Are things cheap, or expensive?

Guest kangomik

Guest kangomik

Once again i ask how the new comers find prices here in SA. Are things expensive or cheaper than the UK?

In the same light are you paid more here than you where in the UK?

to add my peneth worth i went to watch a day at the test match between Aus and the Windies and it cost me $38 = £19 now you cnt do that in the yUK....the beer was $5.60 = £2.80 a pint, Crisps £3 = £1.50 ( big bag ) and for dinner we had a vindaloo curry for $12 = £6...all in all not bad for a day at an international game of cricket...

HG

must agree that the costs of going to sports is good.we go to the afl $34 a ticket for a good seat son gets in for $2.75 under 14 and a free bus to the ground.even the kids sports clubs are good value i think.auskick $40 and you get $40 worth of goodies,nippers $110 family membership or $60 kids and they get 2 hrs beach training every week for 6 months.as for food and stuff ive no idea the wife does that and gives me my pocket money if theres any left.

asking newcomers might not be the right thing to do

we arrived 7 weeks ago and we are still trying to figure lots of things out.

and that's why we probably pay much more than we have to.

but by asking around and being able to actually compare prices i am finding my way around slowly :goofy:

AND the first few months you spend spend spend anyways ....

but i discovered a ride on the train from noarlunga to city centre costs $7.80 for 2 adults and 2 kids - beat that!

Sheesh, with HG on this; now where's my tin hat???

As in other threads, it depends what you buy, where and when..............

it sure isnt Tesco or Sainsbury land here in Oz, but i reckon the quality is as good, and sometimes even better.......................

OMG shoes are soooo expensive, and a bit naff actually, now wonder these aussies go barefoot or wear thongs all year round!!:arghh:

I grow some fruit and veg......just easier here to do it

dont get me on shoes and decent clothes:biglaugh: oh and second hand cars wtf's all that about :biglaugh:and bananas $5 a kilo!!:shocked: blah blah blah lol (ps if you find the one week window cauliflowers are worth buying to eat rather than as a luxory item to look at because its cost you so much he he)

But....petrols not bad, care insurance cheap, my household bills are cheaper, no tv licence or council tax (if you rent) no monthly water bill yey!! So scales balances = happy bunny with crap shoes !:)

For those bargain hunters in the eastern burbs......................

There is a grocers/ farmers shop on St Bernards road that is good for bulk buying of veggies etc....................eg $3 for a 5 kilo bag of onions, $3 for a 5 kilo bag of peppers and yes, good quality stuff.

Its on the same side as target in newton heading towards penfold winery.

Happy shopping :)

Guest kangomik

Good point made about tin foods, the UK was cheaper as i remember. Shopping for veg is a nightmare from week to week.

I ask the newcommers because they have the most recent comparrison. Especially with the exchange rate, i work with some people who still work out at quid to $2.80, the new people come at around $1.75.

This makes a huge difference, cars, houses and indeed food will be a lot dearer for you guys.

What about wages? with this swing in the rate do you guys (ones lucky to have found a job by now) find that your on more money compared to £?

HG good point about the sports, and also travelling around is a lot cheaper probably due to fuel costs.

Just a tip for the new people, the sales go in cycles and things are cheaper at certain times of the year, for example if you want a Barbie round about April K'Mart etc do a sale and some of the big ones are half price. End of year (June) is a good time to buy electrical stuff from Good Guys etc, they off load the stock quite cheap.

Guest kerfumph

In the same light are you paid more here than you where in the UK?

No, I am paid a pittance with little or no gratitude for my meticulous, highly skilled, professional expertise!:arghh:

Guest kangomik

I'll do your KPI on Monday Kerfumph, i'll bring that special toilet roll your always after so you can wipe your own ass for a change! LOL

I forgot to add, that cup as an avatar is quite appropriate don't you think ;o)

I hope your not booking till 3!

Guest kerfumph
I'll do your KPI on Monday Kerfumph, i'll bring that special toilet roll your always after so you can wipe your own ass for a change! LOL

I forgot to add, that cup as an avatar is quite appropriate don't you think ;o)

I hope your not booking till 3!

No, sometimes I'm too honest for my own good. I did that at lunch and then stayed till 7:p

It's more expensive to live here IMO.It is not outrageously expensive though,once you get"in the know"Like anything in life,you learn to adapt and find that half the crap you spent your money on in the UK is not relevant to your lifestyle here.There is more to do outdoors,and it's free,or near as dammit.Sun,Sea,Sand and exploring all over the place.Any pursuit you are interested in,be it fishing,cycling,table tennis,dancing or a thousand others,then there seems to be clubs and places you can go to fulfil your needs.It's good here,and well worth coming over,we all only get one life,so...

Guest kangomik

LOL @ Tyke, :biglaugh:

Good point sueoc, sometimes i sit back and wonder at just how much stuff we bought in the UK that we never needed or never used. A kind of "keeping up with the jones's" attitude, or impulse buying and everything going on credit makes it so easy.

I think it'd fair to say (and i know it's been said many times) that you have to live the Aussie Dollar, earn a dollar spend a dollar and stop converting back to pounds. I know i still do it on big ticket items, but it's less and less now.:goofy:

Thanks for keeping the post on track guys.

Guest Guest75
LOL @ Tyke, :biglaugh:

Good point sueoc, sometimes i sit back and wonder at just how much stuff we bought in the UK that we never needed or never used. A kind of "keeping up with the jones's" attitude, or impulse buying and everything going on credit makes it so easy.

I think it'd fair to say (and i know it's been said many times) that you have to live the Aussie Dollar, earn a dollar spend a dollar and stop converting back to pounds. I know i still do it on big ticket items, but it's less and less now.:goofy:

Thanks for keeping the post on track guys.

I wondered this too Mik.

In my post a while back about our trip back to the UK I commented on the "conspicuous consumerism"

There was just far too much choice,did I need 63 types of dip to make my life complete?

I came here for less stress so having less to choose and confuse suits me.:)

Guest kangomik

Tyke mate i think you hit the nail on the head.

A more laid back life style was one of the things on the list, and i think we have that here. Relaxed lifestyle and more to do at a slower speed, especially where the weather is concerned. I don't know if you can put a price on that, but it's got to be better for you in the long run.

Well it would be if this bloody gardening doesn't kill me:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75

Hard call about the weather- in one respect it means an awful lot here but to some it seems a shallow reason for making the move.

I enjoy paddling :biglaugh:

Good luck with the gardening - you would go and buy a house!

I've at least 10 ton of firewood to shift / split and stack :shocked:

the best way to move forward and begin to enjoy life out here was for us to stop comparing everything to the yUk, what ever went before had gone this is the way we are living and no comparisons will ever change it !!!

All it does is maybe start do give you doubts over what you have done, sure some things are better some worse.

but for us things are alot better here...

HG