Why Do You Want To Go To Australia?

Guest carters

Guest carters

Why do you want to go to Australia?

such a hard question to answer when you really want to tell the person asking, this country has had it etc.., but you can't, as the person asking is staying here. So you say things that are good about australia, but can't seem to remember anything other that "I want more space" and "the weather".

The next question is usually, have you ever been to Adelaide?

After only giving silly answers to the first I feel even more stupid when I tell them, No, I haven't been to Adelaide or even Australia. Oh! you are brave they say (but they really mean stupid).

When you are asked these questions do you feel as silly or do you let rip about all the reasons why you want to leave our Great Britain?

Nikki:confused:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it's a very hard question to answer without sounding like you've been practicing the answer for a while. I usually end up saying that it's mainly to give our children a better, healthier life in a great environment. Generally it's true, but it's also for us to have a better life as well and to spend more quality time with the kids.

Richie has been to Adelaide before but only for a couple of days and he can't remember what it was like! So basically we're going in blind!

Guest soggy

im trying to get to Adelaide having never been to Australia too, i cant wait to leave UK, the way i look at things is its going to be a great adventure, moving to the other side of the planet to start a new life, if you dont do it, everytime things here are not perfect you will be thinking if only id gone to Australia when i had the chance if you find in a few years time that Australia is not for you move back to the UK, if being back to where you started is the worst thing that can happen it has got to ge worth the risk.

Simon

Guest dglamoore

We used to get this question all the time too. We had never been to Australia and got some very odd lokks when we told people that No we had never been, No we did not have family there and No we did not have jobs to go out too :o

We used to say we wanted a better family life, better life for our daughter to grow up in, more space and some chance of a summer. If it was people we knew well we also added that UK was just tooooo crowded and did not agree with the open door policy and the implications :confused:

Now we are here we are so glad we came - we had no expectations from a reccie or holiday so have just taken Adelaide as it is. All the things we were looking for we have found - just got to get the businesses going and life will be sweet :D

Lisa:cool:

OUr main motivation is our children - rightly or wrongly and we are looking forward to a new challenge, we are de-motivated here and hope to start enjoying life more again.

We have been before, chose Adelaide mainly because I have some family there and we figured it is better to go where you will at least know someone, only other place we have visited is Melbourne, which is nice too.

Guest ali@51

As With most people we usualy say for the children but we also want to go for other reasons we are hoping to get more time together as a family Morgan is currently out of the house for at least 13 hr days and we miss him :(.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZNxuk137YYGB

We had good lives in the UK and had no reason to slate it.

We didn't know anybody over here, had no jobs, never visited etc. Our answer to everyone who asked was basically, 'Why not?'

If nothing else, we felt it would be an awesome lesson for the kids to learn; that they can leave one life and recreate it somewhere else!

LC

. Our answer to everyone who asked was basically, 'Why not?'

If nothing else, we felt it would be an awesome lesson for the kids to learn; that they can leave one life and recreate it somewhere else!

LC

Same here lazy cow ( oo i feel rude saying that!!!)

life here in the uk is ok , could be better could be worse, we just thought why not? we have nothing to loose, we have no house to sell and we both have jobs that will do ok in oz, also what a great adventure to go on with our kids !!!! i am sooooo excited just for them. we have never been to oz but i have an uncle who has lived there for about 20 years so thats why we are drawn to Adelaide , but i have come to a point in my life where i really believe that nothing is out of my reach and anything is possible so who knows what the future holds and what exciting adventures i will have with my family, this is our great lives and we WILL live it to the full!!:D:D:D

ok i will stop now !!!!:P

weez

Guest nickey and neill

it is so nice to read all these positive reasons...we have had some quite negative responses from some of our friends who we thought wud be really excited for us. we have found ourselves having to justify wanting to do something which we feel is really exciting!!

reading these comments have made us even more determined to get out there and prove everyone wrong!!. like you say- if we hate it which we doubt- we will come back.

life is what u make it! we are only here once!!!!!

nickey and neill

:rolleyes::cool:

xx

im trying to get to Adelaide having never been to Australia too, i cant wait to leave UK, the way i look at things is its going to be a great adventure, moving to the other side of the planet to start a new life, if you dont do it, everytime things here are not perfect you will be thinking if only id gone to Australia when i had the chance if you find in a few years time that Australia is not for you move back to the UK, if being back to where you started is the worst thing that can happen it has got to ge worth the risk.

