new arrivals and people on Recce's????

Guest kangomik

Guest kangomik

I was wondering how the new people found the conversion rate at the moment.

On everything from food to homes, do you find things more expensive than back in blighty or cheaper, and for those offered work how do the wages compare (exact numbers not needed)

It's intresting to see exchange rates change over the last 5 or 6 years from 3 to 1 to 1.75 to 1 of late.

Guest Guest75
I was wondering how the new people found the conversion rate at the moment.

On everything from food to homes, do you find things more expensive than back in blighty or cheaper, and for those offered work how do the wages compare (exact numbers not needed)

It's intresting to see exchange rates change over the last 5 or 6 years from 3 to 1 to 1.75 to 1 of late.

Are you flaming psychic or am I just mental Mik??

Thinking a similar -ish thought today.

One clue is the lack of people talking about having a pool built.;);)

Well I think we have been some of the lucky ones regarding jobs. I got one 2 weeks after we moved here.

Our salaries are better than we earned back in the UK - mine has doubled! We find it a great help we are paid fortnightly as well!

We think food is cheaper - meat really cheap and so are fruit and veg. I love the fact you can buy veal! I do think toiletries are more expensive and boy do I wish I'd sent a boat load of piriton over - I find the cost of anti-histemines so expensive. As I am being eaten alive and have hayfever - its costing me a small fortune!

Our rental per month is what our mortgage costs at home - however, we have more for our money, ie detatched / bigger house and a street away from the beach - couldn't ask for better than that.

Public transport is so much cheaper and I dont think petrol is too bad either

All in all we are better off here thank in the uK and we don't intend on returning (except for hols!)

Lisa

Guest ben&sharon

I agree with a lot of Lisa's points:

I also got a job very soon after landing. Haven't had the good fortune to double my salary (that WOULD be nice - might speak to the boss.....:idea:), but it actually works out as slightly more pay than for the equivalent role that I held in the UK. OH is in retail, which he's never done before, so don't really have a comparison.

I've always bought fresh food, so I find the choice here great and the prices are way cheaper once you get savvy to the special offers..... I'm also starting to get used to planning my menu around what's fresh and on 'special', rather than deciding what I want ahead of time 'cos it's always available!

Toiletries are a pain, though - I'm a big fan of Roc, and can't find the creams I use, so I'm going to have to get those sent over at great expense...... At some point I'll brave another brand, but it's been a long relationship. :( Nappies and baby wipes are horrifically priced as well - thank god my little boy's getting closer to not needing them!

Our mortgage is slightly cheaper than back home; although we borrowed less, the interest rate is higher, so the savings aren't great. But on the plus side, we're having a load of work done to the house and the quote was WAY below what we'd have paid for it in the UK, because the labour rates are so much lower.....

My little Mazda 2 costs $35 to fill up and gets me to and from work for two weeks for that (around 400ks), plus some running around at weekend - so no complaining on the fuel front!!!

Best thing? My favourite South Australian reds are about half the price in Dan Murphys that Sainsbury's used to charge........ Happy Days!! ;)

Sharon.

I agree with Lisa and Sharon too. I got offered a job in my second week here, i don't start till Feb though, which is nice, and the salary is better than i had in the UK, however i have dropped a few hours, so will earn about the same. Jim is doing bricklaying at the moment, but as he is currently doing his license, his salary is lower than what it could be when he gets his license. I think he was also very lucky in the UK and always had high pay. However, he is moving into a new job next month so hopefull he should earn more.

Meat, veg and fish here i think is good prices, but again like the others have said toilettries are dearer.

Public transport is really cheap, and petrol is a goood price too.

Our rental here is about the same price that we paid in the uk, but we have a big house and fantastic view of the sea.

There is nothing really that i could complain about!!!

Mel

xx

Guest kangomik

Hey guys thanks for answering honestly.

I know people on the way and people thinking of starting the adventure will use this info.

It's intresting to see you still find some things cheap, even with less dollars for the pounds.

Tyke i think we are both mental mate ;)

Guest Guest75
well done baby i agree with you its ashame they didnt show the only real relationship, end of the day ive got you so it dont matter and i love you xxxx

What is the relevance to the thread with this post please??:huh: