Harmony Day

julie-ruth

Hi its harmony day today can someone explain what it's all about, my daughter came up to me two minute's after we sent her to bed saying she was suppose to wear something orange and tradition today, hense she is going to school in her school clothes.

Whats orange and tradition got to do with Harmony day.

Julie

Orange is the colour for harmony day, a day where we are all supposed to live as one, get along, respect other cultures. The tradition thing is probably meant to be cultural traditional dress....so school uniform is very apt for and English child :biglaugh: Harmony day is very big in primary schools, but has a tendency to fall away in High schools...they have more important things to do.......LOL

Guest 3 go mad in adelaide

I thought Harmony Day was next week (Thursday 2nd April)?

Apparently it is a day to celebrate diversity in Australia and spreading the message that 'everyone belongs'.

My daughter has been asked to wear a traditional cultural costume, or something orange, which is the official colour of Harmony Day (if they can't manage this, then school uniform it is!). Luckily, when we were in Singapore last we bought her this beautiful japanese style dress, so she'll be wearing that.

We have also been asked to supply a traditional cultural dish for a shared lunch (so I thought I'd make Sushi as she's going Japanese!). This is a lunch for parents to attend too, it seems like it'll be going on most of the day.

Sounds like a nice idea though, but it stumped me at first a bit too (do kids ever pass on proper information?!?!?!)

Hope this helps.

Ooooh, you're in Wynn Vale - so am I! What school is your daughter at?

Thanks guys for the info I've just come back from the school assemble with explained to me in song what you've just told me, although watching 5 and 6 year olds sing brings a tear to my eye actions and everything, my girls are at golden grove primary.

The Japanese theme sounds nice, the only orange thing we have is a very loud orange top my hubby bought himself when we went to disneyland last year so you can imagine mickey shaped with goofie in the middle not really the thing an (got to look cool) 10 year old can wear, which school does your kids go to. My younger daughter wore an washed out pink dress that use to be dark orangeish colour but has gone pink over time she was happy so I let her carry on.

Julie

Guest 3 go mad in adelaide
Thanks guys for the info I've just come back from the school assemble with explained to me in song what you've just told me, although watching 5 and 6 year olds sing brings a tear to my eye actions and everything, my girls are at golden grove primary.

The Japanese theme sounds nice, the only orange thing we have is a very loud orange top my hubby bought himself when we went to disneyland last year so you can imagine mickey shaped with goofie in the middle not really the thing an (got to look cool) 10 year old can wear, which school does your kids go to. My younger daughter wore an washed out pink dress that use to be dark orangeish colour but has gone pink over time she was happy so I let her carry on.

Julie

Glad all went well, and yes it's amazing what a group of 5-6 year olds singing can do to grown adults, but lovely! My daughter is at Wynn Vale school, which unfortunately I can't really recommend, but they have a new head and deputy now so hopefully things'll improve! Still, looking forward to their Harmony Day next week - especially if they sing *sniff*