Back with my eurotrip observations. lol

Rachiegarlo

Only rude disinterested person I met was the easyjet check-in counter girl who rolled her eyes at me and just couldn't be bothered. Oh and forgot the post office person who shut shop even though she could see me writing out addresses on boxes to send back here. Could only persuade her to weigh them and tell me the postage and that was only cos I was flying back next day and that would be a sunday. She told the disabled person behind me he should have come in earlier!

Somervilles sells jars of Vegemite.

The Trafford centre in Manchester is a tarted up Marion, but enjoyed the novelty of it especially the food court. Loved the centre of Manchester with the canals and warehouses. Exellent tram service.

Your teenagers pay HOW MUCH for a pair of UGGS. Couldn't resist telling people how they are so not a fashion item here and cost $40-90 :) not equiv of $400

Just wot is it with the orange makeup look for faces.

It takes the same amount of time to get from Stansted into London as it does to fly from Copenhagen to London.

London Underground beats Paris metro, found it very clean, whereas Paris metro smells like a toilet and people just shove in, using their shoulder to move forward until there really is no more room.

Tower of London has the most amount of gift shops for one tourist place.

Junk food is soooo cheap, except fast junk food.

Coke tastes like Aus diet coke. Fanta is yellow.

We really love Liverpool, it is a great place, with great people in general.

French people eat packed sandwiches in queues for Oasis concerts and Baguettes are sold before and in breaks at the concerts. Spotted one guy reading a newspaper before the warm up act.

Some People use the words "credit crunch" as an excuse for everything, especially when they have not lost their job, are not likely to etc.

Fosters should not be sold in pubs, it is a disgrace to Aus beer. It tastes as though someone has swished an alcoholic teabag through a glass of fizzy water.

English sausages are great. I'd forgotten why it is necessary to lather sausages in sauce and onions here. :)

M&S food :) especially choc eclairs.

Loved the freezing cold weather, it hardly rained at all. Still would have gone out in it though. Sorry but that's just me and if I'd brought up my kids in UK still would have gone out with them but just well wrapped up cos that's what we did as kids in UK and we didn't have central heating either.

It's great to be able to zip across to places like York and back in a day. Trains are great. Love the fact that you can get hold of really cheap tickets on internet.

Loved the way Virgin allows on train upgrading to 1st class for 15 pounds. espesh when ticket to london from liverpool only cost 8.

Gregg's cheese n onion pasties and steak bakes andWarburtons oversize bread :)

Danish pastries bought in Denmark are the best I've ever eaten.

Eurostar is great, why would anyone bother trekking out to a distant London airport.

British cathedrals are wondrous. Espesh York Minster and Liverpool Cathedral

It is well worth forking out for a stop over in Singapore if you can. It breaks up the journey and as Singapore is only 2 1/2 hours behind Adelaide helps readjust to time diff and weather. We only stayed 1 night but due to the manchester departure adelaide destination we had 2 full days.

I recommend the Naumi hotel in Singapore. It is a 5 star boutique hotel with great staff and rooms with coffee machine, microwave, hotplate, fridge with free cans soft drink. Large luxury bath and shower. King size bed. Free movies. Free PS / Xbox. Check it out www.naumi.com The hotel is onlt 10 floors high and has a wonderful view of the city from the rooftop infinity pool and deck, the pool is only 1.3 m deep and not very wide but long enuff to do a few laps. The hotel is right next to the raffles hotel and a 10 min walk to the metro and shopping malls. We got an upgrade to a 2 bed suite which would be fine if you had 1 or 2 small children.

Well if you decide to stay in UK I think there is lots of scope if you are already settled with good schools nice house, jobs etc. For those with itchy feet, who end up leaving the Uk, it's a great place to go back and visit.

Teenagers will always buy more clothes even though they bought heaps with them.

Baggage allowance now is apparently 30kgs and we were stressing due to above comment. Our baggage weighed 94kg(not including cabin bags) for 4 people.

Oh well back to work soon, arrived back yesterday, youngest went to school today.

Glad to have you back Rachael. Just read all that and I don't miss any of it. :biglaugh:

Seems you had a great time. I dunno about cheap fares on the railways. Overpriced from what I remember and it ook me most a day to travel what it took me an hour and a half by car.:wacko:

Happy days:skeptical::biglaugh:

Pete

I just like travelling by train, it's relaxing and you see the scenery as opposed to the motorway infront of you and the banks to the side. Yep train tickets are cheap when you get them in advance for long journeys, otherwise they are expensive I agree. It cost me only 18 pounds return to york and 9 pounds return to Manchester.

Oh and the @ button on UK comps is in a weird place!

Guest Martin and Val

Oh and the @ button on UK comps is in a weird place!

Glad you had a nice time, I don't miss it either.

Talking about the @ button, I bought Val a new Aussie keyboard for Christmas just gone. And although the @ key is in a different place it still works like a UK one!

The @ symbol is on the number 2 key on Val's new keyboard but when I press it I get " instead and if I press the " key which is now located next to the enter key I get an @ symbol.:arghh:

I hope you followed this. Scratch your head I did, it's like the keyboard knows we're English and is trying to help!!

Martin

. :)

M&S food :) especially choc eclairs.

OOooh i can't wait for the shops here to start selling ready made sandwiches and wraps! I was in the CBD branch of Coles the other day (Sunday) and really fancied a cream filled choc eclair - but nothing! absolutely NO CREAM CAKES available at all. Shocking! (Woolworths in Tea Tree Plaza does sell them though, as does the little German Bakery nearby that!)

Good post and welcome back!

Guest Lulujim

Glad you had a good time - did your daughters think the UK was better than Oz? I am convinced that we are emigrating to Oz and as soon as the girls are teenagers they'll want to come back here! :arghh:

Dammit Rach, I'm all homesick again now! Oh, Greggs pasties, my mouth is watering just thinking about them! Did you go to a Wetherspoons for curry and a pint night? My mum used to babysit every Thursday just so we could go out for that! I'd tell you that it cost four pounds ninety five pence but our keyboard has been converted to an Aussie one and doesn't have a pound symbol anymore!:biglaugh:

arrhh great post racheal i loved it brought back so many memories:notworthy::notworthy:

am staving reading all them lovely foods hehe, tell what else i miss scotch eggs?

glad you had a lovely time in my hometown:D i could do with some snow from over there in our house at the moment the aircons knacked but am glad am here:jiggy:

sue xxx