We got jobs!!!

Guest caoimhe

Guest caoimhe

Well as the title says....we got jobs. I am working for a picture framing company part time casual and Stephen just started today in a full time permanent position. The relief I feel is great even though the money he is earning is awful. He has gone back about 5 years from what he was on at home and our dream of owning our own house here looks highly unlikely but at least I know we can eat for a while:biglaugh:

Advice to anyone coming on a temp visa...do your research where wages are concerned as we are really going to struggle for a few years. In the UK we got family allowance and tax credits, here we get nothing. The good bit is I can take my kids out for the day anytime and spend only the petrol needed.

I already posted on FB but just wanted to say a big congratulations to Stephen for getting a job at last, I know it was a big worry for you. I used to work for the Jobcentre in the UK (and I don't want to hear a SINGLE word about that....) and like I always used to tell my "customers", it's far easier to find a better job when you're already working. Hopefully this will be just a stepping stone for Stephen. Congrats to you both, crack open the sparling I say!

Fantastic news Jack.:D

As Liz says now Stephen is 'out there' opportunities will come his way. If not you could always get yourself a second job and he can take the kids down the beach.:P:biglaugh:

Seriously well done the pair of you.:notworthy:

Pete

Guest caoimhe

If not you could always get yourself a second job and he can take the kids down the beach.

Pete

Stephen says he'll meet you at the beach for those 'life guard' jobs....apparently you can take the kids :jiggy:but only as shark bait:idea::biglaugh:

Guest Martin and Val

Jacqueline & Stephen,

Congratulation on the jobs, hope all works out for you both. It may not be exactly what you want but it's a start, well done and good luck to you and the family.

Martin (and Val)

Guest rockpool crab

well done..so chuffed for you both. What a relief right enough to both be working now. I'm sure the wages will increase eventually, I guess it's all about proving yourself initially..so happy days ahead no doubt!

TTFN..Carol Ann

Guest caoimhe
Jacqueline & Stephen,

Congratulation on the jobs, hope all works out for you both. It may not be exactly what you want but it's a start, well done and good luck to you and the family.

Martin (and Val)

Thank you Martin, it's lovely how people we have not met wish us all good luck here... I think it's because we all know how hard it can be to start out again....oh I'm getting sentimental it must the the celebration wine:jiggy:

BTW If Val is looking any accounts staff I am qualified IATI (Institute of Accouting Technicans of Ireland) ;)

Really hope you get something soon too. I honestly think it's who you know here.... we should start a thread on who does what job and pass that on to those we know..maybe we can get our own job agency going on site:biglaugh:

Guest Martin and Val

I honestly think it's who you know here.... we should start a thread on who does what job and pass that on to those we know..maybe we can get our own job agency going on site:biglaugh:

So come on who do you know??????:biglaugh:

Good idea on the agency thing it may catch on!

Will have to meet up at some stage for a drink in the meantime, good luck for when you start your new jobs.

Guest caoimhe
So come on who do you know??????:biglaugh:

My job is with a friend of my Aunt and our landlord (who is a friend of my Uncle) put Stephen in touch with the guy he now works for:v_SPIN:

Seems to be the way of things here;)

Guest Martin and Val
My job is with a friend of my Aunt and our landlord (who is a friend of my Uncle) put Stephen in touch with the guy he now works for:v_SPIN:

Seems to be the way of things here

Can you introduce me to him/her please?;):biglaugh:

Guest lastboyscout

Well done Jacqui and Stephen:jiggy:

Its hard work finding a job here at the moment, but like its been said before, it is better to be in a job and keep looking for that `something` better :v_SPIN:

Happy for you both :jiggy:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Congratulations :) :).

You say the money is awful but hell you got your foot in the door now and a refference for another future employer.

The feeling must be fantastic, very big congratulations to you both.

Well as the title says....we got jobs. I am working for a picture framing company part time casual and Stephen just started today in a full time permanent position. The relief I feel is great even though the money he is earning is awful. He has gone back about 5 years from what he was on at home and our dream of owning our own house here looks highly unlikely but at least I know we can eat for a while:biglaugh:

Advice to anyone coming on a temp visa...do your research where wages are concerned as we are really going to struggle for a few years. In the UK we got family allowance and tax credits, here we get nothing. The good bit is I can take my kids out for the day anytime and spend only the petrol needed.

Excellent, good for you.

but doesn't someone with a temp visa have to have a job before they go or am I thinking of a different visa?

Guest Fancy a Beer

Oh well done you two, told you to hang in there it would all come good in the end!! All Stephen needs to do is a few cash jobs on the side to help make ends meet!! :idea:

I have always thought here it is easier to get a job once you have an Adelaide job on your CV, so this is just the start, sure it wont be long before your dream is back on line!!