Another SIR passed!!

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Not been on in a while either but found out today that we passed the ACS and will now apply for SIR (SA).

We're coming over on 3rd July to Brisbane for a week then Adelaide. No accommodation booked or anything for Adelaide yet (sorted for Brisbane though)..must get round to doing that now that I know it's the SIR visa we have. :-)

oooo..it's just brrrrrrilliant news to know that we can finally get on with the VISA now. We've been told 9 - 18 months turn around..jeez..but ach well..just have to get on with it. Our Michael sits his Scottish Highers next May so that's 11 months of it cause we'll not go till he does those..then by the time the house sells..blah blah...reckon it'll all work out fine in the end.

Can anyone tell me though..at what age do Australian teenagers have to stay on till at school? Someone told me it's 18. My son will be 16 by the time we arrive and we'd be hoping for him to go to college / university there..does anyone know if that'll be possible. I haven't done much research on this up till now.

OMG..still can't believe it ..great timing to find out just before we go on reccie.

Might meet up with a few of you if you're interested..a local watering hole nae doot :-)

Must frequent the site more now..lol.

TTFN (ta ta for now)

Carol Ann (The Hannah Family)

Guest soggy

congratulations on getting SA sponsorship, feels good,all down hill from now, i dont no much about schools only that education is free up until 18, although there are some costs involved.

Simon

Guest rockpool crab

Hi soggy

Gosh looks like we're going to go through this process moreorless along the same timescale.

Thanks for the congrats. folks...I'll defo post all I find out when I get back..which is 28th July..so..sometime in August ..after I get the washing done!..lol..talkin about that and not even been yet..what am I not like.

ooo..it's so exciting..canny wait :-)

regards

Carol Ann (the Hannah family)

Guest Matt & Suzi

Hi there,

We are applying for the 495 visa soon and was told it will take approx 4-6 months. Now you are making me panic saying 9-18 months, does anyone know how long it takes??

Guest rockpool crab
Hi there,

We are applying for the 495 visa soon and was told it will take approx 4-6 months. Now you are making me panic saying 9-18 months, does anyone know how long it takes??

Hi there,

Maybe it depends on the amount of points you've got. I've only got 105 :-( so probably way last in the queue. I don't know for sure though.

Hopefully someone will clarify.

Plus I'm 42....dunno if age goes against you.

TTFN

carol Ann

Guest soggy

105 points, does that include the 10 points you get for state sponsorship? i have not heard about points or age making a difference, i think SIR 495 get priority because of the state sponsorship and people are needed in regional Australia most, most people seem to be getting there SIR visas in 4 to 6 months, depends on how quickly you sort police checks, medicals ect.

Simon

Guest rockpool crab
105 points, does that include the 10 points you get for state sponsorship? i have not heard about points or age making a difference, i think SIR 495 get priority because of the state sponsorship and people are needed in regional Australia most, most people seem to be getting there SIR visas in 4 to 6 months, depends on how quickly you sort police checks, medicals ect.

Simon

Hi there,

It's 105 then 10 for State Sponsorship so it's 115..but don't you need like 120...so maybe that's why mine is taking so long.

Dunno..will ask agent tomorrow..but that's what she told me :-(

ttfn...carol ann

Guest soggy

im sure you need 100 + 10, if you have 120 you can go for permenent visa, im 99% on this, although that other 1% has a habbit of cropping up a lot with me.;)

Simon

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

How many points did you get Simon? are you on the type of visa that you have to work for two years in SA then apply for permanent visa? my lingo is rrrrubbish..now that I know I've a reasonable chance of getting in..I must brush up on it all..lol.

ttfn..carol ann

Guest soggy

yes im on that type of visa, it is a Skilled Independent Regional 495 (SIR 495) you have to spend 2 years anywhere in SA and then providing the main applicant has worked full time for 12 months you can then apply for perminent residency. it is a 3 year visa so theres plenty of time to meet the requirements.

If you need any help with the lingo or anything else just give me a shout.:)

Simon

Guest dglamoore

We came over on an SIR 495. We also had 105 +10 and our visa took 4 months 2 weeks to come through from application. From signing with our agent to getting the visa was 2 days short of 9 months including TRA, Sponsership, visa etc so think your agent is being over cautious with the timeline :o

Have a great trip and let us know what you think of Adelaide :D bring some warm clothes!

Lisa:cool:

Guest happy-jools

We applied for our Visa on the 11th May (Paper based) and was given a 5-6 month timescale for it to come through.

I hope it is that quick as were hoping to be going to Adelaide for good in Jan/Feb time.

Check with the agent Id say.x:cool:

Guest rockpool crab
We applied for our Visa on the 11th May (Paper based) and was given a 5-6 month timescale for it to come through.

I hope it is that quick as were hoping to be going to Adelaide for good in Jan/Feb time.

Check with the agent Id say.x:cool:

jeez..you guys are scaring me now... 5 - 6 months..lol..omg. I've seen a website on here that shows roughly the timescales..let me check..think I bookmarked it.

http://www.austimeline.com/

I'll go and have a nosy at it.

Cheers

Carol Ann

Guest theshearers

Hi Carol

Don't mean to panic you but we were also told that our SIR would only take about 4 - 6 months from application!! (sorry, you probably dont want to hear that do you???)

We have passed our skills assesment already but have had to delay the SA Sponsorship and main application as we can't go until early 2009 when Steve finishes his time in the Royal Marines. We have been told to hold off because if we go ahead with it now then we won't be able to fill the criteria i.e we wont have enough time from when its granted to have lived there for at least two years etc etc!

