Our 1 month update!

jo_marnes

Hi everyone,

I can't believe we have only been here a month - seems like quite a bit longer! We have just moved out of OAA and into our permanent rental in Brighton. We didn't look at too many houses as it was tricky dragging the kids around. We saw this place and were undecided what to do as Mark was still waiting to hear about a job. So we decided to offer 6 mths rent up front and it was accepeted. Only thing is, the job didn't come through so now we have a lot less money than before! Mark has an interview tomorrow and I'm really keeping my fingers crossed. Not sure what else to do!

At least with having a permanent base we have been able to enrol our 5 yr old in school so he starts at Brighton Primary after the Easter break. Looking forward to getting a routine as we are just pottering about and I feel we haven't found our feet at all yet. Haven't met many people - I did meet up with Anna and Jenny last week with the kids which was nice, just a shame I had to rush off for an appt with a recruitment agency! Back in the UK I used to meet up with friends or family every day almost so this has been quite weird not being able to do that. Am missing the chats in the playground and the coffee mornings!

Our stuff arrives from the UK tomorrow so am looking forward to that. Be nice to have some photos and things to put up and make this place feel more like home. I don't want to go back to the UK, but I wish I felt more at home than I do. I think the worst bit is not having any income. I find it very stressful as our funds are extremely limited. We really did think it would be easier to find work than it is. Now we are spending the money we saved to buy nice things - like a new TV etc, which was money given to us at our wedding last year. It's depressing spending it on phone bills and car insurance. I feel I will be able to relax when there is money coming in - until then I feel like I am still waiting to get on with our 'new life'. I'm trying not to get too fed up and take it out on the kids but it is hard. They are bored too with no friends and nothing to play with. Roll on tomorrow and getting their toys!

Haven't really got much to add - not much of an update really!

Jo xx

Guest happy feet

Hi, it's not easy when u first get here. We have only been here 10 weeks, and still struggling, even though i have a job, (which i hate). Money is like water, spend, spend , spend.... If u want to meet up, just PM me, and we will try and arrange something.

Good luck with hubby job interview tom

cara x

Still it's good to get updates, a month flies by and it is only another week of school hols. You wil find that the routine of school will help with the settling in. It is going to take time to replace your circle of friends and to develop your own favourite places and things to do, but it will happen and the next year will fly by and you will be able to reflect on your ability to cope with all things and hopefully feel a little bit more at home.

Guest The Pottertons

Thanks for the update- its so good to have an idea of the struggles people have as well as the positives! Helps us all to prepare. Sounds like youve actually done a huge amount in one month and hope you're hubbys interview goes well! I'll have my fingers crossed for you!!!! Take care! And dont forget to do a 6month update!!!!!!!! Yvonne xx

Guest caoimhe

People underestimate how hard it can be when you arrive (I was one of them) but it gradually gets easier. We arrived just before the schools broke up for Christmas so had kids at home for about 8 weeks but once they did start a little bit of normality returned. Getting you own furniture etc will make a difference, just having some familar bits and pieces around you really helps.

The hardest part is the jobs, so I really hope your husband has luck with this one and sorry to hear the other one didn't pan out.

Good luck