How far is too far?

Guest Mackem

To Commute to work every day that is.

Looking to get over there this year and was curious as to how the Australians view commuting.

I was looking at maybe 1 hour each way max.

Am I mad ?

Guest nishman

An hour each way will soon lose it's appeal. I drive around 40mins each way, which can stretch to nearer an hour if I catch the traffic. Saying that, I can take a minor detour on my way home to get an excellent ocean drive home to make up for it :) I do find the longer drive (longer than the 10-15mins I was used to in the UK) means that I've had time to resolve most of the days events at work in my mind, and am ready to relax when I'm at home.If you're looking for a black and white split, I would say that in general poms tolerate longer commutes than aussies.

Totally agree with everything Sally has written above!

Also if you are looking for a job, some employers won't even look at you if they see you've got more than about a half hours commute into work from where you live, so you'd be cutting down on your job prospects!

Adelaide used to be known as the "20-minutes City" but I reckon 30 minutes is more like it these days (it's all us migrants on the roads, you know!) and for me, anything much more than 30 minutes each way, dealing with zillions of traffic lights, hidden speed cameras, stupid drivers and constantly changing limits would drive me mad (madder!)

Guest Guest75

Here we go - it'll be the North vs South debate next:err::err:

Mackem.

It's what you choose.Make no definite decisions until you get here.

You might want to try renting further out to try before you buy.

:):)

Adelaide is becoming a huge sprawl now so many people are commuting longer distances.

Guest nishman

I wouldn't say it's as simple as a north-south debate anymore Tyke - I know people that travel from Gawler and the like to the city, which is about the same as Seaford Rise in terms of distance/time. Adelaide is a long-thin sprawl that is getting longer by the day.

I'd say it's more inner burbs vs outer burbs. And at the end of the day, that'll be determined by affordability and other lifestyle choices FOR YOU.

Bear in mind that the CBD is not the be all and end all when it comes to work (depending on your line of work of course). There are "hots spots" North and South (and East/West) as well as in the regional areas (Mt Gambier, Pt Augusta, Pt Lincoln - SA is more than just Adelaide).

Also, people like building tradies often have to commute longer to get to a site (for instance, the guy that put our solar in for the pool, came from Galwer). It might be a 10minute commute one day, and a 90minuter the next!

I actually have about 30 minutes drive to work, but I allow an hour because all you need is a bit of roadworks or an accident, and everything falls apart. If I get there in 30 minutes, it means I have time to go have breakfast in a cafe near to where I work :), if I don't I go hungry, but still get to work on time.

It really does depend on where you work and where you live - my drive is on the Grand Junction Road, which is at least two lanes almost all the way, 60 limit in most places, 80 in others, so apart from the traffic lights, a pretty straightforward East to West drive. However, if I was trying to get for instance from north east to south west the same distance would take a lot longer and be a lot more hassle. And from Gawler to Seaford Rise - eeek!! Giving me palpitations just thinking about it! I know when I took the kids to Greenhills in the holidays, the drive back from the southern suburbs to here (once I was off the main Victor Harbor Road) seemed endless (even with Matthew Reilly on CD to listen to all the way!)

Some places a bit out of the city are lovely (McLaren Vale for instance in the south, Barossa in the north), but if my workplace was more than 45 minutes drive away on a good day, I'd save them for day trips and weekends away rather than choosing to live there.

And the CBD might not be the be-all and end-all of Adelaide, but it's still the place where there's most going on - Fringe, Big Day Out, other festivals, shows, sporting events, concerts, top level sports teams, nightlife etc, so I wouldn't want to be so far from there that a night out meant a proposterous taxi fare home afterwards!

Just my opinions though, and obviously if everyone felt the same, Highbury would be damn crowded (and I wouldn't like it then!)

Guest Bluenose

I live in a small Country town and commute 45mins to the city every day (well almost every day) been doing it for 11 years....I don't have a problem because I love where I live.

