I'm so glad...

Guest Jamie&Carrie

Guest Jamie&Carrie

I'm so glad that this forum site is not (usually) a battle ground like certain other sites.

There is a little battle going on right now, the subject of which is "What is Adelaide like?"

I just wanna state my observations on this...

Some people have way to much time on their hands to be starting 'civil' wars with others like ourselves who are trying our best to adjust to the Aussie way of life regardless of which state they live in...

However from reading some of the posts some brits have adapted quite well by adopting the usual taking sides (states) that the Aussies seem to do yet sometimes take it to far or maybe the adopted brits take to far like in football (soccer) for example.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588334

I'm not asking anyone to add to the thread on the link above, hell no. I don't think we should rise to it but just see how a forum shouldn't act.

I just wanna say I love it here in Adelaide and everything that comes with it..including 40 degree heat! :goofy:

Tim, hope I haven't broke any forum rules posting that link mate. :err:

Guest Guest75

Good observations.......

There are a few ,very bitter "returners" as well that go out of their way to cause trouble.God forbid that anyone makes a decision based upon some of thier posts!:arghh:

Guest Jamie&Carrie
Good observations.......

There are a few ,very bitter "returners" as well that go out of their way to cause trouble.God forbid that anyone makes a decision based upon some of thier posts!:arghh:

Exactly. If I'm truthful, I visted every state whilst backpacking 4 yrs ago and I have equal amounts of respect and like for them ALL!

:notworthy:

Guest Jamie&Carrie

I think people (poms in this case) take for granted how lucky they really really are.

I was born in Liverpool, Toxteth when we was under the Thatcher administration and boy times were tough. My dad had two jobs and mum stayed at home to look after us both, we living in a sh*tty 2 bed council flat and had a fantastic view of drug dealers, prostitutes and not forgetting the riots. My parent's worked hard to get me and my sister out of there and after lots of toil they did it and we got out. Who knows what I could have ended up doing if we stayed. Drug dealing, burgling houses, mugging people? It sounds cliche but people did what they could to survive back then.

Never in my wildest dreams when growing up could I even think that I would have this opportunity now.

My point is, some people will never ever get the chance to holiday outside of the UK nevermind emmigrate somewhere new. We have all been given a fantastic chance to gain new experiences, start a new life.

I just don't understand people who get this opportunity that then jump on the bandwagon of bashing other peoples views of someones hometown.

Never forget where you came from.

I backpacked here in 04-05 and it was a dream and pipe dream at that to come back to Australia to live with the hope of it being forever.

I'm living that dream and to put the icing on the cake I am sharing it with someone I love. What could be better than that?

So in closing... I'm grateful. :notworthy:

i saw that thread but decided to not bother replying as i couldnt be arsed argueing. I did reply to another one , only because someone called manchester (my home town) souless:wacko:and i thought that was not only very untrue, it was highly amusing and ridiculus, especially as it was based on an overnight stay in a mediocre hotel. :biglaugh:

i might reply when i get rid of my headache just to point how inaccurate some people are x

Guest caoimhe

Bloomin heck I have just read that thread and am really glad I am not part of that forum :chatterbox:

Is there really that many nasty people out there just waiting to jump down your throat when your give you opinion :wacko: some people need to get lives

:biglaugh: Sorry but I found it hysterical.:biglaugh:

Who cares that numpties think Adelaide is a dump. It stops them coming here.;) They ought to have a go at living where I come from if tey eally want somewhere to slag off.:jimlad:

Pete

Guest Jamie&Carrie
Sorry but I found it hysterical.:biglaugh:

Who cares that numpties think Adelaide is a dump. It stops them coming here.;) They ought to have a go at living where I come from if tey eally want somewhere to slag off.:jimlad:

Pete

Where are you from Pete? (you knew that was coming!) ;)

Where are you from Pete?

I'm from 'The Bush' London W12 ;) The place that makes The Bronx look like Dibley:jimlad:

I did snigger at the suggestion that if you come from a big smoke that you will find Adelaide 'boring' :biglaugh:

Pete

Guest Jamie&Carrie
I'm from 'The Bush' London W12 ;) The place that makes The Bronx look like Dibley:jimlad:

I did snigger at the suggestion that if you come from a big smoke that you will find Adelaide 'boring' :biglaugh:

Pete

Life is what you make of it. You and I both come from metropolis like cities so you would be forgiven for thinking that we would find Adelaide boring.

Not so. Sunday we drove to Hallet Cove and Brighton with a couple of friends to walk along the beach and cool down our feet in the water...sun was setting in the background, everyone was having fun. Finished the night by having a beer at a nearby pub on Brighton Jetty. What a perfect way to spend a Sunday night before the rat race begins on Monday (work).

After 5 days of slaving away in an office I think I could get used to doing that every weekend. What could I do in Manchester or Liverpool on a typical Sunday nite? Sit IN a pub which would be incredibly loud and crowded if the weather were good. Couldn't stand outside in the beer garden cos its usually jam packed with punters who have been drinking since noon or earlier cos they see a little bit of sun...(might not see it again they think...off to the pub!) am I right?

Am looking forward to the Clipsal in March to!

Well, I like Adelaide, it suits me and my family but I can see that it wouldn't suit everyone, because one man's meat and other such cliches!

However it does always make me smile when I read posts from people who have left either Adelaide or Australia to go back to the UK/head to a different state, and yet still feel the need to come onto a predominantly Adelaide forum, or an Adelaide thread on an expat forum, and add their often-snipey comments. If people have gone back to England after all, do they still count themselves as "ex pats"? Can you be a "reformed ex pat"? Sometimes I think in their hearts they are maybe still missing the place and just won't admit it!

Of course, I understand that some people make good friends while they're here and perhaps come on to see what everyone's up to, but I have the feeling the antogoniser on that thread might not have a great deal of friends here in SA!

Guest brandyslad

LOL - quote 'Sadelaide'!! Someone has let their 5 year old loose on BE!

The majority of threads over on that forum are highjacked by people squabbling, the poor OP probably put that on innoncently enough and that all start talking **** about exclaimation marks, how bad everything is blah blah!!!

[

Of course, I understand that some people make good friends while they're here and perhaps come on to see what everyone's up to, but I have the feeling the antogoniser on that thread might not have a great deal of friends here in SA!

Nor anywhere else for that matter!

What a numpty :biglaugh::biglaugh: