Display Homes

julie-ruth

We have just spent our bank holiday Monday going over to Mawson Lakes Display homes village, it was amazing walking through the houses I thought wow wow wow but wondered when we inquired how easy is the process of land packages they made it seem so easy sign they will find a plot of land and you can have any size house you want to put on it or find a plot of land and they will put a house on that for you, being English I know trying to do anything in England is so hard with building regulations etc is it really as easy as it's made out, what is involved in the whole process has anyone been through the process whats the pro's and con's? Also how difficult is it to put extentions on houses.

Julie

Guest KP Nuts

Snap Julie, we spent the day at Seaford looking at their display homes.... I will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest.

So did you see any you liked, and if so, who were the companies?

Have any of you wonderful people out there, built your own? Can you please give me an idea of the hidden extra's, :notworthy:

Thanks in advance

We are currently in the midle of doing house and land package at Hallet Cove. The display houses are NOT the standard fittings etc you get when you build. They are almost usually the top spec which if you go for, will add a huge amount to the actual cost of the house. We signed in October to be told we would be ready to start building by now. The land has now just been approved and released by the council, so it will be another few months at least before they even begin to lay the slab. All in all it does take a long time, with the odd few hidden extras depending on the spec of house you go for. But if your PR, then at the moment you are getting your first home owners grant of $25000 to help. If not PR, but soon to be, you can claim this grant from 1 year from the date of final completion.

Shaun

Guest nishman

After just moving in at the weekend to our new build, I'd advise to do your homework on everything up front. Different builders offer different things in their "package". For instance, our builder just builds the house. No stormwater, paving, driveway or anything - we asked them for AC, carpets etc and they said they'd be too expensive and to organise it ourselves (which we did). Others do these as a matter of course.

Be very sure of the timeframe they're advising, and make sure the land is approved for development. Ours was due for settlement in Jun 2007, and was delayed until October. Build time is typically 6 months for a single storey FROM SLAB. The time taken to get to SLAB can be nearly as long!

Make note of the terrain and if possible get someone out to advise on any landscaping/retaining issues (we thought our block was fairly flat - we ended up with $20k of retaining!)

Check for drainage running through the land - you won't be able to build on top of a drain culvert, (and that incudes that pool you thought would sit nicely at the back there...)

Speak to your lender (assuming you need a mortgage :)), and try and get as much of the fitting out (AC, carpets etc) in with the mortgage. This may mean chasing for prices along with the build, but may well make cash flow easier at the sharp end of the development! Make sure you get the full story on how these extras need to be paid - with us because we had to arrange these ourselves not through the builder, we need to get the work done, paid for and then paid back by the bank! So make sure you're still going to be cash positive!

If you're requiring a 95% mortgage, a more established development may be better as newer developments don't have any property sales history from which to estimate the value of the finished build (so you won't be able o borrow as much - especially if you're adding extras).

When you're working out your figures, make sure you account for the rent you'll be paying. At the later stages when you're paying nearly a full mortgage and rent, money seems to haemorage out of the account... Our place took at least 6 months longer than it should have due to clerical problems at the start - 6months at $300/wk isn't pretty.

Final advice, keep an eye on the big picture. We nearly had a shoe-horned single storey on our plot, which with the amount of retaining we've had to do would have been a nightmare that would have left no outdoor space at all. For instance 900mm wide access (less 100mm for the wall) isn't a lot when you've got a clothes airer, water tank and bins to fit in... Don't be afraid to take a step back and review the proposed design.

We ended up changing our mind after looking at the plans over and over again, and went to a 2 storey. Best decision we ever made. It was (obviously) more expensive, and caused us more delays, but we've got something that we're happy with. It's been a stressful process for us, but now we're finally in it's starting to feel like it's been worth it! (still plenty of work to do before the rains come though!)

Great post Nishman, its a shame we can't log this in a "library" for others to read in the future. But I guess the search engine on here is a useful tool for that too!:idea:

Judi x

Guest KP Nuts
After just moving in at the weekend to our new build, I'd advise to do your homework on everything up front. Different builders offer different things in their "package". For instance, our builder just builds the house. No stormwater, paving, driveway or anything - we asked them for AC, carpets etc and they said they'd be too expensive and to organise it ourselves (which we did). Others do these as a matter of course.

Be very sure of the timeframe they're advising, and make sure the land is approved for development. Ours was due for settlement in Jun 2007, and was delayed until October. Build time is typically 6 months for a single storey FROM SLAB. The time taken to get to SLAB can be nearly as long!

Make note of the terrain and if possible get someone out to advise on any landscaping/retaining issues (we thought our block was fairly flat - we ended up with $20k of retaining!)

Check for drainage running through the land - you won't be able to build on top of a drain culvert, (and that incudes that pool you thought would sit nicely at the back there...)