Simon

HI, IM NEW TO THIS, WELL A FEW WEEKS, I WANT TO LEAVE THE UK COS THE WEATHER, IVE JUST GOT A 2YR CONTRACT IN ADELAIDE IVE BEEN B4 ITS LOVELY,

I WILL B WORKING IN THE COMMUNITY ALL OVER THE MET SO ANY IDEAS OF WHERE TO LIVE????

LOOKING F/WARD TO THE RELAXING NATURE OF 0Z WORLD!!!!!

Ice xXx

As mentioned by Liz , I was in Adelaide before for a few days and like elsewhere in Oz really enjoyed my time there . The reason I did not stay too long in Adelaide was that I was hoping to spend Xmas and New Year in Sydney and had only a couple of weeks in which to see so many things ,ie Great Ocean Road and Melbourne etc.

The really positive thing that made me always want to live or at least return to Oz again for a holiday was the general cleanliness in and around the cities , the positive /friendly attitude of the Australians , and the feeling that everyone was concerned and caring of their environment , and proud to be a part of it .

Obviously there will be areas around when we get there that will prove that not everything was as it seemed , but in the main I don't think I was too far wrong ,

So all things considered , for us , our new Ozzie lives will be safer , healthier and one that will offer our children the best start in lives .

Good Luck all Rich .

Guest chippie74
As mentioned by Liz , I was in Adelaide before for a few days and like elsewhere in Oz really enjoyed my time there . The reason I did not stay too long in Adelaide was that I was hoping to spend Xmas and New Year in Sydney and had only a couple of weeks in which to see so many things ,ie Great Ocean Road and Melbourne etc.

The really positive thing that made me always want to live or at least return to Oz again for a holiday was the general cleanliness in and around the cities , the positive /friendly attitude of the Australians , and the feeling that everyone was concerned and caring of their environment , and proud to be a part of it .

Obviously there will be areas around when we get there that will prove that not everything was as it seemed , but in the main I don't think I was too far wrong ,

So all things considered , for us , our new Ozzie lives will be safer , healthier and one that will offer our children the best start in lives .

Good Luck all Rich .

well put!!!!!!!

last year we spent 8 weeks in aus and did a week in every city.....a lot of travling....we only went as a holiday not to veiw it to live ect. we both loved australia that much when we got back to the uk we put the house up for sale and started the visa prosess. we land in adelaide 2nd sept with 136modl visa. i think we are lucky to have this chance to live in another country ie:- aus,canada new zealand because 90% of people here in the uk wouldnt stand a chance of getting in.

Hi everyone,

This is a good thread because everyone i have told about Oz the first question is usually why? followed by have you been before?.I used to give a full detailed account but now simply say "You only live once".It seems to work.Like someone mentioned before,if its not all you hoped and dreamed you can come back if thats what you want.We're going out with the attitude that theres no going back.I really want to give it a good shot.I've heard loads of stories recently about people who have moved to Oz,got homesick within a year,moved back to the Uk and guess what?They realised what a huge mistake they made and are selling their houses for the second time and going back to Oz.I cant wait. December seems sooooo far away.

Guest graandjac

;)hi nicky getting out before the uk sinks naver been to adelaide or oz must be as mad as the thousands all at it hi to pia great bunch here;) cheers graham

We are going so that our children have a better future to look forward to. We live in a small 2 bed with 3 children and the only way to move would be to max the mortgage which would mean Andy working more hours and him seeing less of the family. We believe we could get a better balance between home and work in Adelaide.

Andy and Wendy

Guest ToothFairy

Hiya. we feel that we are constantly trying to justify our reasons for moving thousands of miles around the world. We dont have it bad here at all (UK). Equity in the house, good jobs, kids on track for local grammar schools, good family relationships, happy lives.

I love my life but why should that hold me back from wanting to move on? Surley we can have a happy life in Australia. Its a massive decision and BECAUSE of the strength in our our relationship it should help on our journey yeah? We have two kids (10 and 8) and it easier to say its for them that we are going. IT'S NOT. It is for all of us. We live in south london, much murder, stabbings, etc all not good. P***ed off paying my taxes to pay for people too lazy to work, and who can blame them for it when it's all handed to them on a plate! Kids are in classes of 34!!(many not speaking English) I work for the NHS and get seriously peeved asking hard working honest people, many in their 80's+, to pay for their treatment, when i am often confronted by young, fit, healthy people with no reason NOT to work, who dont have to pay for anything because they are "on benefit"

Sorry got carried away there.

Just asked Hubbie his main resaons for wanting to go to Aus (there are many) and he said "because we can,we have the oppurtunity to, and for the adventure"

That, I think, is a great resaon. I can think of no better

Long answer i know, but you did ask .ToothFairy xxx

Guest carters

Thanks for your great replies, very positive (as expected). I think in future I will not try to justify my reasons for going to Australia, I will keep it short, I especially like the reply "because I can!" (well I hope we can if we get the visa) That should shut them up!

Nikki & Gang

Guest dunnarunna
Same here lazy cow ( oo i feel rude saying that!!!)weez

dont worry about feeling rude saying that, she is a self confessed lazy cow & proud & you should hear what she calls me:eek:

alot of people i have spoke to dont ask why are you going, they say i dont blame you for wanting to go if i could i would, or others have said they had the chance & wish they`d took it (main reason is dont want to be one of them) but some do think we are mad when you say you`ve never been. Well they say life is for living, i could stay here coz lifes not to bad sometimes i worry about giving up my lovely house we`ve worked so hard on, but i want to give it a go, give the kids an experience, both our families thought about leaving in the 70`s neither did because they couldnt leave family etc, i think it takes someone brave (or daft) to break from the norm. hopefully it will work out for us but if it does go t*ts up at least we tried.

donna:)

Guest bob t

We have had exactly the same senario, some would you believe have led to quite an argument. It is scary and maybe a little crazy, but life is too short and we definately need a better way of life and a new adventure. We also live in Bromley ( and have a fat cat, but it's black and white). We will be leaving for Adelaide on the 19th August, so if you fancy a coffee or a beer, wine...etc,etc. you can be honest and say all the things you want to about the UK without offending us!!!

Lorraine & Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Francis clan

Why do we want to go to Adelaide?

A good question!We've never been to Australia,but having chatted to Ozzie nurses I've worked with and friends who have moved there,they've never looked back.Living in Jersey for 5 years has made people question why we want to leave here,as compared to South London and the NHS as an employer,it's lovely,but everywhere has it's problems-here a 3 bed house costs £350-380k to buy(so no chance there!)Rents are high £1-1.5k per month and general cost of living is expensive-although we love it and are near the beach,we're limited in options of work etc.Going back to the UK isn't an option and as we quite like flying by the seat of our pants-I think giving us and the kids opportunity to experience life in a different country will be a fantastic experience even if after a few years we decide to come home.However even 12-18 months before we get there I 've had great feedback with regards to work and offers of help with anything we need to make our move easier from a friend's family living in Adelaide-it's just so refreshing for people to want to genuinely-sadly even in Jersey,people like to live in their own little shells.

Oh and finally-BECAUSE WE CAN AND WHY NOT!!

Hope to see you all out there!

Hannah and Family

Guest donna T

We are from the Bromley area too (must be something in the water) and left in March this year. We always gave reasons such as 'better for the children' but that is so difficult to explain or qualify.

Having been her for just 4 months, I know it has been the right decision. Here we are inthe middle of winter and the kids have just come back from an organised treasure hunt in Glenelg that cost us $5.00 (about £2.00) and took us into 10 shops all of whom were delighted to give the kids sweets or lollipops or a book and seemed happy to have them in their shops. The sun was out and the sky was blue (it was very windy but hey ho it IS winter), they had a great time and walked on the beach looking at the waves afterwards. I just can't imagin them doing something like that in the Glades - it would have been mayhem with all the 17 year old shopkeepers moaning about the children everywhere.

Just one example of better here for the kids.:)

Guest nikkiandlee

Why do we want to move to Australia?

Most people have said they don't blame us and will come over for a holiday, but if people really want to know we tell them that, the quality of life is better, future prospects for our children are greater and quite frankly we are not happy with the way the UK is heading, we work so hard with little back for it. :mad: All in all how often do you hear people moaning about the Uk and they will still be here 20 years down the line moaning! I say if your not happy stop moaning and do something about it, so we are!!!!!;)

Cheers

Nikki

PS we have never been there either!