Our wee story ...

Guest Carkyde

Guest Carkyde

Hi just thought I would do a little update and say thanks to everyone for their help and advice on this site. You have been invaluable.

After a rollercoaster 2 week tour of the UK doing goodbyes we were more than ready to leave!!! On the day we were leaving there were weather warnings for Heathrow so we managed to phone Immigration and saw we may possibly be delayed, they were quite laid back about it, even though we only had one days grace to validate visa!!!!

Had no problems leaving UK, flights with BA were fab, flight was full and my TV didn’t work but they we very helpful and said that 1st class was full or they would have upgraded me, gave me a complaint form and said I may get some money back but not holding my breath.

Arrived in Singapore airport and had 3 hours in transit, had a shower in the rainforest spa about £8 for the 2 of us and had some laksa soup and 2 bottles of water costing £5!!! Cheap as chips and tasty. Highly recommend a shower and change of clothes.

At Adelaide immigration was smooth but disappointed not to have a brass band welcome, although we did a little celebratory whoop between ourselves and welcomed ourselves home!!!!! Stayed at a hostel in Glenelg, basic but clean and very central. Surprised at how un-backpacky Glenelg is and thought it was a gorgeous place. Went into the CBD by tram, the conductor was so helpful and advised us on the cheapest tickets. Loved the feel of the CBD and how easy it was to get around. Managed to sort out banking and got some really good advise.

Some may know I was offered a post in Melbourne and have taken it but now we have been to Adelaide for a few days we will definitely consider Adelaide if things don’t work out in Melbourne. On our last day Jetstar cancelled our flight to Melbourne and put us up in the Stamford Plaza a 5* hotel in the CBD and gave us an evening meal voucher – result as we got an extra day in Adelaide and in luxury. Although it was nice I do prefer less posher hotels as you seem to meet more real and grounded people.

Managed to get to Melbourne and in one week we have managed to get a rental, move in, sort out Tax File Numbers, register with Medicare, register with Centrelink, see a GP, get referred to maternity hospital, have a 22 week scan to see bubs is doing ok!!

Life just seems to be so much easier and the pace of life is fab all over Oz. Last night we went on a picnic with our neighbours to the beach so we could get to know them. I lived in Devon for a year and never knew any of my neighbours!!!!!!

Overall life in Melbourne seems good so far but we did like Adelaide and loved the feel of the city and the surrounding areas.

C n C

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hi just wondering where in glenelg you stayed?

you said it was a hostel, did u have a private room??

we are looking for a cheap short term let for when we first arrive.

Good luck xxx