Am I just too relaxed with just 3 weeks & 5 days to go?

Guest MarkIngram

Guest MarkIngram

I am currently wondering if I am behaving in the normal fashion...we leave for our new life in Adelaide on the 27th Oct....we've still not heard if we have got OAA and have not sorted out a back up plan...no jobs sorted out yet...and the exchange rate is a pile of pants....but I feel so laid back about everything and seem more concerned with the fact that I'm turning 35 a week from today.

Is this normal or have I just become the most laid back person in the world?

Mark

I am currently wondering if I am behaving in the normal fashion...we leave for our new life in Adelaide on the 27th Oct....we've still not heard if we have got OAA and have not sorted out a back up plan...no jobs sorted out yet...and the exchange rate is a pile of pants....but I feel so laid back about everything and seem more concerned with the fact that I'm turning 35 a week from today.

Mark

If it makes you feel better, we are leaving on the 23rd of November, don't have jobs, house sold for 50K less than two years ago and the exchange rate is more than pants.... do have accommodation sorted as family - so won't be homeless but I'm more worried about accomplishing all the last minute stuff here than what's going to happen over there. On the other hand - we have a cross-cultural marriage so for me it's my 4th country anyway and it's always worked out and when we've wanted the change we've done it. As for exchange - my inlaws have moved back and forth 3 times to Australia and sometimes taken big hits and sometimes made huge gains - so you win some and you lose some. ( I think we are losing...)

Liz

As Kris says it sounds like you're in the Aussie way already. Although you might want to start making plans for accommodation just in case the OAA doesn't go your way!

Happy birthday for next week and good luck with your impending emigration...not long now and you should be arriving to some proper spring weather by then.

Best wishes

Dette and family. :)

Mark

no, it's not normal , PANIC,

Simon:)

Guest MarkIngram

hahahaha...some great responses. I think I've definately adopted the Aussie mentality (although I've always been fairly laid back - I think this is a Devonshire trait)....after the year I've decided that I'm not going to stress about things as they tend to take care of themselves most of the time.

Everyone says its a rollercoaster, so you must be at the good bit at the moment.

We are hoping to move out in November (just need the lawyers handling our house sale to start working at a pace faster than a snail), and some days I feel really relaxed about the whole thing and others days I'm panicking. I've lived there before and know loads of people so it's not such a big thing as going out and knowing nobody, but we haven't got jobs and as you say the exchange rate is terrible, we would have been so much better off if we'd done this a couple of years ago. I've given up worrying about that as there's nothing I can do about it.

It's a big adventure so you might as well enjoy it. If you can do all this and still feel relaxed than count yourself lucky!!

Guest MarkIngram

The only stress I've had has been caused by other factors and nothing to do with the move to Oz at all...even our house sale didn't get to me.....I've been to get my pulse checked as maybe I'm not well. :)

No doubt I'll go through some emotions in the next week or so - off to say the goodbyes to my side of the family down south....that will be tough.

Guest kangomik

Mark we did exactly the same thing, thankfuly the OAA came through 7 days before we flew !!!

No jobs no friends no relies............well no rellies till we got here and found a few...... we thought the exchange rate was bad at 2.10, it must seem dire now!

Enjoy the trip, look at hotels (pubs) for back up late accom, then look at rentals.....fingers crossed the oaa will come

We are in the same position. Leaving on 3 November. Sometimes I feel remarkably calm but have more moments where I feel physically sick. Keep thinking of all the stuff that is left to do and wondering if there is enough time to get it done.

We were due to come in June but had some problems which meant we had to change our plans and as everything was already in place but just on hold I think I lulled myself into a false sense of security but it has really crept up on us.

I think that next week I will start on my breakdown!!!!! :arghh::):arghh::eek:

Guest MarkIngram

well, just 22 short days until we start our journey to our new life down under...I can't really explain how I feel about it all....it's almost as if it isn't happening to us at all but someone we know.

Still waiting to hear on OAA.....flight tickets will be here in the next few days...maybe it'll all start to sink in then.

Off down to Bristol to see some of the folks next week...that may well hit it home a little also - we'll see.

Guest Woody and Jane

We also fly out to Adelaide on 3rd Nov from Manchester via Heathrow and Singapore. Jane's finished work and I finish in two weeks. We're now just waiting to hear about OAA. It's not a big deal if we don't get it but it would make things so much easier. Neither of us has a job lined up although Jane has a couple of interviews this week, one on the phone, the other a video call via Skype.

Ordinarily not having a job lined up would stress me but I just can't wait to get out in the sun and go for a stroll down the beach. All worries seem to have gone out the window and we can’t wait to embrace the Aussie way of life.

We also fly out to Adelaide on 3rd Nov from Manchester via Heathrow and Singapore. Jane's finished work and I finish in two weeks. We're now just waiting to hear about OAA. It's not a big deal if we don't get it but it would make things so much easier. Neither of us has a job lined up although Jane has a couple of interviews this week, one on the phone, the other a video call via Skype.

Ordinarily not having a job lined up would stress me but I just can't wait to get out in the sun and go for a stroll down the beach. All worries seem to have gone out the window and we can’t wait to embrace the Aussie way of life.

Hi Woody and Jane, what flight are you on from Heathrow, we are on the 10pm one so might see you there. We also have no jobs to go to but are staying with a friend when we get there so that takes away some of the worry there. We are hoping to go northern suberbs which is all we know really but will make the final decision once we get there. good luck to Jane with her interviews and to you both for your new life!

Margaret

Guest Woody and Jane
Hi Woody and Jane, what flight are you on from Heathrow, we are on the 10pm one so might see you there. We also have no jobs to go to but are staying with a friend when we get there so that takes away some of the worry there. We are hoping to go northern suberbs which is all we know really but will make the final decision once we get there. good luck to Jane with her interviews and to you both for your new life!

Margaret

Hi Margaret, we're on the 9:15pm to Singapore. You might be able to spot us by the big smiles on our faces though.