Plastic bags

Guest Wersal Gummage

Guest Wersal Gummage

Now I know the last thread on the subject went off the rails a bit so lets keep this one friendly.:wubclub:

I can easily spend $30.00+ in my local Fish and chip shop ( there's 6 of us):) I said could I have a bag please ? they said no we're not allowed to give them away any more, we could sell you one for 10c though.

Now I know these bags are harmful to the environment and all that but does charging you 10c make them less harmful.

It does wind me up, gee whiz give me a free bag with every $30.00 spent FFS. :mad: and no they are not the new dissolve in your hands while you're carrying them in the rain full of shopping type.

Guest Wersal Gummage

Yes you are correct Tyke, but if you forget it's very annoying. why do they cost 10c all of a sudden.

it obviously isn't that I cant afford the 10c I just think it's a bloody liberty.

Guest Guest75
Yes you are correct Tyke, but if you forget it's very annoying. why do they cost 10c all of a sudden.

it obviously isn't that I cant afford the 10c I just think it's a bloody liberty.

Could be an overzealous shop assistant?

Not sure how the By law on bags works - can you still supply them to customers if you charge??

Daft situation!!

:arghh::arghh:

Guest redfoxy

It can be annoying I know...you forget your green bags as I do often !

The other week I bought 2 small photo frames from a shop in Victor and it was a pain !! too big for my hand bag and no shopping bag. So you have to walk in other shops carry the things you already bought else where !

The solution for me is get a bigger hand bag ! But what do men do ?

Guest Libby1971

tescos, asda, waitrose, somerfield, sainsburys...2p a bag or something equally stupid and pathetic and very annoying.

you can still supply them as long as you charge. It is FREE plastic bags that cannot be supplied.

you can still supply them as long as you charge. It is FREE plastic bags that cannot be supplied.

Actually, that's not quite the case - retailers are not allowed to provide (free or otherwise) any of the banned plastic bags any more. They are allowed to provide alternatives - such as recyclable and compostable bags but obviously to the retailer these are more expensive for them, hence why some are passing on some of the cost.

This is the site that has all the details:

http://www.byobags.com.au/About.mvc/BagsAllowed/94

If a retailer provides (free or otherwise) one of the banned types of bags they risk some big fines (http://www.byobags.com.au/About.mvc/RetailerWhatToDo/82)

Hope that helps clarify the situation - although I have to say I think big stores like Target probably makes more than enough profit to be able to offer the compostable bags for free!

Guest The Dimmocks
Have they ? I know Netto do but Asda and Tesco ?

:unsure:

You can still get free bags in Asda, Tesco and Morrison (don't know about the rest as don't use them), but they always ask if you want to buy a 5p reusable one. They very reluctant to give away the free ones, but to be honest when we do a big shop we always take our own as the free ones always rip as soon as something goes in them. Asda (by us) went through a stage early in the year where they wouldn't give out any free bags and you either had to buy a 5p one or use a box. The 5p ones are naff a few things and they full. WHSmith also charge 1p per bag now. Most clothes shops started using paper ones, they all good but when you got one on the side of a double buggy it don't last long. I love my resuable one that folds up into my handbag.

Guest Guest75
Talking of bags,what about some of the bigger stores placing a "Sentry"at the exit who asks if they can look in your bag,see if you nicked owt!What if you tell them to 'KOFFand carry on walking out?Will they call the Police,or Security?

This was discussed a while back.

Having had shops and a lot of "shinkage" I appreciate it and never complain.

Guest Martin and Val
tescos, asda, waitrose, somerfield, sainsburys...2p a bag or something equally stupid and pathetic and very annoying.

Standard plastic bags were and still are free in the UK shops you refer to. You do however have an option to buy a better quality bag if you so wish.

Martin

I still think the idea of giving you a discount off your shopping if you supply your own bags was the best one - even if it was something like 2c for every bag, I'm sure people would appreciate it - after all, the 4c per litre at the petrol station seems very popular!

Guest Libby1971
Actually, that's not quite the case - retailers are not allowed to provide (free or otherwise) any of the banned plastic bags any more. They are allowed to provide alternatives - such as recyclable and compostable bags but obviously to the retailer these are more expensive for them, hence why some are passing on some of the cost.

This is the site that has all the details:

http://www.byobags.com.au/About.mvc/BagsAllowed/94

If a retailer provides (free or otherwise) one of the banned types of bags they risk some big fines (http://www.byobags.com.au/About.mvc/RetailerWhatToDo/82)

Hope that helps clarify the situation - although I have to say I think big stores like Target probably makes more than enough profit to be able to offer the compostable bags for free!

Someone needs to tell Foodland that then coz they are still giving them out, they just don't offer anymore.

I've never been charged for plastic bags in my local Tescos, Sainsburys or Asda. I usually take my own but sometimes you forget or haven't got enough. The plastic bags they give you are recyclable so you can put them in the recycling when they start falling to bits.

I've even been given free of charge, strong re-usable plastic bags from both Sainsburys and Asda, as they are encouraging people to bring their own.

Guest Jo&Phil

I'm looking forward to having my purchased goods parceled up in brown paper and tied with string .... that's what used to happen back in the 'good old days' and it doesn't seem like too bad an idea.