my first drive in an automatic!!!!

Guest happy feet

Guest happy feet

Got off the bus near Glenelg, brighton rd to find Auzzie car rentals...didn't realise we would have to walk 5000 miles (ok maybe not that far) to get to the other end of the road, could have stayed on bus:err:

Anyway we did eventually find it and got myself a rental...Automatic, never driven one before, and you will all be glad that you weren't on brighton rd when i left the place, talk about jump about:embarrassed: we all got whiplash from my great breaking!!!! Did manage to get better and got as far as Hallet Cove. Went to about 20 different rental agents, god there's not much out there:sad:. Gonna venture further south to-morrow, but don't really want to go to far down as job in city...Also need to find a car to buy if any one could recomend a good car dealers...

Give the roads another miss tom, just incase the Kangaroo appears again..

Cara

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Were you trying to brake with your left foot????:biglaugh:

Cara, have pm'd you with the agent I told you about. Good luck tomorrow.

Pete

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Why do you do kangaroo braking??? Its no different that using the brake in a manual car????

You use your right foot just the same. i can see how you would kangaroo brake if you were using your left foot....now I am confused are you supposed to use your left foot to brake when driving auto, maybe I am doing something wrong:wacko:

Guest Martin and Val
Why do you do kangaroo braking??? Its no different that using the brake in a manual car????

You use your right foot just the same. i can see how you would kangaroo brake if you were using your left foot....now I am confused are you supposed to use your left foot to brake when driving auto, maybe I am doing something wrong:wacko:

If your used to driving a Manuel car I think it is a natural reaction to dip the clutch that has been stolen therefore you hit the brake pedal hard with the left foot!

Happy driving happy feet and welcome to Adelaide, hope all is going well for you.

Martin

The thing I've found it hardest to get used to is the indicator on the right hand side. Even now I occasionally wipe the windscreen when approaching a junction. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

when my brother was teaching me to drive (aussie style in an automatic of course)he said the rule is to ONLY use your right foot. The left stays on the little resty thing they deem necessary in an auto. This way your foot is only ever on the brake or the accelerator. Later on when i had mastered the roads he taught me to drive a manual. I've driven automatics ever since.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
If your used to driving a Manuel car I think it is a natural reaction to dip the clutch that has been stolen therefore you hit the brake pedal hard with the left foot!

Happy driving happy feet and welcome to Adelaide, hope all is going well for you.

Martin

i never found I did that, I drive both now and have no probs!:biglaugh:I used to think auto is boring but now I can put my makeup on and everything while I drive and drink a farmers union!

Guest dunnarunna

glad to see you`ve got mobile now cara and are getting around, i love driving autos now, hubby still doesnt like it though. lots of car dealers along the south road.

donna

Guest happy feet
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Were you trying to brake with your left foot????:biglaugh:

Cara, have pm'd you with the agent I told you about. Good luck tomorrow.

Pete

yes pete, very funny....... my right foot is meant to be for the brake, we shall see how i get on to-day..:arghh:

i never found I did that, I drive both now and have no probs!:biglaugh:I used to think auto is boring but now I can put my makeup on and everything while I drive and drink a farmers union!

:biglaugh::biglaugh: I swore I'd never drive an automatic, I was quite happy pootling around in my little manual Festiva! But then we got the dog and it was logical for Richie to swap cars with me so now he has the Festiva and I've got that ruddy great tank of a Holden! Now that I'm used to it, I actually prefer it - at least I can't stall the Holden! I took the Festiva out last Sunday down to the shops and I'd actually forgotten how to drive it, kept trying to change gears without using the clutch!!

Guest Martin and Val
The first time that I had to drive an automatic was when I picked up a hire car at Sanford airport in Florida

Sorry off the topic I know but we remember Sanford Airport in Florida very well. A few years ago we were stranded there due to terrorist attacks and mechanical faults, no baggage or change of cloths for 3 days! And when we finally left the plane didn't have enough fuel and we had to stop in Nova Scotia for a top up. Put us off Florida for life!

Martin

PS. Howard, Maria, Jamie & Sam, (The Flinns)

Sorry we cant recall congratulating you on your Visa, so if we didn't, Congratulations and we really hope all the rest of your plans and new life work out just how you want them to.

Good luck and see you for a drink some day soon.

Guest panther
Just to let you all know the kangaroo has left the road..... Did much better to-day, well except for parking, think i could get use to the automatic...

cara

we all breath a sigh of relief the kangaroo has left the suburbs, neatly parked and tucked away until tomorrow look out unsuspecting adelaide

Panther

Guest happy feet

Just a quick update..

Bought my first car....A Vauxhall Golf, i know it european but it is automatic...think i could def get used to the auto..Still can't reverse though!!!!!