Moving to Adelaide in July

Guest adelaideinjuly

Guest adelaideinjuly

Hi there

i will be immigrating to Adelaide in July 2010 on 475 visa , staying with friends for a week or two and then staying using " on arrival assistance " service , any useful tips , i do need it .

thanks

... any useful tips .....

thanks

Bring some jumpers in your packed luggage! We came in August and although it felt fairly warm during the day (16 degrees and we headed for the beach, wondering why no-one else was there!), we had foolishly put all our jumpers in our container and all the shops here were selling summer stuff so it was a struggle buying something for the cooler evenings!!

Guest shella_n
Bring some jumpers in your packed luggage! We came in August and although it felt fairly warm during the day (16 degrees and we headed for the beach, wondering why no-one else was there!), we had foolishly put all our jumpers in our container and all the shops here were selling summer stuff so it was a struggle buying something for the cooler evenings!!

Hi

Our contaimer is leavih this week and Im trying to work ot what to put in suitcase..we get there in June..shall I bring coats for the kids or are jumpers suffiient?

Thanks

Guest saraho

hi i moved over here last june i would say to bring coats for the kids it does get a little chilly some days, even if they dont wear them at least you got them do you no were abouts you will be movin to,

Guest glitter

We moved out in July, 4 years ago and it was freezing!!! We bought light weight duvets in Australia until our container arrived with the heavy weight ones. We were freezing, we had to buy fleecy blankets for the beds. Definately bring jumpers and jackets, no one realises how cold it gets here, when the sun is out its really lovely but a dull damp day - you will need your British layers!!

Guest johnthepom

Yeah i agree electric blanket is needed for those chilly nights!

Dont expect to rely on public transport its not great in Adelaide, think about about getting a car asap from gumtree.com.au or autotrader.com.au

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than starting another thread, I was thinking about coming to Adelaide in August, thinking that it would have started warming up by then, therefore having the UK summer (lol) and then go straight into the Adelaide spring. Would leaving it an extra month or so be a little better? Sept/Oct??

Guest glitter

Winter in Adelaide can be lovely. When I arrived in June, I managed to sunbathe in the garden regularly. My Australian friends thought I was mad, however I didnt feel cold to me. They say you climatize when you live here and I believe thats true. You are going to have to get used to the winters anyway so I would suggest you get here when ever suits your work/life circumstances and leave the weather to chance. Good Luck