best areas to live?

Guest helen mcgarvey

Guest helen mcgarvey

Hi, my family are moving to adelaide from suffolk. Can anybody recommend any nice areas to live. The kids will be 4 and 2 when we eventually get there. We would love to live near the sea with good schools and shopping. Look forward to hearing any suggestions. Helen

Guest dglamoore

Hi Helen

We live in Port Noarlunga South and have a house literally opposite the beach (29 steps from door to sand), close to kindy and shops and love this area.

It is very hard to recommend suburbs as everyone likes different things and it is a good idea to drive around some and get a feel for areas when you arrive.

Hallett Cove, Seaford and the many southern suburbs will give you good access to the beach and shops etc :)

Have a good look on google earth - this will give you an idea of where suburbs are and how built up they are, distances etc. It is hard and I must admit we looked at suburbs we liked from UK then found they did not appeal so much when we got here and now live somewhere we had not even thought of!

Lisa:cool:

Guest The Bowmans

Hi Helen

Welcome to the site. Hope you find it as supportive and useful as us. We are going back to Adelaide next week for a proper reccie at the beach and hills suburbs (as well as work situation) but I am sure that when I get there I won't like the areas I have spent hours researching on realestate.com! and am convinced we, like Lisa, will end up somewhere we never thought about!

Good luck with everything.

Deena :)

ps Pete, don't get me started on TalkSport........

Guest Guest75
Hi, my family are moving to adelaide from suffolk. Can anybody recommend any nice areas to live. The kids will be 4 and 2 when we eventually get there. We would love to live near the sea with good schools and shopping. Look forward to hearing any suggestions. Helen

It seems as if there are more settling down here in the South.

Woodcroft,Aberfoyle Park,Happy Valley and Onkaparinga Hills (it's NOT Hackham!) are good areas to look at as well.

I t may well depend upon where you are going to work as well.

I had to drive from Onkaparinga Hills (it's NOT Hackham!) to Paradise last week.That's the other side of the city and it took me 1.5 hours due to traffic:confused:

This question gets asked time and time again -and there's nothing wrong with that; it's a fair question.

BUT it seems to me that if we answer from our own experience, we can only really offer advice on a relatively few areas. Then everyone thinks 'Yaay! That sounds fab, let's move down there!'. And that's how places become popular.

In the two years we've been here, which isn't very long, I find that there are many more areas that I might have considered moving to, had I looked around properly and not just concentrated on the ones I'd heard of.

So, what I'm trying to say, not very successfully, is that with all the best will in the world, I'd say come and look round with an open mind, and a set of criteria. Then ask.

Ok, bet I sound a right unhelpful cow, but I'm really not; I'm happy to help anyone.

:)LC

I would agree with the previous response. IMO,as with everywhere, its location, location, location, the nearer the city the more expensive (generally). Have a list of what you want to get out of a house and go and have a look. We live in the Eastern suburbs because of the schools and proximity to CBD for work and are prepared to travel to the sea, its what works for your lifestyle and of course, what you can afford!!!!!

Hi Helen,

Welcome to the site. I've just read the previous posts and I'd have to agree theres not just one "good" area here, every suburb has its pros and cons.

There seems to be more poms heading south, so maybe there is something in that but each to your own....just come with an open mind.

;)

Judi

Guest Russfamily

Wise words from lazycow, most of the people here seem 2 b heading south Seacliff, Brighton. Having not been to Adelaide for 6 years i might b a little behind the times but i do know that any beach front property will cost upwards of a million bucks now and thats a starting price. One street back from the sea the price drops dramatically. house Prices r on the up, people from interstate r buying in Adelaide pushing the prices up because adelaide is the or one of the cheapest places in Australia for property, the big money boys r looking for the next boom town which may b Adelaide. The likes of u and me r also fueling the situation ok for me as i have already bought, i think u only have to remember one thing when buying make sure the property u buy will have a wow factor that u and most other people would fall in love with. We have bought in Largs bay theres a family beach opposite our house and the city cbd is 12k away cant wait to arrive in October.

Guest dglamoore

Good words from Lazy Cow - as I said earlier we now live in a suburb rarely mentionned when we were in the UK (if ever!) as one to live in and we love it here;)

Guest dglamoore
i do know that any beach front property will cost upwards of a million bucks now and thats a starting price. One street back from the sea the price drops dramatically.

Price does drop a few streets back but there are plenty for less than 1mill beachfront :rolleyes: You do pay a premium but not that much of one. We live beachfront and there are some nice houses along here going for $5-600,000, 5 bed 2 storey couple of doors away so not small either :D

Was in the paper today that people in WA are now snapping up properties in SA for investment so prices are at a high at the mo apparently but lots of nice houses around at good prices :P

Guest helen mcgarvey

Thanks for all the replies. One of the reasons I asked this question is because I want to make sure that we can really afford to do this move. When we first started talking about selling up and moving I think we were under the impression that the cost of living in Australia was a lot less than in England. The more information that I am gathering tells me that we may not be as financially better off as we had first hoped.

