was more suitable (to me), we'd also visited there a few times over the years, We lived in Melbourne for 9 months and were very nearly booked on the next flight out of Aus and back to the UK. Thankfully we decided tho that we needed to give Australia a 110%, (given up too much to go back without trying) And so we moved to Adelaide after visiting it for a weekend. Have to say its the best move we made, its quieter yes, but well for us thats a positive not a negative, its easier to get around compared to Melbourne (even with its freeways here, there and everywhere) and much friendlier :) You also have the beaches, the hills, the winaries, and the weather

Isn't for everyone but well we like it :)

Greater Manchester than there are in the whole of Adelaide!

Greater Manchester has a far larger population than South Australia.;)

Have to say its the best move we made, its quieter yes, but well for us thats a positive not a negative

Snap. We love it here.

Pete

We visited my best friend in Adelaide back in 2006 fell in love with the place and spent the rest of the holiday doing research on where to live etc. Came home and put it to the back of my mind but was always niggleing away at me. So finally applied for a job and here we are on our way in 5 weeks and the day we land is exactly 3 years since we left Adelaide.

Jo x

SA is the only state where you can settle in the capital if you have a certain kind of Visa (sorry dont know which ones) in the other states peeps on those Visa's are not allowed to settle in the capital, i.e Melb or Syd, Adelaide is classifed as a country area for the purpose of migration.

we too came cos it ticked all our boxes, too many other states had things against them for us as a family ie high house prices, humidity etc, we too had queensland down as our first choice and researched that state like mad,our desicion to come was all a bit rushed when i looked back, we knew nothing about any state yet had already started teh visa process, it was only once the visa was in the motions that we started looking serious at places, then seen summat somewhere mentioned adelaide, and just started to look at adelaide, started some research and it just felt right, and we are so glad we did, its just felt right for us from the day we landed, cant say why i really dont know why we have settled here, circumstances i guess, things have just worked out for us, and we now love it here, given the choice again we would choose adelaide first every time

no one can say if you will settle here, its different for everyone, we all want and expect different things from life and only when u get here and start living it will you know if its the right place for you

Dawn xx

We have considered moving to another state. We love Perth but we can't afford to buy a house there and I'm not going back to living in a flat as we did that when I first arrived. We loved Tasmania but didn't like the climate, too cold. We both hate Melbourne because it reminds us of England. We love Sydney but only for holidays and visit family there. QLD was too humid. Not been to Darwin but think it's too hot up there.

So we decided to stay put in SA. It ticks all our boxes too!

Guest Jamie&Carrie
We have considered moving to another state. We love Perth but we can't afford to buy a house there and I'm not going back to living in a flat as we did that when I first arrived. We loved Tasmania but didn't like the climate, too cold. We both hate Melbourne because it reminds us of England. We love Sydney but only for holidays and visit family there. QLD was too humid. Not been to Darwin but think it's too hot up there.

So we decided to stay put in SA. It ticks all our boxes too!

If I can play devils advocate regarding Darwin...

I loved that place FOR A HOLIDAY and a gateway to Kakadhu and Katherine etc but as a CBD it's way smaller than Adelaide. Also the weather goes from humid 40 degree heat to monsoon conditions with rain and yes more rain.

Adelaide has seasonal weather and like other posters have said the other states have to many extremes dependant on where you are. Sydney is a good medium like SA too but a tad to expensive with regards to living.

Guest Jo&Phil

This will be completely useless to you because ............

I settled in Adelaide because I met this Aussie bloke ............. and the rest is history!

Having said that ....... it's a city with a town feel and is very easy to get around and get to know quickly, which helps you feel like you know where you're going and helps you feel at home.

The best wine in the country, good beaches, restaurants, work/life balance also help!

It's not a huge party town....... but then I'm too old to care!

. We both hate Melbourne because it reminds us of England.

:jiggy::v_SPIN:

So funny this quote me and a friend went on a road trip to Melbourne to pick up a trailer tent from here, we wnet righ thru the middle of it and thought OMFG lets get in and out of this place as wuick as we can, we hated every bit of it....but its all down to personal choice we just thought the same as you Moosh.

Way Way too much like London.:dull: