Obscure questions

Guest yisawoo

Guest yisawoo

I don't know if this is a Lincolnshire thing or just my friends and family but..... if we see a magpie, we have to salute it or you will have doom and gloom for the rest of your miserable life etc etc, does anyone know of any strange customs in Oz?

Also John wants to know what is a traditional Aussie Sunday dinner, typical bloke thinking of his stomach.

Sorry for mad post but these questions need to be addressed!!!:P

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Yisa

I believe theres something similar involving wildlife, if you're a Roadtrain driver and you see a kangaroo in the road you speed up and splatter it all over your roo bars............ not quite so pleasant as saluting magpies mind you ;) and as for the Sunday roast, well I'm sure you can cook whatever you like on a Sunday just as long as the lamb is not from New Zealand:D

:D

Guest deb and stoo

Yo Ali

I can see a great business oppurtunity here, following the Roadtrains scraping up the Roo's and selling them to the local takeaways

Guest stufi1997

I'd imagine it would probably be something like "Never never lay your stubby down before it's finished". and Sunday lunch well that would be Beer !!:D:cool: Stu.

Guest stufi1997
My husband tap dances when he sees a spider....does that count?

Spider-squashingly yours,

LC

Only if he really enjoys it and its not just a passing fetish!!;):P

Guest Guest75

Hiya

That Magpie tradition does not exist here:)

There is a tradition of "Duck from the angry nesting Magpies" during the breeding season though;)

The traditional Sunday lunch exists at Tyke Towers,Mrs Tyke has perfect puddings;)

Guest dglamoore
Yo Ali

I can see a great business oppurtunity here, following the Roadtrains scraping up the Roo's and selling them to the local takeaways

already done here - they are called schnitzels ;) works for roadkill too :P

We never done the sunday roast thing in uk and still don't - just whatever we fancy on the day

Lisa:cool:

Guest jen&ian

Hiya,

I do the saluting magpies thing too, mainly because my mum always did it when I was a kid:o, she's from Yorkshire. I think the tradition may change a bit in Adelaide, more like beat the magpie off with a stick:eek:.

Jen:)

Guest Russfamily

a polite australian custom is when passing a bar/pub u must enter and buy a beer

1 pot = 15 mins

4 pots = 1hr

12 pots = verbal abuse from wife

Guest Guest75
a polite australian custom is when passing a bar/pub u must enter and buy a beer

1 pot = 15 mins

4 pots = 1hr

12 pots = verbal abuse from wife

:D:D

The rolling pin does get bigger as you work down this list..

There is also the One for the road and the Cleansing Ale to consider.:D

Guest ali@51
Yo Ali

You could call it "splat and fry"

Guest graandjac

i have one when you see a fellow flaming galaha you have to buy them a beer...........and another...............and another what do you think stoo

Guest dale_jo@
My husband tap dances when he sees a spider....does that count?

Spider-squashingly yours,

LC

I too Tap Dance,Scream, Run when i see a spider & I have lived here all my life! Trying not to bring my daughter with the Same fear i have!!!

Guest deb and stoo

Yo fellow Gallah's and all PIA dudes

Love the sound of this tradition and Deb wants to know does this also apply to the ladies of the FGGWWATAS :Dtoo think theres going to be a lot of us chasing parrots around with a box of matches.;)

Guest deb and stoo

Yo Gallah dude

Means I'll not be buying beers then as its always on me, am very proud to whip it out and show people that ask :D

;)