Your help is needed - Wing Yip curry sauce

jim and adel

Forget the GFC, the vagaries of the weather, the likelihood (or not) of getting a job here in Adelaide; the crucial matter that would-be migrants have to realise is that Wing Yip chinese curry sauce concentrate isn't available in Australia. :mad:

For the uninitiated, this is the ingredient in many of the best chinese chippy curry sauces and the one foodstuff I miss from the UK (okay, if pushed I can name another - a Holland's meat pie - preferably with lashings of Wing Yip curry poured over it). It's stocked by Sainsbury's (usually in the 'speciality' display with fairly obscure stuff) and also available directly from the Wing Yip website:

http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/display-product.php?ref=80380

I've tried the various online British food suppliers and importers but none stock it, and of course I've searched Asian stores here without luck (WY is a British company and unheard of in Chinatown and Central Market). Wing Yip exports to various countries but doesn't post to Aus.

I've checked with AQIS (and have the relevant section of the regulations should anyone wish to peruse these) and as long as it's declared along with any other foods and the jar hasn't been tampered with, then it can be brought in, in much the same way as, say, Marmite.

Adel's brother was under strict instructions to bring some when he visited us and, true to form, duly forgot (and was very nearly frogmarched back onto the plane ...) Therefore, I'm resorting to pleading on here with those about to make the move: can any of you see it in your hearts to find a place in your luggage for a jar or two of the aforementioned food of the gods?

Should you oblige, I will reward handsomely (well, refund the cost!) and my eternal friendship will be yours ... :notworthy:

Yours, more in hope than expectation, Jim

Guest TC for short

Try this -

http://home.lkk.com/product/product_details.asp?cat=3

Lee Kum Kee is a Hong Kong Chinese company & I've used their sauces for a long time (I am half Chinese). If you can't get it in the supermarkets by the Central Market I'm pretty sure you can order over the internet.

Also for barbecues I would recommend Hoi Sin or Char Siu sauces. If you like things a bit more spicy you can add some Gui Lin chilli sauce.

TC

Chinese curry sauce is so easy, quick and cheap to make yourself.

Ingredients

• Good couple of splashes of oil or butter
  • 1 teaspoon five spice powder
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder (medium like madras etc)
  • Half teaspoon chilli powder (or more if you wish)
  • Half teaspoon garlic powder
  • Half teaspoon ginger powder
  • 4 tablespoons plain flour - sifted
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Half a litre of water

Mix all dry ingredients together, warm oil in a pan, add all dry ingredients, this will now bubble up like toffee, (a bubbling roux) cook for 60 seconds add water cook for around 10 mins for taste to develop and get to the right consistency, Hey Presto Chinese Curry Sause.

Obviously this is suited to my taste so try diffrent combinations and amounts ie more chilli more salt etc to get the taste you want.

Then in another pan cook your meet/vegies in a bit of oil with some garlic and ginger add sauce and eat.

This recipe was shown to me by my mate whos dad owned a chinese chip shop in Swansea!

Hope you like it

Enjoy :)

Guest Guest75

:biglaugh:

I had to laugh at this post.

We went through the same thing with Maylower Curry Sauce.

Luvverly "Chinese chippy" flavour.

It does come in dry powder packs.

Might just happen to bring one in from my UK visit.

They have a web site and will ship internationally but I bet it's expensive - I contacted them a few years ago about it but shipping was prohibitive.

Look through their entire site as well:notworthy:

http://www.king-asia.co.uk/productsDetail.asp?productID=75

Guest lastboyscout

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Half a litre of water

Mix all dry ingredients together, warm oil in a pan, add all dry ingredients, this will now bubble up like toffee, (a bubbling roux) cook for 60 seconds add water cook for around 10 mins for taste to develop and get to the right consistency, Hey Presto Chinese Curry Sause.

Obviously this is suited to my taste so try diffrent combinations and amounts ie more chilli more salt etc to get the taste you want.

Then in another pan cook your meet/vegies in a bit of oil with some garlic and ginger add sauce and eat.

This recipe was shown to me by my mate whos dad owned a chinese chip shop in Swansea!

Hope you like it

This weekend Matthew, I`m going to be Gordon Ramsay:D:biglaugh:

Guest lastboyscout
Lol its not exactly Gordon Ramsey LOl :)

Its so easy takes 10 mins try it, a 5 year old could make a chinese curry ;)

It is for me, I could burn a salad :biglaugh:

Guest lastboyscout

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Half a litre of water

Hope you like it

Made some of this last night....................................... OMG ...............................:shocked:

I think the share prices in the spice companies are going to rocket soon :jiggy:

• 7 months later...

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Half a litre of water

Hope you like it

Hey Mydearboy, thanks for the recipe. Will definitely give that one a try. We liked the Goldfish brand Chinese curry sauce concentrate and used to buy it regularly from the Chinese supermarkets in Birmingham. We went down to the central market convinced we would be able to buy the same or similar from there. I searched every grocers shop. Could I find any? Not a sniff. Couldn't believe it:sad:. If I'd realised it was so easy to make my own though, I wouldn't have bothered buying the stuff. We'll see how it turns out!

Guest LEE & DONNA

HI JIM & ADEL. i live three miles from the Manchester store. if you want i could pop in next week and pick you some up and post it to you if you wish, just let me know how many you want, and you can paypal me the cost plus the postage if you want.

hope this helps.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Mydearboy, thanks for the recipe. Will definitely give that one a try. We liked the Goldfish brand Chinese curry sauce concentrate and used to buy it regularly from the Chinese supermarkets in Birmingham. We went down to the central market convinced we would be able to buy the same or similar from there. I searched every grocers shop. Could I find any? Not a sniff. Couldn't believe it:sad:. If I'd realised it was so easy to make my own though, I wouldn't have bothered buying the stuff. We'll see how it turns out!

Update - had a go and know what?, it's bute. Couldn't tell it from the stuff you buy in the shops and so quick and easy. Got approval from the rest of the family and their discerning tastebuds too. I'll never buy Chinese curry sauce again. Thanks again.:D

Guest LOOBYLOO

Tried the recipe on Friday (bit spicy cos used HOT chilli powder) but family loved it served with home-made fried rice. I've been buying the stuff at coles for $4.00 and just enough for 3-4 - with this recipe you can make as much as you need at a fraction of the cost. Thanks.