What do you miss about England? Need ideas for British stall...

Sallyh

The reason I am asking, is that a friend in Canada has volunteered to do a British stall for some kind of womens expo. So she needs to think of English / British things to have on display, maybe an activity to 'do', etc.

What is quintissentially British???

Apparently they don't hang washing out in Canada, (like America) so clothes line has been suggested!

If you were doing a British stall here, what would you put on it, to give people an idea of British culture / food / etc?

Guest thekings

An umberella for a start :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Bowler hat

Battered Cod & Chips

Warm bitter :arghh:

British Bobby :policeman:

Red telephone boxes (rare now)

The Queen

BTW I wont necessarily miss these things, just think they are very british.

Ah, good plan for an activity! Cup of (good) tea and a biscuit to learn how to dunk. Assuming Canadians don't do that sort of thing!

Keep them coming!

My personal favourite biscuit to miss is bourbons. I really miss sneaking them behind cupboard doors when the children were looking. I used to give days bourbon ratings...

Typically Northern but maybe not typically British is a old gentleman, sitting in the corner of a pub, reading the gee gee race time table, sipping half a pint of warm beer, with a whippet by his feet.

Go into any pub "up North" and you'll see the guy I mean ;)

Guest nishman

Soon after we arrived, I did a interview for the tizer and they wanted to theme it with photo to highlight something "typcially British". I brought along a dimpled pint pot and a four pack of Boddingtons (chilled though, never warm) :)

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie Pat's other half here

I wouldn't say I miss much - I like both UK and Australia and appreciate the positives of both. But anyway - an Ordnance Survey map, an aerial photo, or any photo, of the Yorkshire Dales, and/or the Lake District, a photo of a British pub, kids playing soccer or any game on a freezing/ rainy winter's day with their faithful parents shivering on the touchlines.

I suppose you'd have to have a Man U shirt hanging on the stand too - probably with Beckham's name on it! - as when my sister has travelled around the world, even in the most remote African villages, when they hear she's from England they chant "David Beckham" and "Manchester United"...

Guest JayBone

Marmite

Traffic Jams,

The Avon Lady,

Imperial Leather soap,

The Lake District,

The classic British car Mechanic with the 'tooth dryer' inhalation of air when you tell him what's wrong!

People with two lions from the garden centre outside their front door??...Gnomes!!

etc etc

Bonfire night? Hooligans running around throwing bangers etc in letterboxes, no thanks!!!

You cynic, you! Mylor fireworks is..... big bonfire with kids toasting marshmallows on the end of long sticks....hot pumpkin soup available by the cupful....hot sausages for sale....mulled wine....kids running around in a big field with glow sticks, having fun....fantastic organised firework display and lots of "oohs" and "aahs"! They don't symbolically burn a set of old clothes, sewn together to resemble a man and stuffed with newspaper, but in every other respect it's just as I remember the best Guy Fawkes nights back in the UK!

If you have kids (or even if you haven't) it's a wonderful night, and costs something ridiculously cheap like $10 for a family, however many of you there are!!

Almost makes me look forward to the winter here!