lets have a debate about the bag ban!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Guest sarahsmartiepants

So what do you all think about it??

Me I think it would be a good idea BUT seeing as Australians produce the most amount of greenhouse gasses per person in the devloped world then I think it is a waste of time! But I suppose they have to start somewhere.

I think they would have been better off starting to get some of those old banga trucks off the road and impose emmision testing on them.

I went out for my early morning walk this morning there was a haze and I am sure in the distance I could smell burning plastic:biglaugh:. My daughter assures me the supermarket she works in was sending theirs to QLD!

sarah

Should have known that any heated debates would be started by you SSP!! I'll chuck in my two cents worth though, I also agree with the ban but find it quite ironic that it was introduced the day before Kevin Rudd pulled out of a planned carbon emissions trading scheme!

And I keep forgetting to take my re-usable bags to the shops with me so I end up buying more! So far I think I've got 143 and can no longer get into the laundry room...:biglaugh:

really do Aussies produce the most, thought it might be china?

I actually agree with the bag ban, it takes hundreds of years for a plastic bag to decompose in landfill. Plus what the hell did we do before plastic bags?

Now one thing that i would like to see at supermarket tills, staff that dont take all bleeding day to scan your shopping, or being able to pack it yourself!!

Guest spannaelephant

Here here to the packing. I carefully (and a bit obsessively) put my shopping on the conveyor in a certain order..........heavy tins, bottles etc, cold stuff, lighter stuff etc etc.......and when I get home I still find eggs in with tins, crushed crisps, bread, melting butter (and I even have the 'cool bags' to put it in).............the only time I find their packing a god send is when I am unfortunate enough to have to go with the kids! I then get to concentrate on getting them out of there without having screaming fits or running off!!

But in regard to bags, I prefer reusable, if I remember to take them with me that is! Nothing worse than a splitting bag halfway into the house! ;)

I actually agree with the bag ban, it takes hundreds of years for a plastic bag to decompose in landfill. Plus what the hell did we do before plastic bags?

Now one thing that i would like to see at supermarket tills, staff that dont take all bleeding day to scan your shopping, or being able to pack it yourself!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Have a read of this..............

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/02/2079513.htm

I do think banning bags is a good idea as it is a start but as a developed country, banning bags will not really cut it with the rest of the world.

On the other debate I love having my bags packed and have never had any unfortunate packing incidents! I can just see my self in Asda in july standing there waiting for the girl to pack my bags. far less stressful shopping here, it doesnt come pouring down the end of the conveyer as the missery behind the till shoves it through at the speed of light and the person behind waits impatiently for you to get out of the way. Can you tell I am looking forward to going back??????????? NOT!

Guest Kazzarazza

I also agree with the bag ban - good idea. Also thought for a long time that something like the MOT test should be introduced to get the old bombs off the roads.

On emmisions - China is by far the biggest producer in the world, closely followed by USA. Unfortunately, for Oz, the so-called "experts" look at the emmisions per person. Considering Australia only has just over 20 million to China's billion or USA 300 million, we are always going to be behind the 8-ball when measured in this way. In terms of ACTUAL emmisions though, Australia is one of the lowest producers in the world - one of the reasons John Howard thought it wasn't a good idea for Australia to sign up to Kyoto. We could never achieve the Kyoto targets set for 20 million people without crippling every major industry in the country.

I also agree with the bag ban - good idea. Also thought for a long time that something like the MOT test should be introduced to get the old bombs off the roads.

On emmisions - China is by far the biggest producer in the world, closely followed by USA. Unfortunately, for Oz, the so-called "experts" look at the emmisions per person. Considering Australia only has just over 20 million to China's billion or USA 300 million, we are always going to be behind the 8-ball when measured in this way. In terms of ACTUAL emmisions though, Australia is one of the lowest producers in the world - one of the reasons John Howard thought it wasn't a good idea for Australia to sign up to Kyoto. We could never achieve the Kyoto targets set for 20 million people without crippling every major industry in the country.

Totally agree with the MOT thing, :biglaugh:some of the cars i havent seen since the 1970s, makes you wonder how they still driveable doesnt it!! Well hopefully now Bush is out of the way Obama might actually agree global warming does exist and its not a figment of some geeks imagination , his ownly concern seemingly Americas economic growth but stuff the developing countries which will be hit by the aftereffects, shame on you mr bush!!

