• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 20
    Like Tree7Likes

    Thread: Your help is needed - Wing Yip curry sauce


    1. #1

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Posts
      1,151
      Liked
      1017 times
      Rep

      Your help is needed - Wing Yip curry sauce

      Forget the GFC, the vagaries of the weather, the likelihood (or not) of getting a job here in Adelaide; the crucial matter that would-be migrants have to realise is that Wing Yip chinese curry sauce concentrate isn't available in Australia.

      For the uninitiated, this is the ingredient in many of the best chinese chippy curry sauces and the one foodstuff I miss from the UK (okay, if pushed I can name another - a Holland's meat pie - preferably with lashings of Wing Yip curry poured over it). It's stocked by Sainsbury's (usually in the 'speciality' display with fairly obscure stuff) and also available directly from the Wing Yip website:

      http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/displa....php?ref=80380

      I've tried the various online British food suppliers and importers but none stock it, and of course I've searched Asian stores here without luck (WY is a British company and unheard of in Chinatown and Central Market). Wing Yip exports to various countries but doesn't post to Aus.

      I've checked with AQIS (and have the relevant section of the regulations should anyone wish to peruse these) and as long as it's declared along with any other foods and the jar hasn't been tampered with, then it can be brought in, in much the same way as, say, Marmite.

      Adel's brother was under strict instructions to bring some when he visited us and, true to form, duly forgot (and was very nearly frogmarched back onto the plane ...) Therefore, I'm resorting to pleading on here with those about to make the move: can any of you see it in your hearts to find a place in your luggage for a jar or two of the aforementioned food of the gods?

      Should you oblige, I will reward handsomely (well, refund the cost!) and my eternal friendship will be yours ...

      Yours, more in hope than expectation, Jim

    2. #2
      TC for short
      Try this -

      http://home.lkk.com/product/product_details.asp?cat=3

      Lee Kum Kee is a Hong Kong Chinese company & I've used their sauces for a long time (I am half Chinese). If you can't get it in the supermarkets by the Central Market I'm pretty sure you can order over the internet.

      Also for barbecues I would recommend Hoi Sin or Char Siu sauces. If you like things a bit more spicy you can add some Gui Lin chilli sauce.

      TC

    3. #3

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Posts
      467
      Liked
      142 times
      Rep
      Chinese curry sauce is so easy, quick and cheap to make yourself.


      Ingredients
      • Good couple of splashes of oil or butter
      • 1 teaspoon five spice powder
      • 3 tablespoons curry powder (medium like madras etc)
      • Half teaspoon chilli powder (or more if you wish)
      • Half teaspoon garlic powder
      • Half teaspoon ginger powder
      • 4 tablespoons plain flour - sifted
      • 1 teaspoon Sugar
      • 1 teaspoon Salt
      • Half a litre of water
      Mix all dry ingredients together, warm oil in a pan, add all dry ingredients, this will now bubble up like toffee, (a bubbling roux) cook for 60 seconds add water cook for around 10 mins for taste to develop and get to the right consistency, Hey Presto Chinese Curry Sause.

      Obviously this is suited to my taste so try diffrent combinations and amounts ie more chilli more salt etc to get the taste you want.

      Then in another pan cook your meet/vegies in a bit of oil with some garlic and ginger add sauce and eat.

      This recipe was shown to me by my mate whos dad owned a chinese chip shop in Swansea!

      Hope you like it

      Enjoy :)

    4. #4

      Title
      Guest
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Posts
      8,451
      Liked
      4457 times
      Rep

      Talking



      I had to laugh at this post.
      We went through the same thing with Maylower Curry Sauce.
      Luvverly "Chinese chippy" flavour.
      It does come in dry powder packs.

      Might just happen to bring one in from my UK visit.

      They have a web site and will ship internationally but I bet it's expensive - I contacted them a few years ago about it but shipping was prohibitive.

      Look through their entire site as well

      http://www.king-asia.co.uk/productsD...p?productID=75

    5. #5

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Was Walsall now Redwood Park NE Adelaide
      Posts
      551
      Liked
      97 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by mydearboy View Post
      Chinese curry sauce is so easy, quick and cheap to make yourself.



      Ingredients
      • Good couple of splashes of oil or butter
      • 1 teaspoon five spice powder
      • 3 tablespoons curry powder (medium like madras etc)
      • Half teaspoon chilli powder (or more if you wish)
      • Half teaspoon garlic powder
      • Half teaspoon ginger powder
      • 4 tablespoons plain flour - sifted
      • 1 teaspoon Sugar
      • 1 teaspoon Salt
      • Half a litre of water
      Mix all dry ingredients together, warm oil in a pan, add all dry ingredients, this will now bubble up like toffee, (a bubbling roux) cook for 60 seconds add water cook for around 10 mins for taste to develop and get to the right consistency, Hey Presto Chinese Curry Sause.

      Obviously this is suited to my taste so try diffrent combinations and amounts ie more chilli more salt etc to get the taste you want.

      Then in another pan cook your meet/vegies in a bit of oil with some garlic and ginger add sauce and eat.

      This recipe was shown to me by my mate whos dad owned a chinese chip shop in Swansea!

      Hope you like it

      Enjoy :)

      This weekend Matthew, I`m going to be Gordon Ramsay:D

    6. #6

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Posts
      467
      Liked
      142 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by lastboyscout View Post
      This weekend Matthew, I`m going to be Gordon Ramsay:D
      Lol its not exactly Gordon Ramsey LOl :)

      Its so easy takes 10 mins try it, a 5 year old could make a chinese curry ;)

    7. #7

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Was Walsall now Redwood Park NE Adelaide
      Posts
      551
      Liked
      97 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by mydearboy View Post
      Lol its not exactly Gordon Ramsey LOl :)

      Its so easy takes 10 mins try it, a 5 year old could make a chinese curry ;)

      It is for me, I could burn a salad

    8. #8

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Was Walsall now Redwood Park NE Adelaide
      Posts
      551
      Liked
      97 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by mydearboy View Post
      Chinese curry sauce is so easy, quick and cheap to make yourself.



      Ingredients
      • Good couple of splashes of oil or butter
      • 1 teaspoon five spice powder
      • 3 tablespoons curry powder (medium like madras etc)
      • Half teaspoon chilli powder (or more if you wish)
      • Half teaspoon garlic powder
      • Half teaspoon ginger powder
      • 4 tablespoons plain flour - sifted
      • 1 teaspoon Sugar
      • 1 teaspoon Salt
      • Half a litre of water
      Mix all dry ingredients together, warm oil in a pan, add all dry ingredients, this will now bubble up like toffee, (a bubbling roux) cook for 60 seconds add water cook for around 10 mins for taste to develop and get to the right consistency, Hey Presto Chinese Curry Sause.

      Obviously this is suited to my taste so try diffrent combinations and amounts ie more chilli more salt etc to get the taste you want.

      Then in another pan cook your meet/vegies in a bit of oil with some garlic and ginger add sauce and eat.

      This recipe was shown to me by my mate whos dad owned a chinese chip shop in Swansea!

      Hope you like it

      Enjoy :)
      Made some of this last night....................................... OMG ...............................

      I think the share prices in the spice companies are going to rocket soon

    9. #9

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Posts
      467
      Liked
      142 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by lastboyscout View Post
      Made some of this last night....................................... OMG ...............................

      I think the share prices in the spice companies are going to rocket soon

      Nice isnt it LOL :)

    10. #10

      Title
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      Was Walsall now Redwood Park NE Adelaide
      Posts
      551
      Liked
      97 times
      Rep
      It is VERY nice ;)

     

  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums