Is life more laid back and relaxed in SA?

Some&Fin

Hello eveyone

I've not been on here for a while now but I've finally handed my notice in at work and booked our flights. We arrive on 5 April :jiggy:. I'm on a spouse visa.

I work in London and have lived in London for most of my life. People keep telling me how laid back it is in Australia and how relaxed everyone is. Is that really the case, do you all feel much more relaxed since making the move? Where do people get that idea from? Do you think its from the TV shows like "Wanted Down Under"?

Sorry if this post repeats any previous posts.

Lisa

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Lisa.

I think it depends on what kind of lifestyle that you are used to living.

To me it's no different, ive always lived by the sea and always had a very relaxed out look on life.

Christies beach where im to seems a lot like Cornwall where im from, a great beach and a realy chilled out attiude to life.

If your coming from a city like london you might find a bit of a culture shock but you will soon setle into life here.

Matt

Christes Beach

Thanks Matt.

I have to add I hate London. I thinks its rough, dirty and full of rude twits in suits (in central London anyway). If I were to stay in the UK I would like to live in a house in the middle of nowhere. I've visited Adelaide a few times now and personally I love it but having read a few of the posts on here I am beginning to wonder if I have my rose tinted glasses on (I hope not).

Guest ReadyPenny

I agree with Pete, well almost. We are from just outside Manchester. I have not been to the city of London for 17 years now, so not sure how it is now. However, compared to Manchester Adelaide is NOT horizontal at all, it's unconcious!!!!!!! But it the nicest possible way, exactly the way we want it!!! Not been to work there though, just holidays, so not a real life picuture I suppose

Mandy

Been here nearly a year and just starting to adjust a few degree's.

Like 45,42,43 a few weeks ago ? :) (tease)

Sorry, couldn't resist it. :) THAT was an adjustment in terms of a few degrees, even for those of us (like me) who thought we'd seen everything in terms of 40c last year.

I love Adelaide, a lot more relaxed than what I was used to. Sydney feels really (too) busy for me, a bit like London. I like the way that here, you can still find entertainment, but that if you like it quieter, there are plenty of places to go.

It is definately more relaxed overall, I have worked in the centre of Adelaide in the City and in the City of London and there is no comparison. Sometimes I caught the train in, and it was nothing like Liverpool Street in the rush hour, it was so uncrowded and laid back. You may find you miss the buzz. When we moved back to England I really loved working in London (didn't like the commuting!) but I really enjoyed walking across London Bridge at night, with the city all lit up, St Pauls, Tower Bridge, it's very spectacular really and you don't appreciate it until it's gone. Saying that, now I am older and have a family there is no way I would want to go back to working in London.

In Adelaide you have a choice, you can go as fast or as slow as you want, whereas some places in the UK it's difficult to escape the rat race. I know people who live in Adelaide who have very stressful jobs, running their own businesses, working all hours of the day, rushing around taking the kids to activities, juggling shifts etc and I certainly don't envy their lives.

What I'm trying to say is that life is more laid back in Adelaide. Just by moving there, it won't necessarily make your life more laid back. And even if you do achieve a laid back lifestyle, you might find you don't particularly like it !! :biglaugh: