my boys homesick

sue2oz

am thinking the homesickness is starting to kick in now:( we was walking home from school monday and my sam who is 8 just came and with it and said ' i want to back home, i would walk right into that lampost and hurt my head if i could just go back home' this was a complete shock as he hasent said anything like that b4, i thought he was loving it i felt a totally bad mum for not picking up on it, and everytime i think of what he said i get really upset and to be truthful am feeling rather homesick myself, and i have had afew bad days these last few weeks crying at the drop of a hat, missing folks back home.

we have been here 4 months 2mrw and maybe the reality has kicked in, dont get me wrong i do love it its just that sam is struggling and am finding it hard to be strong meself some days.

Is this the norm after 3-4 months was you or any of your children like this?:unsure:

thanks for listening

sue xxx

Guest cunnah10
am thinking the homesickness is starting to kick in now:( we was walking home from school monday and my sam who is 8 just came and with it and said ' i want to back home, i would walk right into that lampost and hurt my head if i could just go back home' this was a complete shock as he hasent said anything like that b4, i thought he was loving it i felt a totally bad mum for not picking up on it, and everytime i think of what he said i get really upset and to be truthful am feeling rather homesick myself, and i have had afew bad days these last few weeks crying at the drop of a hat, missing folks back home.

we have been here 4 months 2mrw and maybe the reality has kicked in, dont get me wrong i do love it its just that sam is struggling and am finding it hard to be strong meself some days.

Is this the norm after 3-4 months was you or any of your children like this?:unsure:

thanks for listening

sue xxx

Hi Hun....i can't even give you any support on this one....you know that i am going back home soon!

Really feel for you....know exactly how your feeling!

it is not easy....especially when your kids aren't happy.....after all that is why we came here!

But it looks like it is just Sam that is struggling?

Dave and your other 3 boys are happy enough aren't they?

it is so hard when you have such a big family and you want them all to be happy and 1 or 2 are unhappy....as you just want to do anything & everything to put it right!

Come on chin up.....were's the happy go lucky Sue that i know!

thinking of you!

Gill xxxxxxx

It may be that he just had a bad day at school that day and remembers all the good stuff about his old friends and school back in the UK. Kids are funny, next week he'll probably be loving it again. And for you, you will feel homesick, it is hard not to be able to kick back and relax with people who maybe you've known your whole life, where you don't have to think hard about everything you do and understand all the local stuff. Hopefully the good days will far outweigh the down days. A walk on the beach is usually good for blowing the cobwebs away.

My daughter was 9 when we moved here - 14 now. My parents have just gone home after a visit and my daughter wrote them a poem which I read (with her permission, obviously). After nearly five years, she said in this poem, she finally calls this place "home" - so it's taken that long for her.

Practically, she has accepted for a long while that she has a lot of opportunities here that she wouldn't have had in the UK, but emotions are different to practicalities and there'll always be good days and bad, wherever you are. It is good that you son felt confident enough to share his feelings with you, all you can do I guess is let him talk about things, and keep the lines of communication open.

D

thanks gurls for replying its so hard to put in words what you want to type but least you know were am coming from!

rach will take a walk on the beach 2mrw as have got to get this house sic and span for inspection 2rw:wideeyed:

must admit a walk on the beach does it for me.

thanks gill your'e guddun thanks dianne and nikki too.

will see how he comes out later hope its a good day for him

sue xxx

Guest maxxangel

Hi Sue, sorry to hear you and your boy are struggling, but I would say that yes it is pretty normal to be feeling this way at this time. My worst period started about 3 or 4 months in. My daughter (7) says off and on that she wants to go back to the UK, but it has changed to wanting to visit rather than permanently move back now. I have to remind my daughter that we do have more fun here and the school is so much nicer here and then she just says she wants to visit England, but not stay. She really wanted to see the snow they had this year (I did too to be honest).

Do the things that make you happy as often as you can to remind you why you wanted to come here. Sometimes it's only temporary relief, but it reminds you that you couldn't be doing some of these things back in the UK.

I know a chap who's been here 12 years now and he still gets homesick and really misses his family. His wife is local, so he stays for her. He even yearns for the awful weather we got in England though, poor chap!

Guest graandjac

;)Dont worry about it its 100% normal , its just taken our Holly (11) , 10 months to say "i would love to visit the uk but not to live anymore", so dont worry about it too much it will pass.