Buying Bikes

Cannons

Hi All,

Me and my wife will be looking to start getting fitter and healthier once we get to oz (at least thats the idea!) and will be looking to get bikes but wasn't sure if it would be cheaper to buy them before we come or are they quite reasonably priced over there?

Thanks

Derek

Hi Guys.

I would wait till u come over. I managed to get a bike for myself and my daughter for just under $100. Obviously not top of the range but i just wanted something to get us out and about.

I'd definitely recommend buying them here. It's easy to find second hand bikes in the local papers, and many bike shops also sell second hand bikes from people who have upgraded.

I'd recommend two shops in the CBD: Bicycle Express in Halifax Street, and Super Elliots in Rundle Street.

Your profile says you're in Scotland. I don't know what the road/cycling environment is like there but I warn you that drivers here are not friendly towards cyclists and "bike lanes" here literally mean nothing. Drivers will drive in the bike lanes everywhere.

I have visited many countries in Europe and I'd strongly suggest to any newcomers that they walk or drive around the city and keep an eye out for cyclists and bike lanes, and pay particular attention to the lack of respect shown towards cyclists before riding around on a bike. This applies primarily to main roads and busy periods in the city.

To avoid the road hazards, I'd recommend taking your bike to the River Torrens Linear Park - that has bike tracks running all the way from the hills in the North East down through the City to Henley Beach - you obviously have to watch out for walkers and dogs (and other cyclists!) but it's a lot less stressful than worrying about cars! Don't forget it's against the law to cycle without a cycle helmet on (and pretty silly also) and you need a bell to warn people with!

Bicycle SA organise camping/cycling weekends for the whole family usually over Easter - they sort out all the food, and organise various graded rides. Very friendly lot, and popular with singles, couples and families. They also organise other events throughout the year. http://www.bikesa.asn.au/

To avoid the road hazards, I'd recommend taking your bike to the River Torrens Linear Park - that has bike tracks running all the way from the hills in the North East down through the City to Henley Beach

Once you're at the river outlet you can actually ride all the way to South Brighton on bike paths now, they've only been completed in the last year or two but it makes for a nice ride along the coast as well. :)

Guest back clan

We asked shipping agents about this as we have shipped our daughters bike but mine and Ians are really old and starting to rust. They advised us not to buy in the uk as we would have to declare them as new and possibly pay import duty. We are getting them when we get there.

Hope this helps. Lesley