Speak to your lender (assuming you need a mortgage :)), and try and get as much of the fitting out (AC, carpets etc) in with the mortgage. This may mean chasing for prices along with the build, but may well make cash flow easier at the sharp end of the development! Make sure you get the full story on how these extras need to be paid - with us because we had to arrange these ourselves not through the builder, we need to get the work done, paid for and then paid back by the bank! So make sure you're still going to be cash positive!

If you're requiring a 95% mortgage, a more established development may be better as newer developments don't have any property sales history from which to estimate the value of the finished build (so you won't be able o borrow as much - especially if you're adding extras).

When you're working out your figures, make sure you account for the rent you'll be paying. At the later stages when you're paying nearly a full mortgage and rent, money seems to haemorage out of the account... Our place took at least 6 months longer than it should have due to clerical problems at the start - 6months at $300/wk isn't pretty.

Final advice, keep an eye on the big picture. We nearly had a shoe-horned single storey on our plot, which with the amount of retaining we've had to do would have been a nightmare that would have left no outdoor space at all. For instance 900mm wide access (less 100mm for the wall) isn't a lot when you've got a clothes airer, water tank and bins to fit in... Don't be afraid to take a step back and review the proposed design.

We ended up changing our mind after looking at the plans over and over again, and went to a 2 storey. Best decision we ever made. It was (obviously) more expensive, and caused us more delays, but we've got something that we're happy with. It's been a stressful process for us, but now we're finally in it's starting to feel like it's been worth it! (still plenty of work to do before the rains come though!)

Jackie, is this you?????..........if so the house looks lovely..........

totally agree with nishman and this is the main reason we pulled out of ours early on. They look fab, but when you add on the extra costs for finishing and landscaping, aircon, etc etc, retaining walls etc you could be looking easily at another $50k on top. Plus paying mortgage as well as renting can be expensive, if you can afford it go for it, but felt we would struggle. Saying that the land we had at the point hasnt even settled yet and was supposed to do 6 months ago!!

Just to add, a while back i posted recommending new builds etc, and i still echo that sentiment but seriously don't do it if you have a tight budget. We've just been hit by an additional $36k for footings and soil removal. It isn't the end of the world but the pool will have to wait! Just have a contingency of $50k as ozzie clare points out

totally agree with nishman and this is the main reason we pulled out of ours early on. They look fab, but when you add on the extra costs for finishing and landscaping, aircon, etc etc, retaining walls etc you could be looking easily at another $50k on top. Plus paying mortgage as well as renting can be expensive, if you can afford it go for it, but felt we would struggle. Saying that the land we had at the point hasnt even settled yet and was supposed to do 6 months ago!!

Just to add, a while back i posted recommending new builds etc, and i still echo that sentiment but seriously don't do it if you have a tight budget. We've just been hit by an additional $36k for footings and soil removal. It isn't the end of the world but the pool will have to wait! Just have a contingency of $50k as ozzie clare points out

We had a mortgage broker round yesterday, he told us about ins and outs of it all etc etc, one thing he did say abiout building is that you DONT pay your mortgage and your rent while you build you just pay the interest as you cannot pay the full amount as the house is not completed yet.

he qouted us these figures

on a 285,000 mortgage for construction the payments would be $306 whilst construction is under way and then $404 in full mortgage repayments once the house is complete and ready to move in.

We didnt know this and found it very interesting indeed....

I hope this makes sense guys :confused:

The $25k first time home buyers construction grant would easilt cover the deposit too...so we cold go ahead if we wanted but we decided to hold back a lil until i have got a more permanent role at work.

Even though we could do it just on my mrs wage woohoo.

Guest kangomik

you pay different stamp duties, you only pay stamp on the land on a new build.

Easements are drains and access areas you cannot build on, look for these on the plans.

Flat land, anything with a remote slope is going to cost, anything with rock in it is gonna cost heaps..... and this is only footing level.

Once you found your house, and if you can get a plot of land to fit it on even remotely in the area you want ( guys down south will find it easier) then once you have paid all your extras to have it built and completed, add around another 45% to have the whole thing finished OUTSIDE how you want it. I always thought this last comment was pie in the sky..... drive round new build estate and spot the guys who didn't factor the paving in!!!!

The show homes are wonderfull, parafield gardens has around 20+ homes to look at. The pomme from Sterling wouldn't even sell to us....... come back in 6 months when your not so green. The best advise i have taken since landing i might add. Take a good look at the area your buying land in, and the industry in the surrounding area. add all the costs, you will struggle to find land under 200K for a small plot unless you want to travel.

Just my findings.

Hi there

We have just moved into newly built/completed house and I am so far really pleased with everything. Was it stressful, yes big time, was it worth it - yes definately, would I do it again - yes probably. We started the whole process in December 2007, slab was laid in August 2008 and we actually completed and were handed the keys 3 weeks ago. We have a house that we love, to our specification, on a decent size block of land. Before we started the whole process we discussed the pro's and cons of buying an established property or building and at the end of the day finances dictated and we built. We could not afforded to buy our house as an established property. All that said the last few months have been very tight paying both mortgage and rent but we have managed. The builder that we used had a pretty decent basic spec but we still upgraded a few things - kitchen cupboards doors, security locks to windows, mossie/security screens on doors. We opted for the builders to put in the aircon (it was heavily discounted when we signed or this would have been done post handover by our own contractors) they also laid all our flooring (carpet and tiles). My hubby is a great nurse but not so great at anything DIY related (sorry Andy) so this was a good option for us.

