Coming In August to Validate

mathijohn

Hi everyone, just looking for some tips, were coming mid August to validate, suggestions please on what we should be looking to achieve? What sort of clothes to pack etc. noted you had a very cold spell last August but the year before you had at least one day hit 30 - will it be bikini or balaclava do you think?

Any suggestions much appreciated, just wish our house would sell and we wouldn't have to come back.

Moira

Guest Guest75

Hi Moira.

I'd be erring on the side of cool for August.

It's a cool place any way but you know what I mean.

August can be wet and windy (we need the rain!)

At least you will see Adelaide at it's worst.

I have seen people leave just because of the cooler winter months here.

The main things to achieve would be :

A lot of driving,no doubt you have some suburbs in mind but be fair to yourself and have a good wander around.Adelaide and surround towns covers a large area.

Work and schools will fairly dictate where you live.If you really do find the right suburb for you it might be worthwhile checking out the local schools.:)

Try and make some contacts in your field of work.

Buy a street map - and make notes on the areas - great when you return for reference.

Hi everyone, just looking for some tips, were coming mid August to validate, suggestions please on what we should be looking to achieve? What sort of clothes to pack etc. noted you had a very cold spell last August but the year before you had at least one day hit 30 - will it be bikini or balaclava do you think?

Any suggestions much appreciated, just wish our house would sell and we wouldn't have to come back.

Moira

hi moira & john, looking forward to you guys coming over. The weather in august isnt the best but theres still no other place we'd rather be. Bring jeans rain jacket etc warm stuff.

cx

Layers, layers and more layers - once acclimatised to the climate here, we think it's cold in August, but coming from the UK you may well think it's pleasantly balmy when it hits 16 degrees!

I'd recommend looking at possible employers/possible schools and then possible suburbs. If I read your siggie correctly, your son is 15 so his happiness and settling will be a major factor - does he have particular hobbies/talents (music, particular sports etc) as that may well help you determine which schools you consider.

Home2Home have helped quite a few people on reccies recently so if there's anything we can help you with, feel free to give us a call.

Moira

Do alot of reasearch mate,

where your work might be/how far you willing to travel

Do you need to be near shops

near schools

whats the transport like

near beach

do you wanna travel to work or travel to the beach which is more important

crime

hospitals

anything else mate just ask away, the guys on here are awesome and will offer help/advice some good some bad, some biased some non biased.

but it all helps.

HG

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Moira

Definately bring warm clothes and a coat!!! We did our reccie last August and I was freezing cold!! It wasn't too bad in the daytime 17/18 degrees but at night, by gum, it's cold!!!! I know it sounds ridiculous, but it really is a different kind of cold here, just like it's a different kind of heat, and for some reason 16/17 here feels much much cooler that that temp in the UK. As others have said, you need to look at suburbs to live in, areas to work in and areas with good schools. Also try to fit it a couple of meet ups if you can, to meet a few of us off here for a cuppa and a chin wag!!

Mandy

Hi everyone, we are making our validation visit in August as well, maybe we can arrange a meet up? We are a little older (in our 50's), and not bringing children (they're grown up) but we would be glad of the help and support of those of you who have 'done the move' already.

Roll on August!

thanks for all this really helpful advice guy's.

Another question I have, were flying with Cathay Pacific,via Hong Kong, 6 hr stop over. Has anyone used the Travellers lounge there, also any idea on their charges for excess baggage.

thanks

Moira

Guest Emu

Hi, Can you get 40Kg each with the airline? It might be worth asking. Also you could try the company Excess bagagge and send the extra bags ahead of you? They have a counter at Heathrow, not sure if is cheaper that way or not.

At night is very cold, in the UK we used to central heating and walk around at home in a tshirt. Here the houses have no central heating, so it gets cold. I already find it very cold.

Guest spod

Hi all, my family myself(maria 40) husband (mike 47) son (James 19) daughter (carly 18) are all coming over to validate visa in november, our biggest concern is how the children will settle in does anyone have any suggestions about where and how they can meet people of their own age, they both like swimming and clubbing any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :unsure: thanks Maria

Guest The Pottertons

Deffo is really chilly at night.....brrrrr.....i had to go out and buy warm pjs. Ready Penny is right the temps feel so different from the U.K Good Luck, Yvonne x