Britain set for a heatwave.

PetenLainy

It isn't very hot at the moment but it has been very humid.

I think it's good if the government do have plans for hot weather, as old and ill people can suffer tremendously. My Mum was seriously ill in hospital 3 years ago during a spell of very hot humid weather and the hospital was unbearably hot, the patients really suffered. At long last they are actually trialing an air-conditioned train for the London underground.

I know the weather has been awful in the UK the last couple of years but when it does get hot the humidity can make it quite unbearable. Maybe you don't get it the same up in Glasgow. I lived in Scotland for a year and never felt hot.

The summer before we came out here - 2003 - there was a really hot spell in the UK - I remember sitting in our (upstairs) study in a pair of shorts, and heat blisters were coming up on the skin on my legs - we went to Euro Disney the same year, it was about 40 degrees and I have never felt so hot! Here, even when it hits 40, the heat is very dry and doesn't feel quite as bad - although I must admit when our air con broke down on the 43 degree days I was a little frazzled!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob and Clare

I must admit I would rather be in Adelaide for a 42 deg day than the UK for a 32 deg day. It is much more pleasant.

Apart from the fact nearly everywhere is air-conditioned to make it more comfortable there is a measure of temperature to take moisture and wind chill into account. It can be seen on the BOM.gov.au website.

Today for instance in Noarlunga it is 13 degs, but the apparent temp is just 8 degs. Last night was just 2 degs and -3 in the hills. The summer is no different and a 42 deg day is really only 36 degs (still very hot and warmer than the UK) but when you have air-con everywhere it's more manageable.

Guest mayjess

I handled the heat in Adelaide much better than I can here, we seem to feel it more because theres no sea breeze (not where I am) more people closer together, over populated, were like sardines in a tin here, in Adelaide theres lots of space, Ive never seen it chocca on any of the beaches over there even xmas or new year!!!!

Mayjess

Hahaha, heatwave. Wait till you get here!! When the train tracks actually BUCKLE and warp because of the heat. And the electricity companies can't keep up with demand of A/C units. Then they take in rolling blackouts of suburbs for hour-hour and half each!!! Notfun when you got 2 kids and a baby. And your not even allowed to use garden hose to cool down!!! Then it's hot!! lol.

Bloody shame their not set up for winter in Adelaide though either, bloody freezing at night with no double glazing or insulation in the houses, felt like I was camping outside last night!:skeptical:

I have always been amazed at how Adelaide people put on their UGG(ly) boots and 17 layers of clothing, and just tough it out for 4 months. Heating for winter is a must in my book!