Immigration news...

HEAPS GOOD !!!

I received this in email today it might be of some use to ppl on the roller coaster :wacko:

Australian media reported today that there have been 'major cuts' proposed to skilled migration that would 'shut the door' for many migrants. We would like to set the record straight to ensure you are aware of how the announcement could affect your migration plans.

Here is summary of what has been reported:

1. The Government has proposed it will reduce the planned record intake of skilled migrants from 133,500 workers in 2008-09, to 115,000.

Our response:

• The 2007-08 program was increased by 31,500 places. Even if the Government reduces permanent skilled migration this financial year by 18,500 places, the skilled migration intake will remain at record levels.
  • The reduction does not affect your eligibility to apply, but may extend processing times. This means that the sooner your application is lodged, the better.

2. Building and construction occupations will be removed from the Critical Skills List.

Our response:

• At this stage, plumbers, metal workers, bricklayers and carpenters will no longer receive priority processing and may need to wait longer for their skilled migration application to be approved.
  • Applicants sponsored by eligible family members or a state or territory government will still receive priority processing, regardless of occupation.
  • Most importantly, skilled migrants in these occupations are still eligible to apply for skilled migration to Australia.

Further details of the proposed changes will be announced in the May 2009 budget and rest assured we will keep you informed as new information comes to light.

Immigration Minister, Senator Chris Evans, also commented that the overwhelming message from business and industry is that Australia still needs to maintain a skilled migration program and plays a crucial role in stimulating the economy.

I hope this is of some use to some people.

HG !!!

Guest Kazzarazza

Our response:

• At this stage, plumbers, metal workers, bricklayers and carpenters will no longer receive priority processing and may need to wait longer for their skilled migration application to be approved.
  • Applicants sponsored by eligible family members or a state or territory government will still receive priority processing, regardless of occupation.
  • Most importantly, skilled migrants in these occupations are still eligible to apply for skilled migration to Australia.

quote]

Hi Heaps Good

Thanks for posting this - very interesting. I just wondered though, where it came from? It is the only place where I have seen that "family sponsored" visas would still be processed. We were told that these wouldn't even get looked at in the forseeable future.

Cheers.

Our response:

quote]

Hi Heaps Good

Thanks for posting this - very interesting. I just wondered though, where it came from? It is the only place where I have seen that "family sponsored" visas would still be processed. We were told that these wouldn't even get looked at in the forseeable future.

Cheers.

Hi kazza,

It came from live in australia.com i joined up to them before we came here and still get the bit of news and updates from them.

Check their website out.

HG !!!

Guest Nick11

George Lomard also posted on another website that the cuts will come from some form of business visa - never even heard of it - seemed a very obscure visa - will not affect people here on 495s who are going for 887s.

Good news .

Guest norah battie

better not...my stress levels have gone up since reading these posts......made me a bit wobbly today and we are on the final stretch and have done evreything asked and worked so hard that I would lock myself in a cupboard rather than be sent back...how awful would that be?

Guest Dave & Carole

After all the bad news we've had over the last couple of days regarding our own visa...its nice to know if we have to start the process from scratch then at least the odds are still good.

Carole

better not...my stress levels have gone up since reading these posts......made me a bit wobbly today and we are on the final stretch and have done evreything asked and worked so hard that I would lock myself in a cupboard rather than be sent back...how awful would that be?

Keep the faith :idea: are you sponsored? state? personal? company?

Guest norah battie

state sponsored.......sir 495....our 2 years is up in July......I just want to be permanent...and feel I now belong here and have no uncertainty....I have a really good job as does my OH and like others have worked hard for everything....to go back would be my worse nightmare.....feel very emotional about it today as rumours are flying about everywhere....don't think they can send you back after spending two years gaining all the right things.....would be so unfair

state sponsored.......sir 495....our 2 years is up in July......I just want to be permanent...and feel I now belong here and have no uncertainty....I have a really good job as does my OH and like others have worked hard for everything....to go back would be my worse nightmare.....feel very emotional about it today as rumours are flying about everywhere....don't think they can send you back after spending two years gaining all the right things.....would be so unfair

I know what uor saying....but it may be an idea to speak to your bosses and see if they are really pleased with what you are doing if they would consider sponsoring you.

I dnt wanna worry you but there has been cases of guys having their sponsorship stopped after 2 years but they then got sponsored by their employer so it ll turned out good.

Good luck tho, i reckon you be ok.

Guest norah battie

I am in Education and my boss would do anything to have me...a bit different in this area.....I dont think its a worry for us as we are nearly there

Guest Kraig1967
So does it make it easier if your employer is sponsoring you? I am here on 457 sponsored and paid for by my employer, and they have said they will sponsor and pay for my PR when i go for my PR.

If I remember correctly from our new migrant meeting, 9 weeks ago, regarding the 475 visa where the Government sponsor you you have to wait 2 years before you can apply for PR but if you can find an employer to sponsor you when you are here you don't have to wait and can apply for PR straight away.

If someone can please confirm or otherwise. :chatterbox:

So does it make it easier if your employer is sponsoring you? I am here on 457 sponsored and paid for by my employer, and they have said they will sponsor and pay for my PR when i go for my PR.

also i know a friend who was working on a building site with this guy who was state sponsored, his 2 years was up he applied for longer etc and they told him no :sad:....needless to say he has been sponsored by the company employing him.;)