Sit in Burnside village at the cafe near Coles and soak in the atmosphere watching other BUrnside matrons cart in loads of green bags. They have been schooling themselves for this moment of triumph for about 5 years since they were introduced. I think they never leave home without one. If you look closely at their outerwear you may be able to see the point at which another one is morphed off surrepticiously as needed. Seriously though try the cream cheese rolls at that cafe they are soooo yummy, but my coffeee drinking friends say that the coffee is better at cibos. If you go to Cibos try a sour cherry tart yummo. Hmmm a bit sidetracked here.

Sit in Burnside village at the cafe near Coles and soak in the atmosphere watching other BUrnside matrons cart in loads of green bags. They have been schooling themselves for this moment of triumph for about 5 years since they were introduced. I think they never leave home without one. If you look closely at their outerwear you may be able to see the point at which another one is morphed off surrepticiously as needed. Seriously though try the cream cheese rolls at that cafe they are soooo yummy, but my coffeee drinking friends say that the coffee is better at cibos. If you go to Cibos try a sour cherry tart yummo. Hmmm a bit sidetracked here.

:biglaugh:

my mums been recycling bags for years, but then 5p was alot of money for a kwik save bag when i was a youngster! (i dont think it was a green thing, considering the amount of times we burned stuff in the back garden, oh them were the days when you could have a bonfire, tyres and all:biglaugh:)

Guest Libby1971

I am guessing that you are maybe halfway through your shift, and are pining for something sugary to make it worthwhile. Not sure about the sour cherry part but give me something with choc and I'll be on the same table as you

Guest Libby1971

Two penneth, here he come.

I have no real issue with the ban on platic bags. However they are handy when there are messy things to be cleared and you don't want pieces of kitchen roll at risk of flying around your garden.

However, what I think needs addressing first are the traffic lights. It is no wonder there are environmental issues in this country...how many traffic lights do you need here? I think a few roundsabouts might be useful adn stop the waste of resources there, although I hear the SA drivers don't like them very much hence the lights.

Hear hear re the cars. Did you know that SA is the only state in Australia to not have a vehicle test ie like the MOT?

With Peter Garrett out there and getting vocal on rights and responsibilities, I think this govt needs to lead from above rather than bashing us over the head with plastic bag bans etc.

Two penneth, here he come.

I have no real issue with the ban on platic bags. However they are handy when there are messy things to be cleared and you don't want pieces of kitchen roll at risk of flying around your garden.

However, what I think needs addressing first are the traffic lights. It is no wonder there are environmental issues in this country...how many traffic lights do you need here? I think a few roundsabouts might be useful adn stop the waste of resources there, although I hear the SA drivers don't like them very much hence the lights.

Hear hear re the cars. Did you know that SA is the only state in Australia to not have a vehicle test ie like the MOT?

With Peter Garrett out there and getting vocal on rights and responsibilities, I think this govt needs to lead from above rather than bashing us over the head with plastic bag bans etc.

totally agree. I have a theory about the roundabouts though, they are preetty hard to donut away from, hence the lights, still tickles me how they all put pedal to the metal as soon as lights change then slow to 60kmh , :biglaugh:

Guest Trakki

I have no problem with the bag ban although I have now bought a rollof small bin bags to use as carriers for those things that the reusable bags are np good for, like for the kids to put wet stuff in after swimming, when they have other dry clothes sharing the same bag so don't think I am quite doing the right thing!! lol

Also I keep all the bags in the car and then by the time I have got the little ones out of the car I forget the bags. If I do however remember the bags, by the time I have put them in the trolley I don't have as much room for the shopping and with the pathetic size of the trolleys here plus lack of double trolleys shopping is turning into a nightmare, can't wait to go shopping with a baby, 2 and 3 year old!! Oh I could start a whole thread on the crap shopping trolleys when you have children!!!!

They need one with a built in cage at the bottom that the kidlets get locked into with food n toys if you're not ready to be hardline so you can saunter along smiling at your sleeping baby or fast filling trolley without having to lob out what the kids are helpfully putting in.