Sorry to throw this one at you, but hopefully if you speak to your agent then they will be able to shed some light on this! Let us know how you get on!

Vicki

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol

Don't mean to panic you but we were also told that our SIR would only take about 4 - 6 months from application!! (sorry, you probably dont want to hear that do you???)

We have passed our skills assesment already but have had to delay the SA Sponsorship and main application as we can't go until early 2009 when Steve finishes his time in the Royal Marines. We have been told to hold off because if we go ahead with it now then we won't be able to fill the criteria i.e we wont have enough time from when its granted to have lived there for at least two years etc etc!

Sorry to throw this one at you, but hopefully if you speak to your agent then they will be able to shed some light on this! Let us know how you get on!

Vicki

Now that is scary..but you know..when thinking about it..maybe it would be a good thing. Michael could finish off his studies in Oz and that would give him Ozzy qualifications which would be recognised. He'd also then get a feel for colleges / Uni's he would like to go to..it'd give him time to look about.

My..you can always convince yourself of anything if you try hard enough..lol.

I promised my agent I'd leave her alone for a bit..badgered her something fierce regarding trying to get an outcome from ACS before we went on reccie. Will leave it for a few days at least.

thank for all the advice though guys.

TTFN.... Carol Ann

Guest The Bowmans

Hi there

You need 110 points (including the 10 for SA sponsorship for a 495 visa) and I don't think the fact that you may have 110 or 115 makes any difference to the timescale. From everythng we've seen/been told I think it's more likely to be a 4-6 month timescale from submitting your application to DIAC.

At least I hope it is because our 4 month comes up next week!

Good luck with everything.

Deena :)

Guest Aussiebound

HI

We are going on a 136 permanent visa, have been told 6 - 9 months as it takes longer than the SIR 495 you are going on. (Was also told the timescale for yours is 4 - 6 months). Sorry to worry you, think you might need to speak to the agent!!!

Guest rockpool crab
HI

We are going on a 136 permanent visa, have been told 6 - 9 months as it takes longer than the SIR 495 you are going on. (Was also told the timescale for yours is 4 - 6 months). Sorry to worry you, think you might need to speak to the agent!!!

Jeez..this is all news I have to say.

Does anyone know how long you get to activate the visa from the time your receive it? if we received it in 6 months time..but had a year to go over..then I guess it could work out.

Now I've passed the Skills Assessment...I assumed we move onto the visa..but maybe it's SA sponsorship..as reading the mails here that's the way it looks on everyones sign off. So if we still have that to do then that may add a few months onto it. Also..what's DIAC..I saw that earlier..my lingo is so bad! will get there though.

I think I will email my agent tomorrow :-) she'll love me for that. Too many questions though..timescale being the biggy!

Thanks to everyone who's posting. I won't tell my mum about the new timescale (for now).

TTFN.... Carol Ann

PS..wee bit of fun from You Tube..me and youngest..I'd only had one glass of wine..honest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYH8QPBpVbc

Guest soggy

hi Carol Ann,

sposorship is next you have to do it online at http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au

select skilled visas then application forms, once you have filled in and submitted your online form you get 30 days to get your supporting documents to them, they will tell you what documents you need, it asks questions like why do you want to go to SA, and tell us what you know about SA culture so a little research is needed. DIAC at http://www.diac.gov.au/

is who you send the main visa application to. The TRA and sponsorship last a year.

Simon

Guest rockpool crab
hi Carol Ann,

sposorship is next you have to do it online at http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au

select skilled visas then application forms, once you have filled in and submitted your online form you get 30 days to get your supporting documents to them, they will tell you what documents you need, it asks questions like why do you want to go to SA, and tell us what you know about SA culture so a little research is needed. DIAC at http://www.diac.gov.au/

is who you send the main visa application to. The TRA and sponsorship last a year.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'm hoping my agent will do the SA Sponsorship stuff for me..she's never mentioned it yet. Will defo ask tomorrow.

Does anyone know if you work for 12 months on the SIR 495 then can you apply for permanent residency? or do you have to wait 24 months before you can?

Thanks for all this advice.

Carol Ann

Guest dglamoore
Jeez..this is all news I have to say.

Does anyone know how long you get to activate the visa from the time your receive it? if we received it in 6 months time..but had a year to go over..then I guess it could work out.

TTFN.... Carol Ann

PS..wee bit of fun from You Tube..me and youngest..I'd only had one glass of wine..honest....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYH8QPBpVbc

You will have one year from the date of your medicals or police checks (whichever is dated first) to validate your visas by entering OZ ;)

Yep sponsorship is the next stage if you are applying for an SIR visa. Usually takes about a month and then once this has been granted it is onto the visa and more waiting:rolleyes:

DIAC - Department of Immigration and Citizenship (used to be DIMIA) and they are the ones who will grant your visa :D

Guest dglamoore
Hi Simon,

I'm hoping my agent will do the SA Sponsorship stuff for me..she's never mentioned it yet. Will defo ask tomorrow.

Does anyone know if you work for 12 months on the SIR 495 then can you apply for permanent residency? or do you have to wait 24 months before you can?

Thanks for all this advice.

Carol Ann

Hi Carol Ann

You have to be in OZ 2 years before you can apply for PR and have to have worked at least 12 months of that time to fulfil the requirements :D

Don't forget that in that 2 years you have to take into account any time you leave OZ for any reason too!