We were concerned by peoples experiences of building (horror stories) and paid (not a huge amount - would recommend this) an independant surveyor to keep and eye on the build and his report stated that everything was done to a high standard. The negative side of the experience would be the communication or lack of between ourselves and the builders - I have recounted to others that the communication was great until we signed on the dotted line and they had us locked into contract. All that said the finished result is great. Our fencing has gone up today and paving and pergola will be completed in the next few weeks. The extra finishing touches have cost us more than we budgeted - but not an astronomical amount!

We built on a block that we thought was relatively flat (as Nishman said) and during the process of the build have realised that there is about a metre difference between the front and back of the block, but we are lucky that we do not need any retaining walls, due to how the block was cut. Also the price of our footings was less than the builder actually budget for so our fixed price contract came in $10,000 less than our original quote but about $40k above the basic book price - not including the finishing touches I discussed previously. Have found some great contractors for paving, pergola's, fencing, painters/decorators, stormwater etc so if anyone needs any recommendations I would be happy to pass there contact details on. We used a mortage broker whom I have recommended on here previously - Andrew Thompson (Loan Arranger) and he was an absolute godsend and held our hand throughout the process and went out to bat for us when we were having our builder/client communication breakdown!

There are things that I would do differently if I built again, one of those things would be considering putting an alfresco under the main roof rather than building a pergola afterwards, but other than that very little.

Hope this helps, sorry if I've rambled!

Guest graandjac

Well we have brought our block of land....very easy to do this and yes you only then pay the stamp duty on the land price. The whole process has been good so far we have designed the house as our block is an odd shape and the house we wanted needed changing . A house price is based on the elements within that model ie ours is the Randwick by Homestead..........so it has the same size floor area but everything has been moved around at no extra cost because the elements remain the same (kitchen units, windows, amount of doors etc...)

The extra costs come in when you change or add things, for the ones who have NOT done there homework they will say they are hidden....!!!!!.

The footing costs are extra depending on your land type and size of house, this is because the soil types around the areas are all different but when the soil has been tested the footing cost is then fixed.

So our land was $162,000 inc all fees and taxes, the house price to date (some small additions to be done at final selections) $196,000,inc footings, still to pay for interior flooring , curtains and dressing.....external landscaping, and also you have to get your water tank installed and storm water( this is connecting to the down pipes going under ground to the road) something that is easy enough to do its just under ground guttering ....our estimated costs $50,000-$60,000.

So if its added up to $419,000, so thats a 250sqm house 4 bedrooms , 2 huge living areas, walk in robes in every room, fully fitted kitchens and two fully fitted bathrooms (one en suite) with baths and showers, double garage on a 760sqm block of land.

We think its worth the extra hastle ( believe me choosing the paint , kitchen, tiles, taps, doors, bricks, roof covering,.............sigh.....) but we still think its good value for money compare with what you would get this for in the uk. good luck

Hope this helps:goofy:

Thought I would add that we got quotes for blinds throughout the house $4k but decided to buy our own and fit them, they are white wooden venetians which we bought them from Freedom during the sale, bought for all the windows except the patio doors and they cost $1k. Big saving there and they look fanatstic.

It pays to shop around, if anyone needs any help just yell!

Lindsey

Wow I'm inpressed, there is something very exciting about starting from scratch with building your own home, do you think its cheaper to build or buy an established house, the house you mentioned, I was also wondering once you have decided on a style of house you like do you need permission to build that design and why does it take to build is it too let the footings settle or is it all the searches on the land or is it waiting for the builder to start the work, also how do find out which builders are quailty builders and which are not.

Julie

Guest Tina P

, also how do find out which builders are quailty builders and which are not.

Julie

Hi,

We built with Homestead Homes and would definately build with them again, so it's all on recommendation. Our house (Ranwick design was built from scratch in 21 weeks).

We had a really good site manager and the communication was brilliant which help's.

We bought the land at the end of Feb 08 and got the key's 17th Dec 08.

Again I have contact number's for a few tradie's - prob the same people as Lyndsey.

What area's are you looking at ?

Tina

, also how do find out which builders are quailty builders and which are not.

Julie

Hi,

We built with Homestead Homes and would definately build with them again, so it's all on recommendation. Our house (Ranwick design was built from scratch in 21 weeks).

We had a really good site manager and the communication was brilliant which help's.

We bought the land at the end of Feb 08 and got the key's 17th Dec 08.

Again I have contact number's for a few tradie's - prob the same people as Lyndsey.

What area's are you looking at ?

Tina

hi guys well were back on looking at building our own place again....we have seen a place...just waiting for call back about some land soon to be eleased...will keep you all posted.