Not for the home sick :)

Guest cazandbrad

Guest cazandbrad

just thought i would share my perfect english (yes english) weekend with you

made me realise i will miss parts of england

woke up to snow on saturday morning! lots of it and the nice thick stuff too no sludge! took the kids sleighing on the banks opposite our house, were quite a few there all with their dogs and kids.

later on walked up to the pub in the snow with brad for my xmas do, had the table infront of the fire gorgeous english pub food, few tears at the end realising it was my last christmas here :(

and on sunday went christmas shopping, everyone wearing their santa's hats brought the turkey etc (which i dont think i will be cooking in oz! too warm!) then went to the pantomine at night which kids absolutly loved!

a really really nice english christmas weekend which has made me realise that i am going to miss the english christmas so much!

convince me with your australian christmas things please!

:wubclub:

Guest The Dimmocks

Sounds lovely. I been getting some of them feelings, think it the seeing family that not seen for a while as it Christmas, and knowing that this will be the last one. Visiting places and thinking this will probably be the last time we come here.

I looking forward to our next christmas in Australia. When you planning on going over?

Happy Christmas and New Year.

Michelle

Guest sarahsmartiepants

It doesnt snow at christmas every year in england, ...............just like its not hot here every christmas in Adelaide. you would probably want to cook your turkey this year. When I went to bed last night the weather was saying 4o and rain xmas eve , 22 xmas day, plenty cool enough for a roast!:biglaugh:

Guest thekings

The snow is very nice on Christmas day only and in pictures :biglaugh:

This too is hopefully our last Christmas in England, and yes it is a little sad at times knowing this is our last but we are really looking forward to Christmas next year in Adelaide.

I'm not going to miss the cold, dark winters, witha million tons of salt causing more hassle than its worth (has ruined me trousers and shoes :arghh:)

Someone said to me today "well you wont be able to do a snow angel" my reply " thats ok I'll make a sand angel instead on the beach...in me shorts" :biglaugh:

Guest Guest75

Christmas is not a big thing here with us now.

Little Tyke turned 20 yesterday, we did have great Christmas mornings with her and our family back in the UK.We enjoyed sharing Little Tyke's excitement.

Presents bought and wrapped ( well I've a couple to do),Ham bought in for Christmas day. The weather is typical for this time of year (30c +).

Nipping out on the boat for a little fishing session ,hoping to bag a a decent sized Snapper for Boxing Day lunch.

Werather forecast is windy for Christmas Day, we were hoping to have a lazy day out on the boat really - hard life innit??

We do have Christmas in July ,coldest time of year here,just right for the full Christmas roast.

In fact we did it in September this year :)

Guest guest3462

Well, this is going to be our first christmas here in Adelaide and I have to admit that it took a while to get into the festive spirit due to the weather, but now it's only 3 sleeps to go we are all really excited. It's glorious here and all the summer flowers are in full bloom......and there is a serious lack of stressful shopping! Everything seems well, just so laid back and there's no dramas at all.

I collected my xmas meat from the butcher yesterday and ambled round the shops at my own pace. I have managed to get everything that the girls asked for without having to fight for it or traipse round 17 different argos's to find one and I dare even say that it has been fun???!!!!

Christmas dinner for us is going to be a "family" affair. we are spending the day with our aussie family (the friends we have made since being here) on the beach in the early part of the day followed by a traditional dinner. There are 20 of us and we are having the full works, turkey, ham, pigs in blankets and the lot!!

When we spoke to my parents on skype last night, dad took the laptop outside to show us the snow and it did make me feel a bit emotional, up til that point i'd not really thought about it, but I did have a little weep when they said their goodbyes as this will be the first christmas that we've never seen our parents! But hooray for skype and we'll have it on on xmas morning so they can see the girls unwrapping their gifts.

I think it's an important time for us, really bringing it home that we have moved so very far away from "home" but also a very exciting time that we are here and loving it. We've got our santa hats and we'll see you on the beach!!!!

Wishing everyone a very merry christmas and a prosperous 2010!!!!!

JC

Sorry cant.

I luv Adelaide and so glad we came here..but xmas!!!!!

It's the only time of year I wish I was back in the u.k

This is our 3rd xmas and each xmas seems to get worse. Trying so hard to get in the xmas spirit:biglaugh:

Its the only drawback of living here.

Guest Woody and Jane

Hi all, this is our first christmas, only been here 5 weeks and I have to work christmas eve, christmas day and boxing day. So its just the same as the uk for me.....but we are invited to a barbie on the beach which will be lots of fun.

Im with you Nick11... OUr 3rd xmas here too....Our first xmas was quite exciting, we made a big effort with friends on the beach and then back to ours for a bbq....last year my parents were here and we did the same.....problem is with that...is that we've been down the beach and having bbqs every saturday - so feels like a normal day.....(only with a xmas hat on)

So, this year, we're going to do a Turkey with all the trimmings...just the 4 of us - will probably go to beach at some point - even if for a nice long walk. But spend time with our kids with their new games etc.

I do like the fact that theres no stress - the shops are still quite quiet .....but i do miss that xmassy feeling run up to the big day..........but its a small sacrafice we have to make for this beautiful place.

Happy Christmass y'all

sarahx

Im with you Nick11... OUr 3rd xmas here too....Our first xmas was quite exciting, we made a big effort with friends on the beach and then back to ours for a bbq....last year my parents were here and we did the same.....problem is with that...is that we've been down the beach and having bbqs every saturday - so feels like a normal day.....(only with a xmas hat on)

So, this year, we're going to do a Turkey with all the trimmings...just the 4 of us - will probably go to beach at some point - even if for a nice long walk. But spend time with our kids with their new games etc.

