2 Week Update

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

Well we have been here for 2.5 weeks now and I thought I had better post our update. Well, as you know, we arrived to rain, which did not impress us at all, but since then we have enjoyed some beautiful warm and sunny weather.

We have done all the usual boring stuff, TFNs ABN, Medicare, Medibank, mobiles, bank accounts, drivers licenses and landline telephone. In addition to this we have bought a van for Sean to go to work and earn the money to keep us here and bought a little car so that Amber and me can get around. Amber is enrolled at school and starts at Blackwood Primary on Monday - Yippeeeeeeeeeee can't wait, she is driving me crazy at the moment. The 2 bed unit we are renting is small and basic but adequate and is fully furnished, so fortunately, we have not had to spend anything since our arrival on household things, they even put an iron and ironing board in there for us and towels!!!!!

We have been to 3 Barbies to date, thank you very much to Gina and Tony and Pete and Tracey for your very kind invitations. We have also met some members from PIA and spoke to some on the phone, a really warm welcome from all, thanks guys!! Looking forward to meeting more people at the next meet. Currently our container is at sea and will arrive in Adelaide mid April and will be released to us, all being well, first week of May. Until then, our PC access is limited, we have joined the local library at Blackwood and are using the internet there, but time is limited.

So far we are settling in well, finding our way around, I can now drive myself to Mitcham shopping centre, Marion shopping centre, Blackwood, Coromandel Valley and the southern suburbs, but have yet to learn my way to the city. I am leaving that one until the end of the Fringe!!!!

We are loving Adelaide and loving our new lifestyle, we pop down to Brighton/Glenelg beach most evenings for a sunset stroll and paddle in the water, this is the life!!!!!

You probably remember my posts re the goodbyes, well just to let you all know that you were right, it was definately worth it!!!!!! Amber is struggling a little with missing people and she is nervous about school on Monday, however, I am sure that once she has got the first week out of the way, she will be just fine. Sean has worked all week this week and has found it quite challenging. He hasnt worked for 3 months, so is a little out of shape, in addition, he has been in "holiday mode" since we arrived. He went to work on his first day, with not enough water, no hat and no sunscreen, needless to say he felt pretty "crook" when he returned in the afternoon!!! He hasnt made that mistake since though. He is settling well to work here, just finding the heat a little tough, heaven help him when it reaches the 40s!!!!!!

Will catch up as soon as I can get PC access again, I feel a little cut off from the world without regular internet access, but these sacrifices have to be made I suppose!!!!

Mandy x

You sound settled already. Blackwood is a lovely area. Have you been into the National Park at Belair, yet, it's great for walks when the weather gets a bit cooler. Driving into the city is easy from Blackwood and to avoid the Fringe/Clipsal drive down Shepherd's Hill Rd, exit left onto South Rd before Flinders and continue all the way to Anzac Highway. This will take you onto the West Tce end of town. Try it on a Sunday morning when traffic is not so busy.

Your daughter will be fine at school, once she has settled in and made a few friends. You do have to watch the hot weather, it can be deceptive until you do anything but lie on the sofa with a cool drink, but it sounds like your hubby has got it down sussed and by next summer you will all be acclimatised.

The Brits have always been good at settling in new arrivals due to the long history of colonialism. It's good so many people turn round to help out our newies. Aussies do it too once they know you are there.

Enjoy the weather, it could last like this well into April, with cooler mornings but warm in the afternoons.

Rachel

Guest Django

Great to see you guys getting into your new lives. We were worried about Jack settling in but to be honest it has been the making of him.

I would agree with Rachel about Belair National Park. It is lovely there. We had a picnic there and it was great to just let the kids run riot. We virtually had the park to ourselves and I can see us going back there again and again. Might even be a good venue for a PIA meet.:idea:

Its a great feeling getting all the running around out of the way. Now you can concentrate on enjoying the place. ;)

Pete

Guest back clan

Hi ReadyPenny. I am so pleased you are settling in well. I have followed your plans over the last few months with interest. Your always seemed to have such a good sense of humour and those last days int he Uk must have been really hard. We have all that to come as we got our visas on 4th march. We too have an 11 yr old drama queen. I hope youcontinue tosettle in really well and hope one day to meet you when we arrive in Sept.

lesley, Ian and Louise

Guest kangomik

Hi there.

Amber will Love school

Hubby has no need to worry about the 40's till next christmas, by then he will be used to it.

As for learning your way around, give it 6 months tops.

Good to see you settled so quickly

Guest alan smallman

Glad it's going OK Mand.

We'll be there on 5 April!! So, your posts are of a special interest to us. You'll knoe EXACTLY what we're going through!!

XX Al

Guest Lisado

Hi Mandy

Its sounds fantastic - I am so jealous. Pleased you are all settlin gin well and school sorted, etc.

Hope to see you there soon :cute:

Lisa

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Glad to hear you are settling in well already. You seem to be the settling type! Once your daughter is at school she will be fine. Keep on exploring, you will soon find your way round its a good place to not get lost

sarah

Guest Mrs Dizzy Rascal

Hi All Glad too hear your settling in so well, let me know what Blackwood School is like we're arriving in June and my daughter and son are going there.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Sarahxx:notworthy::v_SPIN::o

Guest Lisa & Kevin

Hi Mandy

You certainly sound like you've packed alot into your first couple of weeks :wideeyed:

Really pleased to hear you have settled so well and Sean's started work and Amber's due to start school :)

If the next few months fly by as quick as the past few weeks it won't be long before we'll be overthere too :jiggy:

Lisa x