Finally! The Hannahs are working

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Had to share...Andrew got a job as a "Youth Support Worker" for "Families SA" and starts on 27th April. They'll put him through his certificate III and IV, which is fantastic as we couldn't have afforded to do this ourselves.

Me..I had an interview yesterday ..and got a phone call today ..got the job. It's permanent but only 20 hours a week but he said at the interview as it's a new post he started it off at 20 but reckon's it'll likely go fulltime. WOOOOT!...chuffed. It's "marketing / PA / Admin" for a technical writing / intranet development company in the city. Already I've to go in fulltime Friday and all the folllowing week fulltime.

I'm soooooooo chuffed..can't believe the week we've had. Can't wait to get started though. It's still taking in what I used to do... as love graphic design and this will still be a large part of the remit.

Sooo happy!

Took us both 4 months, so it wasn't quick. Writing covering letters and resumes quite frankly was getting very wearing, they can take days to do properly...so all I can say is it's worth it and hang in there.

Best of luck to everyone who's still searching.

Carol Ann ;););)

Guest caoimhe

Ahh Carol Ann I am really pleased for you both. It took us 3 months and the relief when we got jobs was amazing.

I hope you both enjoy your new positions

Good luck

Guest familygood

Wow both jobs in one week!!! Thats brilliant news for you. Well done!! Its an eye opener seeing how long it might take for us to get work but we are realistic and have budgetted for this so hoping it will be quick for us. Did Andrew work in Youth work before? I work in Youth Homelessness (strategy not directly) but hoping to get something similar over there.

Congratulations anyway!!!

Guest rockpool crab
Ahh Carol Ann I am really pleased for you both. It took us 3 months and the relief when we got jobs was amazing.

I hope you both enjoy your new positions

Good luck

You're right it's pure relief as we were contemplating all kinds of back up plans. One we had was that Andrew would go back and restart the job he left (he's on a career break) and we'd stay here and he would send money over until I got a job...jeezus...would have hated that one...but we'd been chewing it over.

We always knew we could survive 6 months (on the budget we'd set out) but it was looming ever closer and was getting a tad scary...so it's happy days!...woooooooooot!! Just need the house to sell....that'd be three in a row then :biglaugh: gosh...tutt tutt..never happy eh!..rofl.

Cheers for the best wishes.

Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
Wow both jobs in one week!!! Thats brilliant news for you. Well done!! Its an eye opener seeing how long it might take for us to get work but we are realistic and have budgetted for this so hoping it will be quick for us. Did Andrew work in Youth work before? I work in Youth Homelessness (strategy not directly) but hoping to get something similar over there.

Congratulations anyway!!!

Yup..can you believe it..both jobs in one week. I only applied for this one last Wednesday and it was the Easter weekend. He phoned me on the Thursday and said come along next Tuesday (as all back at work) and phoned me today to say I'd got it!..he didn't phone till 4.30pm and I had it in my head it just wasn't happening..but it did!!..yippeeeeeee..so it took one week to get the job from start to finish..I tell ya they don't normally move as quick as that!

Andrew worked as a prison officer for 22 years (Correctional services is what they call it here) he did have a hankering to work with the youth services though as he'd like to help the kids before they go off the rails if he can..so he's happy as larry and raring to go. He got the residential units too which means you have to treat the kids like family in a way and take them out shopping, to the beach etc...sounds good to me!

There are heaps of youth worker roles I'm sure you'd have no bother finding work in that arena. They do generally ask for these Cert. III and IV certificates in the chosen field but if you've already done that sort of work don't see that being an issue..different for Andrew as he hadn't..but guess you're always best to research before you get here just to be sure.

Happy days :D:D:D

Guest rockpool crab
Congratulations to the both of you....... great news

Cheers for the good wishes.

I was in two minds to post. It seems like I'm sort of bragging....and I honestly don't want it to come across like this. We're just so chuffed that it's finally working out as we were seriously thinking it might not..but it's looking good now...I daresay it'll still be difficult but at least we've got a chance of trying now.

I honestly have my fingers crossed for each and every one of us on here who is looking for work.

happy days.

Carol Ann

Guest Guest75

About time you two got off your arses and stopped lollygagging around!!!

Truthfully - so chuffed for you when I heard.

The delight of it all must be so much sweeter after the waits and false starts.

Onya!!!!!!!;);)

BTW - Little Tyke has one firm /full time job offer - but something which is rather mundane but pays well.

Another highlight should come through on Friday - in the area she loves and has persevered to be in - full time again - she should know Friday.I have my finger /toes and manbits crossed she gets that position!

I was in two minds to post. It seems like I'm sort of bragging....and I honestly don't want it to come across like this.

NOT AT ALL. I love reading posts like this, just wish there were more of them. Really so pleased for you both, now you can really relax and enjoy and actually feel like you can stay there for a very long time. Good for you.

Guest brandyslad

I was in two minds to post. It seems like I'm sort of bragging....and I honestly don't want it to come across like this.

NOT AT ALL. I love reading posts like this, just wish there were more of them. Really so pleased for you both, now you can really relax and enjoy and actually feel like you can stay there for a very long time. Good for you.

Snap. I like hearing success stories too, there is a lot of negative stuff out there at the moment and getting work looks to be a job in itself so good to hear about it falling into place.

Guest rockpool crab
About time you two got off your arses and stopped lollygagging around!!!

Truthfully - so chuffed for you when I heard.

The delight of it all must be so much sweeter after the waits and false starts.

Onya!!!!!!!;);)

BTW - Little Tyke has one firm /full time job offer - but something which is rather mundane but pays well.

Another highlight should come through on Friday - in the area she loves and has persevered to be in - full time again - she should know Friday.I have my finger /toes and manbits crossed she gets that position!

Cheers for the good wishes Tyke. Fantastic news re Jenna..my fingers are tightly crossed too for tomorrow. She's been looking for a wee while now, so that's all goodness it's finally paying off.

Catch ya later..Carol Ann

Guest rockpool crab
How have I missed this thread???? :unsure:

Good on ya guys. Now you can settle for sure without the worrying about funds.

Happy days.:D

Pete

Yup it's a huge relief. Cheers for the best wishes Pete. Hope it happens for you soon. How you settling in at Woodcroft?

Carol Ann

Guest caoimhe

Carol Ann

Not bragging at all..part of the forum is to let off steam when things are tough and so we need to be able to share the good news to.