Don't Foget Your Ambulance Cover

foxychick

Having just read the thread of the Bakers, who are having tons of bad luck, thought I would just remind new arrivals that ambulance cover is a really good idea.

You can get cover from various places, and if you have private medical insurance, it should be included with that, for stand alone cover, we have it from the Post office and it was about $150 for a family. Just gives peace of mind as an ambulance trip can cost from about $700 (I think) over $1000, and if you were really unlucky and needed an air transport or something, I would imagine it would be even more.

not one of the first things you think about, or even know about when you arrive, but a fair few people get caught out with a big bill.

It also covers you for the whole of Australia not just SA

I have been thinking about about ambulance cover. How often do you need one? So long as you have $1,000 or so in the bank then you don't really need it.

I would say it was better to start off with a $1,000 in a bank and open a savings account and put your $150 a year into this. In 6 years time you will have enough in there to cover yourself and unless you have called one in that time you will still have your original $1,000 plus interest.

If you haven't got that initial $1,000 then put $40 a fortnight into the account and you will have it by the end of the year. I think this is far better as you have the cover and if you don't need an ambulance you still have your hard earned cash in your bank rather than an insurance company's.

Pete

Pete

That is one way of looking at it, like any insurance, car, house etc. For me it was about assesing the risk, I felt it was worth the money as we have kids who take part in dangerous sports. Also if you have children at school and have signed the consent form - they can just call an ambulance for your child if they think it is necessary - somthing you have no control over, and you will be billed.

Personally I just like the peace of mind, and lots of people moan when they have to pay $100's for an ambulance, so thought it was worth pointing out for those who may not be aware.

Guest graandjac
Having just read the thread of the Bakers, who are having tons of bad luck, thought I would just remind new arrivals that ambulance cover is a really good idea.

You can get cover from various places, and if you have private medical insurance, it should be included with that, for stand alone cover, we have it from the Post office and it was about $150 for a family. Just gives peace of mind as an ambulance trip can cost from about $700 (I think) over $1000, and if you were really unlucky and needed an air transport or something, I would imagine it would be even more.

not one of the first things you think about, or even know about when you arrive, but a fair few people get caught out with a big bill.

It also covers you for the whole of Australia not just SA

Dont pay that much you can get it from Medicare for about $80.00 , family of 4 for the year , well it was 8 months ago

Guest the thornes

My dad was over here on holiday and needed an ambulance and he has just got the bill which was $1900! He has travel insurance so they will cover it but I think it is def worth the $100 or so a year.

I didn't know Medicare did ambulance cover, and there's nothing on their website that I can find with reference to it. Can someone post a link?

Never had cover in 18 years here, not needed it either.

Do they mean Medibank????

Just got this paragraph from the Medicare website:

What is not covered?

Ambulance

Medicare does not cover the cost of emergency or other ambulance services. In Queensland and Tasmania, this service is provided free by the state government. NSW and ACT provide free ambulance cover for pensioners and low income earners.

In other states, you can arrange ambulance cover yourself from the ambulance authority in your state. Alternatively, you can arrange cover with your health insurer as part of your Hospital or General Treatment cover.

Note that ambulance cover can vary - some insurers provide cover for all ambulance travel, while others only provide for ground travel or other limited arrangements, such as in your state of residence only. Check the details with your insurer to ensure which type of ambulance cover best suits your needs.

We were stung...had only been here 2 months and had to all an ambulance for my son...cost was $700.

Never had to call an ambulance before...ever...

We now have cover through mutual community......$43.20 a year...which includes the 30% gov rebate...which i can only assume we get as we have also got medical extras insurance.

My daughter, as she is 18 and working full-time, has to have her own cover...$21.60 for the year.....again hers includes the 30% rebate as she also as extras insurance.

Guest graandjac
Do they mean Medibank????

Just got this paragraph from the Medicare website:

What is not covered?

Ambulance

Medicare does not cover the cost of emergency or other ambulance services. In Queensland and Tasmania, this service is provided free by the state government. NSW and ACT provide free ambulance cover for pensioners and low income earners.

In other states, you can arrange ambulance cover yourself from the ambulance authority in your state. Alternatively, you can arrange cover with your health insurer as part of your Hospital or General Treatment cover.

Note that ambulance cover can vary - some insurers provide cover for all ambulance travel, while others only provide for ground travel or other limited arrangements, such as in your state of residence only. Check the details with your insurer to ensure which type of ambulance cover best suits your needs.

We were stung...had only been here 2 months and had to all an ambulance for my son...cost was $700.

Never had to call an ambulance before...ever...

We now have cover through mutual community......$43.20 a year...which includes the 30% gov rebate...which i can only assume we get as we have also got medical extras insurance.

My daughter, as she is 18 and working full-time, has to have her own cover...$21.60 for the year.....again hers includes the 30% rebate as she also as extras insurance.

Your dead right Medibank....:wacko:, you can get the paperwork in any medicare/family assistance office, well worth it