how do you start a forum?

foxychick

Just wondering how hard it is to set up and maintain a forum and what rules apply, can you set it so people have to pay you for advertising etc? not thinking of anything related to oz, just something I am thinking about in relation to a business idea.

am thinking it might be a no go as I am not too savvy on the computer.

any help appreciated

Guest Milliesdad

Hi

I have set up my own website using these people

http://www.mrsite.com.au

Well the UK version anyway. It comes with a Forum and a paypal shop and all of the tools you will need including templates, your own specified .com (etc) web address, email addresses and webspace.

Looking at their site it would be a one off fee of AU$109.99 for the first year then a fee for hosting subsequent years. (seems a lot more than I paid in the UK)

I found it very easy to use, but I am sure that there are others available.

Happy to help further if you need it

Best Regards

Jason

Guest Martin and Val
Just wondering how hard it is to set up and maintain a forum and what rules apply,

Don't know what you have in mind or what content it will have. A forum like this one with people to moderate and a huge membership pretty much runs itself. Tim will be busy in the background updating things and obviously paying his yearly amounts for hosting. Some can be gained back by advertising but it really does depend on the type of web site and it's purpose.

I designed and built my own web site a couple of years ago, it does have a forum although it only has a hand full of members as it's not everybody's interest. The more members a forum has the easier it runs as more people are taking part which in turn generates topics.

I really can't remember what I paid for the web address, I paid for a duration of 5 years at which point I need to pay again. I also pay a yearly fee for hosting which isn't a great deal at all. Take a look at http://www.plugsocket.com/ all the prices are on there.

The Forum it self was a free download script which you modify to suit and add it to your own site address.

Take a look at http://www.simplemachines.org/ this is the one I use and I find it very good.

Martin

Guest graandjac

:)I think the trick to a web site is trying to get the traffic your way, so that when a search is done your site comes near the top of the list, which is not as easy as it sounds....good luck