I think we were under the impression that the cost of living in Australia was a lot less than in England. The more information that I am gathering tells me that we may not be as financially better off as we had first hoped.

Hi Helen,

I think those days have gone. House prices have risen quite steeply in the last decade. I don't think our house is much bigger than the one we had , although the space is differently distributed and we do have a pool!:D

We still have a mortgage, and the same financial concerns -ie. how have we spent so much money this month?! That said, it was never just about the money. We like our lives here. The kids enjoy school, OH is home more and less stressed, and I'm having a good time too. (Not going to elaborate on that one!)

I think your impression is a popular one. Life here is just life, and whilst I know there are people who are lucky enough to come over dollar-rich, I think they are in the minority. Most of the people I know have come out with enough to start life up again and now live as we do - getting by, and enjoying life!

:cool:LC

i will b working in the community all around the met so im not sure of where to look for property,

it wil b me myself n I , heading out for a new life leaving everything here in Donny not much to loose there lol.

my 16yr old son wants to stay ere with his dad:( so what do you do? this is what ive wanted since i was 16 so now im going for it ALONE if thats what it takes,

but very nervous of where to live n not knowing anyone its a bit SCARY MARY:eek:

SO any help of good areas i think i will av to rent first then hope to get a mortgage asap

xXx Ice:D

Guest dunnarunna

hi helen

we are also from suffolk going to sa, because im used to living rural i would like similar, not so interested in living near coast, you can get an idea of where you like from others, but we are all different, & whats good for one may not be good for another, but you can use these recommendations & put them into google earth & wikapedia & real estate to see what you may like, from doing this ive seen that we like look of mount barker & strathalbyn but originally we where thinking mclaren vale looked good found from recommendations of seaford, etc, its so hard to really tell via internet, but gives you some idea & we will have a good look round when we arrive.

donna

Guest Vicks&Stu
hi helen

we are also from suffolk going to sa, because im used to living rural i would like similar, not so interested in living near coast, you can get an idea of where you like from others, but we are all different, & whats good for one may not be good for another, but you can use these recommendations & put them into google earth & wikapedia & real estate to see what you may like, from doing this ive seen that we like look of mount barker & strathalbyn but originally we where thinking mclaren vale looked good found from recommendations of seaford, etc, its so hard to really tell via internet, but gives you some idea & we will have a good look round when we arrive.

donna

We are in Norwich- where are you?

Vicks & Stu

Guest ralph n bev

We originally liked the look /sound of Mount Barker, a self contained little town with all you need there. Then we looked and resurched a bit more, as you do , asked a few questions, got a few replys and a lot of p.m's and now ,( although we will still look for our selves on the reccie) it might not be the place for us.

We would rather have the hills to the beach , but dont want to be too far out in the sticks for Ralphs trade.

So now we are thinking more eastern Adelaide!!

The fact that we are wanting a solid brick built property in an established area on a decent sized plot means that we have discounted a new build , unless we can buy a plot and Ralph build it!

But who knows where we will end up!!

An open mind, without the rose tinted specs ,will be needed when we do the reccie, and hopefully , when we are on the aeroplane back home to see the kids , we will know where we are going to end up when we finally migrate!!

Hopefully!!;)

Bev

Guest sarah

;)We chose the north eastern subs, this is our rental by the way, due to work comitments in walkerville. From here i would ageree that adelaide is the 23 minute city! We are 10 minutes from seeing koalas sleeping in gum trees its amazing...Right now we are heavily into the house buying chase, its crazy fast at the moment, we see "the one" 2 days later its gone! baH HUMBUGS! We have looked at most areas, Hills are beaut, then the bush fires? certainly happen round here. The coast, $$$$ & windy in winter?

Resigned to looking for land about hte NE & hopefully make a buk or 20k?:D

Guest Russfamily

watching your new build being built is one thing but actually doing the work yourself is another, i think only registered builders can do this. you will have to sit yet more exams and suit there criteria

Guest dunnarunna
We are in Norwich- where are you?

Vicks & Stu

we are near bury st edmunds, we went to norwich for our meds, fantastic doctor there so stress free & one of the cheapest in country.

donna

and gosh lazy cow, helpful & good advice all in the same post did i really read this!36_11_6.gif

So this is where you're hanging around now...missed you on PiO...:P.

Anyway Monkey Mamma, I am helpful, wise,er..no, can't think of any more lies!

My poster for you is almost complete now...(oh yeah, it's not just Mrs T. I'm alerting the authorities to. Evil laugh, :P etc!)

LC

Guest dunnarunna

yes i am too..ing & fro..ing between the two, but as i have decided to grace sa with my presence (ooh lucky them!) i thought i might find out a little more using the site spe.. speficic...specificly for adelaide. oh and i like the colour better!

donna

p.s if any of you see any of these wanted posters featuring my lovely monkey chops & a tin lady ignore them the true culprit is a lazy1_4_39v.gif with large udders!!!

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxpt310YYGB