DVD help

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

My brother is visiting this week and has given me a DVD of where we used to live in the UK, but it will not play on the PC or any of the DVD players we have. Does anyone know if i can download something or have any ideas.

Stevo

Guest Guest5035
To change the region on your computer;

1. Open Control Panel

2. Open "Clock, Language and Region"

3. Then open "Change country or region"

Don't forget you can only do this 4 times then it locks to whatever region you have put in last.

Think i get this i will have a play now..............might need the kids...i've had a beer!!!

Stevo

HOpefully you get it sorted! Better to try to keep it to all regions if you can, because then you can play English and Australian stuff (or American for that matter!). We bought an all regions one for that reason when we were in England cos the inlaws used to send us DVDs a fair bit.

Does anyone know what happens once you've used up all 4 trys on your computer? Only asking out of curiosity. Presumably someone somewhere can show you a cheat to fix that back up again if it lands on the wrong one?

And while I am on techy questions, what happens if we make a DVD on our computer - from own video footage etc. Would the DVD we produce be region 4, or would it be playable anywhere?

Does anyone know what happens once you've used up all 4 trys on your computer? Only asking out of curiosity. Presumably someone somewhere can show you a cheat to fix that back up again if it lands on the wrong one?

You're stuffed - did this on my last laptop, rebuild the thing, and it was still stuck on the wrong region. MUCH better to get the code and make into multi-region.

DVD Player and Blu-ray Player region codes - VideoHelp.com

If you go to this website and enter the make and model it will give you a code and you just have to switch the DVD machine on without a disc and enter the code via the remote and it should play anything after.

Thanks for this, I knew there were websites with these codes on but hadn't got round to finding them. Now our DVD player is multi-region I can watch the Star Trek Next Gen DVDs I got for Christmas !! :GEEK: Engage !!

Guest Woody and Jane

Just thought I'd add my two penneth.

Region 2 and 4 are exactly the same. You don't need a multi region/region free DVD player to play them. If you bought your DVD player in the UK it will play all Aussie bought DVDs and vice versa.

There is always the chance that the disc is faulty or you don't have the right software on your PC to play what's on the disc. Just becasue the disc is a DVD doesn't mean it contains a DVD movie. It could just contain a Quicktime, avi or other movie format file on it.

Woody.

Guest Guest5035

Tried swapping regions on the PC, no luck, tried all 3 DVD players no luck, tried the Playstation 3 no luck, then tried my lads laptop and it played a bit but kept freezing, but sound was on all the time. On this PC kept saying MP4 player and Codec system required???

Stevo

Guest Woody and Jane
Tried swapping regions on the PC, no luck, tried all 3 DVD players no luck, tried the Playstation 3 no luck, then tried my lads laptop and it played a bit but kept freezing, but sound was on all the time. On this PC kept saying MP4 player and Codec system required???

Stevo

Hi Stevo

Try downloading VLC Media Player, it plays pretty much anything. If you don't fancy installing any 3rd party software you could try checking for updates on Windows Media player. Older versions won't have the most up-to-date codecs.

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

Woody.

Guest Guest5035
Hi Stevo

Try downloading VLC Media Player, it plays pretty much anything. If you don't fancy installing any 3rd party software you could try checking for updates on Windows Media player. Older versions won't have the most up-to-date codecs.

VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player

Woody.

Just got the same nod elsewhere, works a treat.

VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!

Stevo

Only the big manufacturers use 'regions'. It's so they can charge more for dvds in areas where the sales aren't as great as they are in the US, and to stuff up people who try to buy them on the internet. :sad:

Get a cheap dvd player, it'll be multi-region. Best one I have was a $29 special offer when I bought a movie from Easy-DVD.

Guest PhilC

If you have no luck with VLC Player, get hold of a copy of AnyDvd, it will allow your PC to play any dvd from any region and bypass the built in region specific stuff in windoze. Works with all our DVDs from the UK and the ones we have bought here - they have an HD version too if you have any Blu-rays - well worth the money.

SlySoft AnyDVD | any dvd, region free, dvd copy, copy dvd movies, dvd decoder, dvd ripper, macrovision, dvd copying software

Edit: and yes it is legit and completely legal to use.