Techy Laptop help needed....

HEAPS GOOD !!!

Good evening peeps, i need some help with my god damn lappy.

I recently put more RAM in to my lappy i am now running it with 2Gb, but it doesn not seem much better than when it was on 1Gb....it is slow and freezes when i run, say You Tube and Facebook.

When i run Ctrl+Alt+Del its comes up with 100% CPU....i have Firefox using alot of RAM, and also summat called Audiodg using alot....

I really hope someone can help me out as i use the lappy to play my tunes and all that...

I am even tempted to sack Vista off and put XP or even a trial version of Windows 7....

Please help a desperate man....

HG

Guest kangomik

I am not a fan of vista, and not a techy on pc, but whats your internet connection?

You can alter some of the settings regarding memory use this sometimes helps

Guest opalrainbow

I'm not sure how much help I can be considering I'm not techy at all and still running on XP, but I had my fair share of similar frustration when I upped my RAM too. Maybe not enough to swtch back to IE, and this is what I found out.

Firefox can be a right memory hog and more likely than not slow right down or hang if you leave it open for too long. More so if you have lots of tabs open, especially so if any contain flash. So you might be better off just using the save and quit option and restarting the browser periodically.

When you've got firefox open, go to Tools and have a look at add ons and see if there are any add ons or extensions you don't really need. Also check on downloads and clear them off if you have too many there.

Also if firefox is slow when you first start you might want to clear temp files etc. I left mine a few days and accrued a staggering amount. I suspect this is down largely to prefetch that Firefox loves to do. It does make for what appears to be faster browsing, but all it's doing is downloading pages it thinks you're likely to want to visit next. More memory. And bandwidth.

You can turn it off by typing about:config in the address bar and promising to be careful.

Then type in network.pref into the filter and you should be able to see:

network.prefetch-next. Double click on this to change the value from true to false.

And while you're in there you can always use the following tweak to turn on pipelining and make the whole thing load pages quicker:)

In the filter bar type network.http. and scroll down to

network.http.pipelining and change the value from false to true.

Then go down to

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests and change the value to 30.

Next find

network.http.proxy.pipelining and change the value from false to true.

Lastly, right click anywhere in the screen and select new, interger and type

nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set its value to 0.

Hope it helps some.

Heaps,............................

are you multitasking? wot processor u using? 2 RAM, use 3 or 4 if running multiple progs.....................

If u wanna use windows 7, wait 3 months so the thing irons out its querks..........then fall in love with the system............

check the connection if freezin.............is it wired or wireless? give us a holler, Andrew will help you...............me i just type;)

Heaps,............................

are you multitasking? wot processor u using? 2 RAM, use 3 or 4 if running multiple progs.....................

If u wanna use windows 7, wait 3 months so the thing irons out its querks..........then fall in love with the system............

check the connection if freezin.............is it wired or wireless? give us a holler, Andrew will help you...............me i just type;)

Thanks for that, right it always happens when i am on Facebook, and listening to choons on YouTube then if i want to paste the tunes into FB it freezes the music and all that crap....when i do CTRL, ALt del it shoes that Firefox sometimes goes upto 40/50 of RAM and this thing called audiodg uses quite a bit too, any help advice and tips will be amazing.

I have got 2Gb ram in my lappy.

Hope this is of some use..

I recently put more RAM in to my lappy i am now running it with 2Gb, but it doesn not seem much better than when it was on 1Gb....it is slow and freezes when i run, say You Tube and Facebook.

When i run Ctrl+Alt+Del its comes up with 100% CPU....i have Firefox using alot of RAM, and also summat called Audiodg using alot....

I really hope someone can help me out as i use the lappy to play my tunes and all that...

I am even tempted to sack Vista off and put XP or even a trial version of Windows 7....

HG

Vista has been Microsoft's first backward step in operating systems since Windows ME. They have forced it onto the consumer market, but business has refused to take it up, and I don't blame them. Windows 7 is apparently better, but as said elsewhere, don't switch until the major bugs are ironed out.

If you really don't mind re-installing, I would go back to Windows XP - still by far the best non-server Windows Operating System - IMO. Make sure you get Service Pack 3 and all subsequent updates immediately though.

Presumably your disk has been recently defragmented and is not nearly full? A fragmented disk would slow you down whatever your RAM, and a nearly full disk can cause hangs.

If your chosen solution from the many suggestions on this forum does not work, try running with 1 GB of RAM. If you have 2x1GB sticks, run with one and then the other, to see if one is faulty - it happens.

Vista has been Microsoft's first backward step in operating systems since Windows ME. They have forced it onto the consumer market, but business has refused to take it up, and I don't blame them. Windows 7 is apparently better, but as said elsewhere, don't switch until the major bugs are ironed out.

If you really don't mind re-installing, I would go back to Windows XP - still by far the best non-server Windows Operating System - IMO. Make sure you get Service Pack 3 and all subsequent updates immediately though.

Presumably your disk has been recently defragmented and is not nearly full? A fragmented disk would slow you down whatever your RAM, and a nearly full disk can cause hangs.

If your chosen solution from the many suggestions on this forum does not work, try running with 1 GB of RAM. If you have 2x1GB sticks, run with one and then the other, to see if one is faulty - it happens.

Hey thanks for your replies,

Bill i have a stick with 2Gb RAM on or the old 1Gb stick that came with my laptop, my laptop does run faster when you open things:) its just as soon as i start to listen to music from on YouTube, this Audiodg.exe thing takes up alot of my Cpu as does Firefox...i even tried usinf IE and it still gives me the same problem:arghh:....i dnt want to go back to my 1Gb stick of RAM as i like the speed now its, when i do music, and i love my music its so annoying...:mad:

Guest Guest75
Hey thanks for your replies,

Bill i love my music its so annoying...:mad:

I've heard it on Facebook - it is annoying.............:biglaugh:

Sorry could not resist that!!!!:P

Heaps,

Takes Anne's advice and ask a professional - if your CPU usage is running at 100% then something's not right so throwing memory at it will not help - could well be spyware etc. but definitely worth fixing.

Vista gets a lot a stick but it's not as bad as everyone says - yes it's a very hungry OS but 2GB should be more than adequate for an everyday system...3GB is a waste if all you do is mail and internet etc. but more RAM cannot decrease performance (and doesn't require a new cpu).

J.

Guest Wersal Gummage

Never fear HG, WG's here:p :P

1st. scan for spyware & Adware.

2nd. go to one of the free online antivirus scanning web sites and run a scan. (choose wisely) Kaspersky and Bitdefender are good.

3rd. go into device manager and uninstall your audio drivers, then go to the actions tab and scan for hardware changes, this will force Vista to reinstall the drivers.

4th. Reboot,

5th. come back and do this :notworthy: when it's fixed :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest graandjac

HG

Martin , have a look on youtube and type in speed up vista there are heaps of tricks, I turned of all the transparent stuff off last week and that alone spead things up ....check it out...

Guest Wersal Gummage

Oh, thats a shame, I had high hopes :confused:

From your original post..

are you getting your CPU and your RAM confused ? I would definatly be concentrating on finding out what process is using 100% of your CPU.

Your computer will be quite usless while that's maxed out.

nothing turn up with the scans ?? antivirus, spyware, adware, ? firewall running.

I would imagine you're getting quite fed up with it by now and had hundreds of suggestions from everyone so I'll sut up now :)

Guest caoimhe
I sorted the audiodg.exe issue out, but when i check my processes it come up with firefosx running at around, 75% or even more, its the same with whatever browser i use....its doing my head in..

HG

If your still having problems Martin let me know, my O/H is a computer geek so I can get him to give you a ring if you want