I do like the fact that theres no stress - the shops are still quite quiet .....but i do miss that xmassy feeling run up to the big day..........but its a small sacrafice we have to make for this beautiful place.

Happy Christmass y'all

sarahx

SNAP SARAH!

1st xmas was great - xmas on beach with a few friends,secret santa and lots of laughs.

2nd xmas at friends. Was lovely but no xmas spirit at all.

This year were having friends coming to ours for dinner and a few more coming at night. We have decided we are doing party games,charades etc and making sure the kids don't watch tv- as we'll be entertaining them!!!!

Xmas day is the only day of the year I wish I was in the uk - the other 364 days I feel blessed to be here.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Sounds very nice but gotta admit i dont miss the cold and snow one little bit.

This is my second xmas here and still feels strange on being cold and wet but loving it.

Guest kelv&haley

jc's post may my eyes all teary,we've been here 8 weeks and xmas isnt the same at all.........the heat being the main thing stopping me feeling festive,there's no sitting watching xmas films with the tree lights twinkling(cos its still light way past the childrens bedtime)......and as previously commented the shops are not hectic at all,it's bizarre,but my children are getting very excited with only three more sleeps til santa,and for them the magic is the same hot or cold,im sure when i see how excited they are on xmas morning i will forget this rather dull build up to xmas,and my 6 yr old has been making sand angels on the beach as we arent in the english snow..............but we dont usually have snow in england,just frickin freezin drizzle and with oh being a brickie for our bank balance we take the sun any day............merry xmas to you all,i think it is just best to accept that xmas is just different and try not to dwell on the ideal of the english xmas,cos it wasnt that perfect anyway, and i know i moaned last winter about how cold i was and scrapping ice off the car etc,so right now adelaide has my vote, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxhaley xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest nishman

First Year - we'd only been here a couple of months - Christmas in the pool (just the 4 of us)

Second & Third Year - Christmas on the beach

This Year - Christmas in our OWN house in the NEW pool (We have M Rann coming around at 10am to cut the ribbon) :D I don't care if it's "only" going to be 22°C - that's what wet-suits are for! LOL

We might make it down to the beach this year to make some sand men (instead of snow men). For us, Christmas evening is then time to send photo's back to the UK ready for their Christmas morning - Merry Christmas from Oz and all that :)

I guess we're lucky that every year OH's mum comes out early in the new year, so that we have the "family" christmas then

Personally I think that we built Christmas into a really big event because it was to cold, dark and miserable to do anything else! You go to work in the dark, come home in the dark and are desperate for some excitement. Domestic violence and depression is at an all time high in the UK at Christmas when expectations may not be reached and everyone have a 'fantastic' time (either that or have September babies!).

Yes, seeing family and friends is fantastic but we saw them all year not just at Christmas so do not miss them 'more' at Christmas.

Dont look back with rose coloured glasses, enjoy the differences and you will be fine.

Merry Christmas to you all and a very happy New Year (wherever you are)

Catherine

We are coming up to our 5th Christmas here and to be perfectly honest I would happily skip the entire thing - I am an atheist so obviously don't have all the god thing and without the extended family Christmas seems to have boiled down to just the presents - which is not an attitude that I like (having teenagers doesn't help in that respect). Have tried lots of things over the years but to be honest it is just like any other day. Once the kids leave home I think we will drop Christmas all together.

I agree with Catherine - I think the UK style Christmas is related to the cold and trying to cheer you up which is something we just don't need here in the middle of summer.

On the flip side - I so do not miss the snow, the dark, the drizzle, dark nights or grumpy relatives!!

Nikki - bah humbug ;)

That's the phrase I was thinking of...xmas day is just like any other day in oz.

On the positive side I never have new years blues and sink into the depths of depression like I did in the uk.

It's a funny old world!!!!

Guest Guest75

Sorry cant.

I luv Adelaide and so glad we came here..but xmas!!!!!

It's the only time of year I wish I was back in the u.k

This is our 3rd xmas and each xmas seems to get worse. Trying so hard to get in the xmas spirit:biglaugh:

Its the only drawback of living here.

We are a bit like that with some family.

Our closest friends here are on a cruise over Xmas as well.

Guest UK2Adelaide

I second Nicks comment above this is our second Christmas but it really doesnt feel like it, why I ask myself because it all comes down to familiarity, when you've had year after year of the cold weather, the hussle bussle of last minute shopping and all the stress that comes with it, this just doesnt feel right being so chilled and organized, I never thought I would hear myself making a comment like that, but I miss the UK at Christmas and I think deep down most poms do!!!

Guest The Dimmocks
Personally I think that we built Christmas into a really big event because it was to cold, dark and miserable to do anything else! You go to work in the dark, come home in the dark and are desperate for some excitement. Domestic violence and depression is at an all time high in the UK at Christmas when expectations may not be reached and everyone have a 'fantastic' time (either that or have September babies!).

Yes, seeing family and friends is fantastic but we saw them all year not just at Christmas so do not miss them 'more' at Christmas.

Dont look back with rose coloured glasses, enjoy the differences and you will be fine.

Merry Christmas to you all and a very happy New Year (wherever you are)

Catherine

All our babies are September babies LOL. Wasn't anything to do with it being Christmas though ....... Just happened when it happened :)