Vegetarian Food

Guest The Pickles

Guest The Pickles

Hi there

Can anyone recommend any stores with a good selection of vegetarian 'meat style' type of products (Vegie Delights or Frys perhaps)

So far we've only done grocery shopping in the Woolworths in Hallett Cove and wonder if there is anywhere with a little bit more to offer...

Thanks!

Guest Django

Coles is generally better, though not much, than Woolworths. Have to say the choice is no where near as good as the UK as far as veggie stuff is concerned. I find its best DIYing using tofu and pulses that are easy to come by.

Pete

Guest the4hopes

We have just discovered that Foodland in Blackwood sell Frys burgers and sausages! We have toured other Foodlands but no luck so far, Woolworths in Harbour Town have them, and also Foodworks in Glenelg.They also do Redwood products.

Coles and Foodland do Veggie delights. If you want plain tofu, go to the Asian stores as they do the big blocks for about $3.50.

And if you want a good veggie cafe try Bliss organic in Compton street in the city. I know of more if you are interested! I have personal connections with Bliss so I like to recommend it!!!

Laura

Guest The Pickles

Thanks Pete & Laura (please feel free to give us more info)!

We used to live on Quorn in the UK and even fooled the meat eating parents with a homemade Quorn mince shepherds pie! We would be SO thrilled (easily pleased?) if Quorn became available here but I don't think that'll happen...:arghh:

Guest soggy

Hi,

have you tried asian shops? my daughter ( a veggie ) shops at the asian supermarket between the central market and the food hall, I oftern eat what she cooks and love it ( i'm a meat eater). If you do go to central market try the vegan place in the main food hall, very good ( try a crepe from the place next to it too;) ).

Simon:)

Guest Trakki

We used to live on Quorn in the UK and even fooled the meat eating parents with a homemade Quorn mince shepherds pie! We would be SO thrilled (easily pleased?) if Quorn became available here but I don't think that'll happen...:arghh:

We use Quorn alot too and do miss it. I am not veggie, Pete is but I don't really like Beef but love spag bol with Quorn!!! You never know it may come over one day.

Guest rachinadelaide

Howdee fellow veggos!

We have changed our habits since we came here - there aren't as many meat substitutes so we don't buy and eat as many! At first we were disappointed but with hindsight it's probably much healthier not to have them...

Howver... The Central market houses a large asian supermarket (at the back of one of the food halls - the food hall with the vegan food - mmmmm) and it sells tofu and tempeh burgers. They are really nice. You will find them elsewhere but much pricier. In the freezer they have a range of veggie 'meats' all loaded with msg and other nasties but wonderful as a quick and easy, chuck it in a stirfry sort of thing.

As for cafes and restaurants - Joy Discovery just behind the Austral (rundle st) is great and Sarah's restaurant on semaphore road does stunning food - all seasonal. There is a new. fantastic and cheap veggie cafe called Carrot heads (or something!!) in Port Adelaide Mall. It sells gorgeous pasties and quiches. Mmmmm.

I have found a few recipes (since being here) that I whip up whenever I have a spare hour or 2 so we have our convenience food in the freezer. If you want copies - just let me know. I won't disgust the carnivores just yet...

Rach

I also recommend the Chinatown/Central Market area for anything vegetarian food related. There are also a number of excellent restaurants in Adelaide which while not specifically catering for vegetarians do have a lot of stuff for them (because they're Asian, Indian or Middle Eastern).

One rather hidden restaurant in Adelaide which has been around for decades and most newcomers would not know about is called Jerusalem. It's in Hindley Street, and of course being a Middle Eastern restaurant you can find a lot of things on their menu you'd like as a vegetarian. I highly recommend it, it's a bit of a legendary place here because the same people have run it for a long time and the interior has not changed, nor has the high quality of the food!

PS. Since when do we let vegetarians into the country? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

hi, try the Sanitarium products, at Foodland, Woolworths etc, see their website for range

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/vegetarian-foods/

about spaghetti bolognese and soya mince, I can't find frozen one so I buy dried one, is very good and easy to cook, doesnt take to long, is from a company called Select Naturals 02 9728 8500.

I bought it in a health food store in Castle Plaza, Edwardstown (but not worth making a trip there unless you live nearby). They also have it at the beginning of Rundle Mall if you coming from King William, there is a small health food store there, but is slightly more expensive there.

I found this great Tofu nuggets at Foodland in Pasadena that you can eat uncooked in salads or cooked with noodles.

If you find more let us know.

Guest the4hopes

Just a reminder Bliss organic cafe in Compton street just behind Central market (Gouger street) great menu of veggie meals, daytime and fri evening. Also veggie products for sale.

Laura

Guest Lauren & Alan

Oh NO!!! I didnt consider quorn might not be available!

We will be over sometime next year. Maybe I should contact them and be a rep to get it in stores!!LOL