Help- info needed! A bit stuck!

Guest The Pottertons

Guest The Pottertons

Hi All, I hope someone can point me in the right direction! Ive been searching the internet for Adult Education information and havent found a lot to be honest! Is Adult Education a big thing in Adelaide? Im unable to do the job i currently do in the U.K in Oz and therefore am desperate to have some plan in place as to what im going to do. Feel as though the dream of pottering around the beach and being a happy housewife on a full time basis is a bit naive for me and know ill be fed up within weeks!!!!!Although right now it sounds like heaven! We need to give ourselves the best chance of this working, hence the planning!!!!!!!!!! So if anyone is doing an adult education course or knows anything please impart your info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you all!! Yvonne xx :confused::notworthy:

My husband used to teach Adult Ed classes several nights a week in the UK and is really disappointed with the lack of anything similar here. He teaches guitar and his particular courses were always really busy over there, but here he has had to push himself onto the local Neighbourhood Centre at Woodcroft to get a couple of evening courses up and running.

You can do some short courses through TAFE but there is not the vast variety of courses, and some courses are only available in one TAFE in the metro area. WEA run courses but again there are not that many places that do them.

We think it's such a shame that schools, colleges and the local community centres are so under utilised during the evenings, and just wish someone would shake up the local councils, and the Dept of Ed and get some statewide structure in place like they have in the UK, to run a properly organised and accredited Adult Ed programme.

Guest Jo&Phil

Django has already suggested TAFE SA website - both formal and informal courses (see the Short Course guide for the interest based stuff)

There is also the WEA (workers education association or similar) ... not sure of the website but they do interest based courses which might suit you. Ig you 'google' WEA Adelaide I'm sure you'll find it

Jo :-)

Apart from tafe and open learning thats it really. You have to be quick with some Tafe courses too they are highly competative. Im trying to get onto a creative writing course and im on a waiting list now,the diploma which i really want to do has limited places so going to have to work my socks off to get on it in january.So in meant time i will be doing an 8 week evening course (again if i get on it)

Some courses are rolling ones starting each new semester others only start January and usually application for those have to be in by october. Hope this helps x

Guest anniewo

Hi, have you checked the local Messenger papers? Hamilton, Torrensville high school all run adult education courses.These are the ones I know of in my area but there will probably be others.

Guest The Pottertons

Thank you to everyone for your fab info. Have started looking at the web sites mentioned and am already looking into my career change! Great to know about the waiting lists at Tafe too. Brilliant info, thankyou, thankyou , thankyou!!!!!!! xxxx Yvonne