Guest Trakki

definitely rachel, the problem I will have is that I will have a baby and Joe who I would never dare let walk, all the trolley are ok of you have twins ie 2 babies or 2 toddlers but I have not seen any trolleys with a baby seat and normal seat. I know the practice here is to put a kid in the actual trolley but I don't like doing this and where would I put my shopping? with the child and reusable bags where would the shopping go?? Think a cage underneath it will have to be!!!!

Guest Kazzarazza

Ha, ha - that's coz Australians don't know how to use roundabouts. Just remembering when when lived in Tasmania in the early 90's. They didn't have traffic lights or roundabouts in Devonport - still had hundreds of "unmarked intersections'. The local council started putting in loads of little roundabouts and, no exageration, The Advocate newspaper ran full page spreads for weeks, with diagrams, showing everybody how to use them. :biglaugh: They don't have vehicle testing down there either and, believe me, you might not think it's possible but their fleet is much older than ours.

Guest salisbury massive

You don't have to have your bags packed. Lots of my customers pack their own bags. There's nothing worse than carefully packing bags only to be told, I don't want that there or this here. Its part of the service and something I take very seriously. I pack customers bags as I wish my own were packed. I always ask my customers how they want there bags packed and do my best for them. Not all of us are teenagers who dont give a crap about your eggs and bread ;). All you've got to do is tell them you'll do it yourself. Us checkout chicks love it when customers pack their own bag, we can really scan quick when we are not packing as well.

I really don't care about the plastic bag ban but if i have to say "sorry you'll have to buy bag" for the next 6 weeks I'll scream. Its not like this has happened overnight, people have has 2 years to get to grips with it. I think it should be an Australia wide ban. Here is a tip for you all, buy some big plastic boxes and put them in the boot of the car. Then if you forget your bags, you can put it back in the trolley and at least have something in the boot to stop it all rolling around.

Jo

We do not have MOT testing here in Perth, WA.

However, I never see old cars on the road here. Always amazed at the crappy old cars I see in Adelaide when I visit. Perhaps the wages are low & reflected in the cars people drive. :unsure:

Guest Rob and Clare

I'm here to be shot down but here's what I think I know...

I don't understand the need for a plastic bag ban, they could have changed to bio-degradable plastic bags and charged 20c for them, we use green bags for most of our shopping but do forget when you need to get a handful of things when passing the supermarket. Then there's the green bags that take use a larger carbon footprint to manufacture and longer to degrade, you really have to use these bags a long time to reduce any immision, we get given loads from trade shows, marketing giveaways etc. Green bags though do hold heaps more stuff and are ace to use to carry bits and bobs to parties etc...

My main irritant for the envioroment is junk mail. Just ban it, or tell companies than can only produce a catalogue bi-annually, why are there tonnes of paper delivered to everyhousehold every year, the energy required to manufacture this and deliver it is massive.

Guest Kazzarazza

My main irritant for the envioroment is junk mail. Just ban it, or tell companies than can only produce a catalogue bi-annually, why are there tonnes of paper delivered to everyhousehold every year, the energy required to manufacture this and deliver it is massive.

Have to agree with the junk mail - hate it. We have a No Junk Mail sticker on our mail box and we still, sometimes, get the dreaded stuff.

Personally,i think that it is a good idea.

i to have serious concerns about the lack of MOT testing here as the emissions and some of the seriously dodgy cars on the road are a serious health risk.Thank god for so many trees to balance things a little.

Another annoying thing here are the use of woodburners.Near us a lot of people have them and the choking smoke that bellows out is awful,particularly as me and daughter both have quite bad asthma.

Adelaide is such a paradox ,so forward thinking in some respects ,but woefully backwards in others.

Sue

Guest TC for short

In Victoria there is no MOT unless you sell the car. Then it needs a Certificate of Roadworthiness which has to have been issued no longer than 30 days prior to the sale. It still doesn't really help as you can hang on to a car until it falls apart - just don't sell it!

Woodburners here are a necessity as there's no double glazing or central heating!

China's per capita carbon emission is, I think, 20% (1/5) that of Australia. There is a possibility that China might leave the rest of the world standing in the green movement - there's a HUGE push on renewable energy & wind turbines are so popular that people are even going to windfarms for their wedding photos!

I'm very glad to see the back of the bags. It's not just the energy used to create them but the amount of litter they create too. Bring back sisal!

TC