The Sea??

Cannons

Hi there,

It's 'cold' now!

Compared to the North Sea it's not! We had a caravan in Skipsea (real Polar Bear country!)

Everything is relative. We lived in Cape Town for a while. They have two oceans at different sides of the peninsula..the Atlantic which is cold (14 to 22 degrees depending upon season) and the Indian ocean (18 to 27 degrees). When we arrived here we were surprised by how warm the water was (we arrived in April). The sea is the Gulf St Vincent. We find it to be really warm and swimable in Summer but 'cold' right now in Winter (wet suit time!).

Tamara

As Tamara says, it's all relative.

Compared to the UK it's much warmer.

Compared to Queensland or the Caribbean it's cool.

I don't like cold water but I used to swim in the sea from December through to the end of March, no problem. Because it is a gulf the water is sheltered. It is colder on the south coast (Victor Harbor way) and absolutely freezing on the Eyre Peninsular !!! (Still went in though). On hot days it is lovely and if you get a shallow protected bit of water on a sandbar then the water can get really warm.

It is cold at the moment, nothing could tempt me in! But we swam in the sea most evenings around 7.30-8pm from when we arrived in early January to the end of March when the clocks changed and I definitely wouldn't describe it as cold, some nights it was like getting into a heated swimming pool! It very much depends on where the tide is coming from. Looking forward to the summer so we can get down there again!

Guest graandjac
What a load of crap........

In summer, nothing better than jumping off th Jetty at Henley and cooling off in the warm sea

:)

Would not go swimming in the Sea right now, its Winter......... but warm enough to walk along the Sea-front most days.

Si

Spot on the sea is fanbloodytastic here in the spring/summer months we are in the sea3-4 times a week, and if you really keen there is a group at our surf life saving club the swim every sunday morning all through the winter:goofy:

Guest nishman

It does depend on time of year and location. Some of the beaches are calmer/shallower and tend to be a little warmer in the hot summer (Pt noarlunga within the reef at low tide for instance).

It never seems to get "warm" (but that may be because on a 40°C day, any sea would feel cold), but it's certainly refreshing.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, some guy at work told me the sea was cold at Adelaide just wanted to know if this was true or not :huh:

Roughly 12-22 degrees winter - summer, as opposed to the UK at 6 - 14. Or, if you prefer, there are outdoor swimming pools.

I dive and use a drysuit in the winter, wetsuit in summer. HAve been told that it is pretty warm in the summer - roll on December.....