I guess it all depends on the individual....some of my friends think it's to far.....meh....that's their opinion. I've found that ppl in Oz tend not to visit or just pop no matter where you live. It seems like everything has to be arranged of a formal invite. So we tend to do all the visiting or popping in....problem solvered.

My opinion is...decide where you want to live and then work out if you're prepared to travel....it really is that simple.

Cheers

J

Guest alibongo

yes lynsteve - we are nutters too did a flying visit to Ayres rock 3500km in 5 days!!

I dont think the travelling is too bad over here I travel 30 mins to go to work and hubby does 45 mins to the city every day. Generally I havent found the traffic too busy although the drivers can be a little suspect at times..

I would wait and see when you get here what you think

Ali

I live in the Mitcham fothills and commute to Murray Bridge (50mins each way) every day. It's approximately 150km returntrip daily, no les stressful than my daily commutes when living in London fora much shorter distance. Thinking time there; decompression on the way back. Honestly it's swins & roundabouts. As SH said it is all down to personal preference. Good luck. Bodie.

Job is in Port Pirie and I was looking at maybe living in Port Broughton.

Reasoning behind it being its a bit closer to Adelaide for the wife ( she wont be working )

Any other reccomendations of places "commutable" greatly received.

Steve.

Guest mayjess

I used to drive an hour to work, it was extremely tiring and emotionally draining also for me, ideally I will not do it again when i arrive in April! that is if I am lucky enought o get a nice job!

Mayjess

I don't know the area around Port Pirie, but I think Port Broughton will just be a little place, and still quite a long way from Adelaide - you might be better off looking at distances from Port Augusta to Port Pirie as that is a bigger town and your wife will be able to get to know people round there. I think if you were in Port Broughton, it would be pretty unfeasible for your wife to "nip" down to Adelaide to meet people for coffee for instance! If you haven't already done so, have a look at the different council areas around Port Pirie on this website:

southaustralia.biz - Regional SA - EasyData

If you click on the Yorke and mid-North Region , you'll be able to zoom in, then each council area has a bit you can access "About Port Pirie"/"About Wakefield" etc

In my experience country communities in rural SA tend to be very friendly and supportive, so I'm sure your wife will soon get to know the locals and you can save trips to Adelaide for occasional outings, when it won't matter that the drive will be 1-2 hours.

Guest Guest5035
Job is in Port Pirie and I was looking at maybe living in Port Broughton.

Reasoning behind it being its a bit closer to Adelaide for the wife ( she wont be working )

Any other reccomendations of places "commutable" greatly received.

Steve.

PB to Adelaide is 160kms each way, at least 2 hours driving each way.

stevo.

We live at Sellicks Beach - which can be a 50 min to an hour commute to the city. I do not personally have a commute as long as that. Mine is just 30 mins but at the end of the day we love coming home to our beach side resort. My husband says he uses the driving time to wind down and use the air con in the car to cool off and most evenings we will pop down the beach when he gets home.

As said above it is a personal choice but the commute has not been a problem for us as what we return is well worth the drive.

(also have a baby on the lap while trying to type)

Yes depending on the size and awakeness of the baby, not that easy! I call it NAKing (nursing at keyboard!).

Sellicks Beach is lovely, DH's uncle and auntie have a house there, very nice. What they do is live in the city in the week and Sellicks at the weekend. Luxury tho to be able to do that, innit?!

I drive between 40 and 50 minutes into the city centre. Its a doddle compaired to UK commuting. Its a beautiful drive into the City and on the way home its amazing with views of the sea

Husband had to drive to Keith and back in a day and he loved that drive

I don't agree that employers won't look at you if you live 20 mins outside the City I have 2 jobs and they both say its great where I live and appreciate it more that I am willing to commute to work with them.

I also know of someone else who lived in Semaphore and commuted to Vic Harbour every day

As usual it comes down to personal choice and what you feel comfortable with regarding distance.

Plus the lifestyle here makes up for any driving you have to do