• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      BJF
      As I'm already in Oz so I haven't seen this programme and can only take a guess that someone didn't like their new life here. I'm also guessing you all think this guy is crazy but until you've actually spent time in his shoes don't judge him.

I've been here almost 3 years, two of which we lived near Brisbane and the last 6 months down here near Adelaide and I'd move back home tomorrow if I could afford the removals and flight's. I am finding it very hard to settle here, our eldest daughter (now 20) and our youngest daughter (now 7) are also unhappy here, they miss their grandparents like you would not believe, our middle daughter (now 15) seems to have settled here but wouldn't be too heartbroken if we said we were returning to UK. We are planning to return to UK in two years after middle daughter (Tori on the kids section) graduates high school. We moved here for a better life for our kids but since arriving they've turned into couch potatoes, they say it's too hot to go outside and do all the stuff they used to enjoy doing, like riding their bikes, zooming up and down the street on their roller-blades or just enjoying playing on the swings at the park. We can't afford to give our kids half the stuff they had in the UK due to the high cost of living here, I find food shopping hard work as fresh food doesn't have a very long shelf life. Electricity and gas are more expensive than in UK too, winter electricity bills are real scarey due to houses having not central heating in them, so you need to buy heaters to warm the house which isn't easy as most homes are open plan.

Guess this makes me a whinging pom too.

Aussiebound
      Quote Originally Posted by BJF View Post
      As I'm already in Oz so I haven't seen this programme and can only take a guess that someone didn't like their new life here. I'm also guessing you all think this guy is crazy but until you've actually spent time in his shoes don't judge him.

I've been here almost 3 years, two of which we lived near Brisbane and the last 6 months down here near Adelaide and I'd move back home tomorrow if I could afford the removals and flight's. I am finding it very hard to settle here, our eldest daughter (now 20) and our youngest daughter (now 7) are also unhappy here, they miss their grandparents like you would not believe, our middle daughter (now 15) seems to have settled here but wouldn't be too heartbroken if we said we were returning to UK. We are planning to return to UK in two years after middle daughter (Tori on the kids section) graduates high school. We moved here for a better life for our kids but since arriving they've turned into couch potatoes, they say it's too hot to go outside and do all the stuff they used to enjoy doing, like riding their bikes, zooming up and down the street on their roller-blades or just enjoying playing on the swings at the park. We can't afford to give our kids half the stuff they had in the UK due to the high cost of living here, I find food shopping hard work as fresh food doesn't have a very long shelf life. Electricity and gas are more expensive than in UK too, winter electricity bills are real scarey due to houses having not central heating in them, so you need to buy heaters to warm the house which isn't easy as most homes are open plan.

Guess this makes me a whinging pom too.
      Hi

Its not juding him before we have been in his shoes so to speak as the fact that his own wife says he moans about everything, he moaned in the Uk - then said he hates the sun, sea, sand etc - why then move to Australia!

Everyone entitled to their own opinions, especially his wife, who just seemed to go along with what he said for a quiet life.

Maybe if they had researched Australia before doing it - they decided to move and 6 weeks later they where there - they may have thought twice about going.

I'm sure this situation arises a lot and if we are not happy we will return if possible, happy that we at least tried it, but I don't think anyone on this thread was slating him for wanting to come home, just the way in which in carried on.

Hope this makes it a little clearer for you!

Sarah

Title
      Liked
      579 times
      Rep
      Im not speciffically attacking him....but many of the things he said make ppl wonder why they chose in the first place....eg Dont like Sun!

It would have helped him if did and research.... resources are easy to find these days.

A decision this bigs takes longer then 6 weeks to decide on.....! He just wanted an easier life, and then couldnt be asked to pay the license fee for his job....!

Dan and Steph
      If you wanna a beer....PM me

Daniel, 31 and Stephanie, 30, Arrived 30th April 2008 and LOVING IT!!!

sarahsmartiepants
      [quote=scooterdan;8196]Im not speciffically attacking him....but many of the things he said make ppl wonder why they chose in the first place....eg Dont like Sun!

he was in the right place if he didnt like the sun!!:(

Rachel & Jeff
      What have I missed?

Is this a series I should be watching?

Rachel

Leanne & Mark
      Quote Originally Posted by Rachel & Jeff View Post
      What have I missed?

Is this a series I should be watching?

Rachel
      No Place like home Tuesday 8pm. itv.
      Not missing anything, yesterdays was a family returning from oz, but the week before they were returning from cyprus, so i don't think there will be any more on oz!. Plus the bloke was a prat. His attitude toward everything (not just oz) stunk, he was rude obnoxious, and arrogant. He'd been there 4 yrs and refused to pay $500 to get his skills recognized, therefore he couldn't get work. So his good ol' wife worked and he moaned, and moaned, & well moaned some more!!!!
      Got fed up with watching him tell his wife to shut up and turned back to Holby.

Title
      Liked
      16 times
      Rep
      i havent watched the program yet will do tonite but i started the same post on pio & it seems to me everyone is judging the man because he was an ar*e (to his wife etc) not because he wanted to come home like di suggests ( not getting at you di it must be awful being somewhere & not being happy), but thats why they picked him & not someone who was just sad & wants to come home, because he obviously made good viewing, no matter how awful he was.
      donna
      donna

Title
      Liked
      16 times
      Rep
      whoops put my name twice should of added a few more then i could have gone donna donna donna donna batman! (i know its a terrible joke!)

Title
      Liked
      62 times
      Rep
      hi Di! sorry to hear that you are in such an aweful position! i hope the time flies by for you quickly :)

and yes, it was not really about them returning back to the uk - it was just him not being happy anywhere!
      and in the end he said his wife was to chose where to live and he'd stay 100% behind her decision! well, he did go back with her to oz; but he did a bit more whinging and she finally gave in after 3 months and they came back .... so why give her hopes in the first place?!?!

Jane.Mason
      Hi All

Well watched with interest.

Having been on the other side with Creative Editing and all that like a few posters on here, must say i really wouldn't like to comment. He was obviously unhappy and wanted to return to the UK, His Wife obviously did not. The programme was always going to play this to their advantage and play on the fact they couldn't agree. For all those that move and return there are those that stay. I think everything in these programmes has to be taken with a large pinch of Salt. The producers have a brief to follow, the presenter will have the list of questions to fire up the situation and you will not always hear what the researcher or presenter has asked.

Andi and Jane

•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums